The Holiday Books

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

The Holiday Books

Post by Timmylover »

Am new to the society, so may be asking a question that could be answered elsewhere on the site.
I have just started sorting through some of my (now grown-up) children's books in order to extract the Blytons and add them to my main collection, and have discovered four Holiday Books. The first, I assume that's what it is as it's just titled 'The Enid Blyton Holiday Book', doesn't have a printed date but does have a Christmas 1949 inscription. The Second, Third and Twelfth Holiday books also don't have dates. I think I must have bought the Twelfth second hand, and that only the first three were my original childhood books. Could anybody please tell me what years the Holiday books were published, and did they originally have dust jackets? The First and Second are bound in orange cloth, with orange spines. The Third is also orange, with a green spine. The Twelfth is pale blue, with a dark blue spine.

Hope someone can help me with this, and any more information about the Holiday books.
Thanks.
Last edited by Timmylover on 10 Aug 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Holiday Books

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That's what the Cave of Books is here for Timmylover, it isn't just for Timmy to chase rabbits into! :lol:

Here are your Holiday Books.
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

hello
Tony Summerfield wrote:That's what the Cave of Books is here for Timmylover, it isn't just for Timmy to chase rabbits into! :lol:

Here are your Holiday Books.
i was just wondering if these holiday books are rare?
when i go into different shops i have never seen any holiday books.

are these a sort of series or short stories?

Leila
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't think they are particularly rare, I have the Second, Fifth, Seventh and Ninth which I got on eBay. Some, such as the second holiday book seem to appear much more frequently than others though. The Holiday books are full of short stories with a few poems, puzzles and activities thrown in, and if you follow the link Tony posted earlier you can see the contents for yourself.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Fiona1986 wrote:I don't think they are particularly rare, I have the Second, Fifth, Seventh and Ninth which I got on eBay. Some, such as the second holiday book seem to appear much more frequently than others though. The Holiday books are full of short stories with a few poems, puzzles and activities thrown in, and if you follow the link Tony posted earlier you can see the contents for yourself.
thanks fiona, i did look in the link what tony had posted but as there were 12 holiday books
i just wondered if they where a series,

Leila
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Must say I like the big 'Annual' size of my only EB 'Holiday Book' - the ninth. Great coloured illustrations, too.

Don't have the dustjacket, more's the pity.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have 11 of the holiday books all bought from second hand book shops over the last few years. Unfortunately none with dustjackets.

Does any one know why they were called 'holiday' books, were they issued for the summer holidays, or Christmas? The pictures on the inside have mainly summer type themes, but 2 or 3 of mine also have inscriptions which suggests they were given as Christmas presents.

None of mine have a date of publishing in them, and I'd always assumed (rather hopefully) that they must be 1st editions, but I've just noticed that my copy of the 6th holiday book is dated Christmas 1953, which dates it 2 years after the first publication. I'm guessing these books must have been quite popular and around for several years, although I'd never heard of them until I spotted a couple in a shop about 5 or 6 years ago.

Anyone out there have any knowlege they can share?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Unfortunately the Cave of Books does not allow me to put in a month of publication, but I can tell you that all were published in July, August or September and I believe that is why they were called Holiday books as they were published for the summer holidays. At that time school holidays tended to be in August and the first half of September. They were actually published as annuals and as the last one (12) came out in 1957, all would be undated as Sampson Low didn't start putting any dates into their books until 1958.

They were obviously published in huge numbers as they are relatively common and fairly easy to pick up, but for some reason the dustwrappers tore very easily and copies with nice dustwrappers are quite hard to find. You also want to check that they have their colour plates when you buy them. I have recently been putting some of these into the centre pages of Journals.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thank you Tony, that's very interesting. I wondered why some books have dates and other don't. I hadn't made the connection that publishers had differences.

Although I only noticed them in book shops a few years ago, I have seen quite a few since I have been looking for them, although as I previously mentioned, not with dustwrappers. I wonder if the size of the books had any bearing on the dustwrappers tearing more easily?

I'm probably being a bit thick, but I can't think what you mean by them having their colour plates. A couple of them are a bit worn, having puzzles filled in etc., but I haven't noticed anything obvious missing. I shall definitely have to subscribe to the journal to see the centre pages you mention :!:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

All the Holiday Books have eight colour plates - in other words eight shiny pages printed in full colour (actually just four pages with a colour illustration on both sides)as opposed to the rest of the book which simply uses illustrations printed in two colours.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Tony Summerfield wrote:You also want to check that they have their colour plates when you buy them.
Tony Summerfield wrote:All the Holiday Books have eight colour plates - in other words eight shiny pages printed in full colour (actually just four pages with a colour illustration on both sides)as opposed to the rest of the book which simply uses illustrations printed in two colours.
Worth knowing, Tony, as the only mention of the plates in the Contents of #9 is the rather vague:
  • Colour Plates by
    GRACE LODGE

Thus it is only from your post that I now know no plates are missing from my solitary Holiday Book!

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :)