Enid Blyton Diary 1949

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Neasa

Enid Blyton Diary 1949

Post by Neasa »

Hello everyone!

Am looking for the collins enid blyton diary that was printed in 1949. 8)

I know there was information of hobbies, world records, camping and loads more, plus a picture of the British Empire. Hoping to get some more info on it, and see if she wrote any other diarys!

I'm also posting here to see if there's any collectors out there who have one and are willing to part with it! :wink:

Regards Neasa
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hi Neasa,

Check out the back page of Journal 25, which I know you have. I did a feature on the Enid Blyton Diaries there and you will see that there are plenty more and they contain a wealth of information.

As for finding a copy that's going to be hard, they come up on ebay occasionally, but normally fetch a pretty good price.

Best wishes
Tony
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

Yes, there was one on ebay a few weeks ago and it went for quite a lot (I can't remember the exact price, but it was more than I could afford at the time :-()
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

I purchased a diary (can not recall the year) on Ebay about 6 months ago for £20. Sadly (and probably not surprising considering how old it was) the diary was in a dreadful state with the diary falling apart, most of the actual 'diary' pages had been torn out or were missing. Unfortunately and much to my disappointment this had not been mentioned in the listing so I had to send it back and get my money back.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I sympathise, Steve. A few weeks ago I bid on eBay for some Enid Blyton's Magazines in bound volumes. When they arrived, I discovered that there were pages missing from every single magazine in every single volume! I sorted things out with the seller, who was apologetic, but it was still very disappointing.

Anita
penedawn

Re: Enid Blyton Diary 1949

Post by penedawn »

I had Enid Blyton Diaries for several years, including 58-61ish, although I have them no more, but what is this 'Journal' you refer to in the above entry you answered in 2006? I would like to see the information you mention? I don't remember much of the content of the diaries, although there were lots of hints and suggestions that were so exciting and new, in the days when we were quite protected from the world outside the house. I have a feeling there was something one year that explaned how to take make a plaster of paris copy of an animal print. I remember asking my father what you wrote in a diary when I got the first one! He seemed surprised that I asked and suggested I wrote what had happened in the day, I wasn't sure what he meant as it sounded a strange concept at the time. I never wrote anything of significance for I feared my mother taking revenge if she read them. The diaries used to have a competition and one year they were based on choosing one of the pictures on the fly-leaf which were planes, boats, that type of thing. I chose an Easter Egg and wrote a story that I didn't keep a copy of and sent it in without telling my parents. I was one of the 50 runners up and my name was printed in the following year's diary. I was so proud. I would like to see that page just to remind myself how resilient I was against difficult odds. I got a book as a prize, signed by Enid Blyton, but it was Black Beauty and it always puzzled me that they had not sent me one of her books. Of course it was because the Diary was published by Collins and to my knowledge the book was also published by them, so I was interested to find this site and read the interesting bits from people all over the world who obviously experienced much of what I did as a child when I though I was so alone in my own little world - the arrogance and perplexities of childhood!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid Blyton Diary 1949

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

penedawn wrote:I had Enid Blyton Diaries for several years, including 58-61ish, although I have them no more, but what is this 'Journal' you refer to in the above entry you answered in 2006? I would like to see the information you mention?
The Journal is published thrice-yearly by the Enid Blyton Society, Penedawn (click on the "Fireside Journal" button over on the left for further information). It contains articles by various contributors (about different aspects of Blyton's life and works), uncollected stories, poems and articles by Enid Blyton, letters to/from Enid, features on things like Blyton-related ephemera or TV series, etc. Tony Summerfield edits the Journal and adds vintage illustrations - it's a work of art. On the back cover of Journal 25 , Winter 2004, is a full-colour picture of the display board used by shops for selling the Enid Blyton Diary, together with information about the publication of the diary.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member