The Story of My Life

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
akaito

Re: The Story of My Life

Post by akaito »

i've been looking for that book also...

i've even searching the net for pdf copy but can't find one...

but i've got to find one i'll post it here...
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe you need to check your signature links before submitting. Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of your time!

more technical stuff
Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

'The story of my life' is available for pre-order on Kindle, but will not be available until 4th August 2022!! Or at least that is what it says.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

As the original was published in 1952 it will be 70 years from publication, so sounds as though it may have something to do with copyright. However, as that 70 years law is linked to when the author dies then it can’t be that reason for the delay. :?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Splodj wrote:'The story of my life' is available for pre-order on Kindle, but will not be available until 4th August 2022!! Or at least that is what it says.
Most interesting Splodj - thank you.

I wonder which version will make it to the kindle edition, the original 1952 version or the later paperback slimmed down on internal pics and the opening letter from Enid 1986 edition?

The cave has the original:

First edition: 1952
Publisher: H.A. & W.L. Pitkin
Illustrator: Uncredited
Category: Non-series Non-fiction
Genre: Biography
Type: Non-Fiction Books
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... of+My+Life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REVIEW BY TERRY GUSTAFSON
In October 2007, I came across a copy of "The Story of my Life" that I'd never seen before. It's in paperback form produced by Grafton Books, c-1986 with a classic portrait of the author on the front (a copy of the picture can be seen at the top left hand corner of the Enid Blyton Society home-page). The "Letter" inside is dispensed with and so is Chapter 4 (the one devoted to Old Thatch). The photographs are reduced to just a few in the middle of Enid Blyton and her family. It's worth getting perhaps - but if it's photos you're after then stick with the original because that has over 75, plus a few pictures from the books.
I have a complete pdf electronic copy of the 1952 edition and also the 1986 paperback book version Terry refers to.
I don't think the cover of the 1986 paperback is in the cave, but as usual I could be wrong!

So yes, which version will amazon be offering on kindle in Aug 2022?

The Story of my Life Kindle Edition
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-my-Life- ... ext&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Table Of Contents & Original Letter From Enid 1952 edition:

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Somewhere in the house I have the original hardback. Or at least I presume it is this book because I have never really noticed the title, but it is a book by Blyton about herself and I don't think she wrote another. The bit that always intrigued me was when she described her writing technique: "There are two ways of writing a story ..." .
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't read The Story of My Life, but just from the photos Pete has shared, it's excellent to see that Joanna Lumley is another Blyton fan!!! :D (Fabulous, darling.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Splodj wrote:...The bit that always intrigued me was when she described her writing technique: "There are two ways of writing a story ..." .
Of course I had to look that section up in my two copies and compare them Splodj - I don't think their are any differences between the two versions.

An excerpt can be read for a short time here:

Enid Blyton - How I Write My Books

https://www.docdroid.net/4HIIDk6/enid-b ... -books-pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Thanks. Yes that is what I remember.

I'm pretty sure some of the surnames were not in any telephone directory!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Splodj wrote: I'm pretty sure some of the surnames were not in any telephone directory!
Hmmm, some of them (where their surnames are mentioned at all) are pretty ordinary, like Mannering and Trent and Cunningham for the Adventure series, but on the other hand, did Enid ever let on where she got the name Kirrin from? That's quite an unusual one.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Courtenay wrote: Hmmm, some of them (where their surnames are mentioned at all) are pretty ordinary, like Mannering and Trent and Cunningham for the Adventure series, but on the other hand, did Enid ever let on where she got the name Kirrin from? That's quite an unusual one.
If Enid ever holidayed in or visited Conwy, North Wales, maybe she saw THIS when she was there and was taken with the name. After all, it's next to a castle as well. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhg0vLLp90&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

akaito wrote:i've been looking for that book also...

i've even searching the net for pdf copy but can't find one...
I didn't think the book was that hard to get hold of - how many of us here own a copy of the hardback/paperback or have read it?

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have a copy - which I got in 1954. It has no date in it so I assume it's a first edition. I loved it! By then I had a quite a good collection of Blyton books and this was a great addition. Sadly I no longer have the dust wrapper.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

That's great Daisy - sad about the wrapper, but how many of us as children ever thought the dustjackets from our books would be so revered further down the line!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's true Pete. I even remember getting rid of several dustwrappers because they were so tattered and torn. Several survived though, for which I am now very grateful!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member