The Story of My Life

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Brenton

The Story of My Life

Post by Brenton »

I am on the hunt for Enid's autobiography "The Story of My Life", I think it's called. If anyone has a copy for me, can trade with them for it by giving them an Enid Blyton book I have.

Brenton
Gordon

Re: The Story of My Life

Post by Gordon »

Still looking for The Story of my Life?
Gordon
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

This is a very sacred book that I value even above the novels. In my opinion, it is one of the greatest autobiographies ever. In fact, recently, an Enid Blyton fan blogger sub-titled her blog with this title. In fact, several years ago, I sent in a question to the quiz show, Jeopardy, asking which two writers using the same title for their autobiography also died the same year. I gave them the answer-Helen Keller and Enid Blyton. I do not whether the show ever used this question in one of their shows as I do not watch it on a regular basis. At times, I take years without watching the show, but if they used ought to have legally compensated me by way of say, inviting me to participate in one of their quizzes. Nonetheless, some comparative facts about the two women is that both escaped death in childhood of what are now adays preventable diseases like whooping cough, scarlet fever and meningitis. In 1903, while Enid Blyton was about 6 years old (going onto 7), Helen Keller wrote her autobiography, titled, The Story Of My Life in which she heralded her struggles with both being blind and deaf. 49 years later, in 1952, Enid Blyton was aslo to title her own autobiography, The Story Of My Life. In 1961, while Helen Keller suffered a series of strokes, Enid Blyton's Dementia became apparent when she became hostile towards her own grandchildren as she could hardly remember them. Both Helen Kellerand Enid Blyton died in the same year i.e. within roughly five months apart from each other and both were cremated. There is no doubt that Helen Keller had profound influence on Enid Blyton as an inspiration in gender terms, thoughout her lives as both women had to face more or less similar struggles. I am surprised that Enid Blyton's autobiography is currently out of print. This is a book that ought not to be out of print. Many POD publishers oftentimes are on the lookout for out-of-print books of famous writers. Let us hope that one of these will take up the offer of reprinting this book.
Stephen I.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

One of the greatest autobiographies ever? Hardly. It is a very nice book (I recently acquired a copy) however seeing as it only talks about happy things and paints her life as wonderful in every aspect..... it's not a very honest book.

I also own and have half-read Helen Keller's autobiography (a copy from about 1905) and to me that is an infinitely better read as it details every aspect of her life - both the struggles and the joys.

Even Roald Dahl's books Boy and Going Solo (though easily readable by his younger fans) are a fantastic read - and have unhappy and frightening moments in them.

I really want to ask why the heck Jeopardy would a) pay you or b) ask you on their show because you submitted a question but I wont. Nor will I try to pick apart your supposing that Helen Keller had a lot in common with Enid Blyton. Nor will I ask you how the he--ck you can compare the struggles HK went through with the struggles of EB? Really? Being both blind and deaf vs you father leaving you living with your difficult mother?

I wish my life was half as delusional as that..... I'd have a great time!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote:One of the greatest autobiographies ever? Hardly. It is a very nice book (I recently acquired a copy) however seeing as it only talks about happy things and paints her life as wonderful in every aspect..... it's not a very honest book.
part of the reason I love 'The Story of my Life' is the fact that it IS not a very honest book. I think it tells a lot more about Enid Blyton, and the myth that she herself had created than she ever intended. With hindsight we can see the two sides of Enid Blyton, and are able to make our own judgements. As long as you read it as a piece of publicity, then it works well. I love the fact its from Enid's own mouth, and the fact that there are so many great pictures in there (even if most of them are posed). 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We have to remember that The Story of My Life was written for young fans who, in their letters, had asked Enid Blyton about her schooldays, her pets, her garden, her writing, her favourite books, etc. In discussing these topics, Enid focusses on details which would be of interest to children and it's not surprising (for the sake of her child readers as well as her public image) that she doesn't talk about things like her difficult relationship with her mother or her acrimonious divorce from her first husband. As an autobiography aimed at children keen to know more about an author whose books they enjoy, The Story of My Life is well-written and engaging and is more detailed than many modern books about children's authors, e.g. the Mammoth "Telling Tales" series. However, it can't honestly be said to rank as "one of the greatest autobiographies ever." Enid Blyton was aware that her life story had never really been told, which is why she asked her elder daughter Gillian Baverstock to write her biography. As we know, Gillian was not free to travel at the time because of her young family, so she passed the task on to Barbara Stoney who managed to unearth details of Blyton's life which even Gillian and Imogen hadn't known.
Fiona1986 wrote:...Nor will I try to pick apart your supposing that Helen Keller had a lot in common with Enid Blyton. Nor will I ask you how the he--ck you can compare the struggles HK went through with the struggles of EB? Really? Being both blind and deaf vs you father leaving you living with your difficult mother?
I was surprised at those claims too. The first time I heard of Helen Keller was when I read a brief summary of her life in a Wide Range Readers book at primary school, and I felt that she must have been a person of great patience and determination. I'd like to read her autobiography if I get the chance, as well as a biography covering the whole of her life. Is there a definitive biography that anyone can recommend?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You're both right about Enid's Story of my life - it's perfect for young readers wanting to know more about their favourite author - and yes it is a great example of the perfect image she created.

I just meant that such a book couldn't really be a contender in the 'greatest autobiography ever' category.... if we are using more traditional methods/opinion on judging it :)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

brenton wrote:I am on the hunt for Enid's autobiography "The Story of My Life", I think it's called. If anyone has a copy for me, can trade with them for it by giving them an Enid Blyton book I have.

Brenton
I am not quite sure why he didn't post in this thread, but Gordon, who posted under your original message, has just sent an email to the forums which ended up with me:-

Hello Brenon,

I not only have The Story of my Life, I have EB's OWN COPY of it!!

I cycled to Green Hedges in the early summer of 1970, knocked at the famous front door, was let in by the housekeeper (EB had died in 1968), who let me wander round the garden - exactly as in the photos), and showed me her study, where there was a bookshelf with all the books she'd witten. I'd never heard of The Story of my Life, and really wanted it, so offered to buy it! I think the price was something like 10/6, which the said housekeeper happily trousered, and off I went. It's not signed, obviously, and I think the page with publisher's dates and details etc at the front was torn out (normal practice, certainly in those days, for books that weren't to be sold on - my father was a publisher and that was the practice).

So it has followed me around for 40 years. Probably unprovable, but entirely true.

Regards, Gordon
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow if thats true then there was certainly no attempt at security in those days immediately after Enid's death. Who was in charge back then? Didn't anyone care that Enid Blyton's personal possessions were literally being flogged out of the front door? On the other hand what a great coup for Gordon.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:Wow if thats true then there was certainly no attempt at security in those days immediately after Enid's death. Who was in charge back then? Didn't anyone care that Enid Blyton's personal possessions were literally being flogged out of the front door? On the other hand what a great coup for Gordon.
I suppose when one thinks that all of Enid's personal book collection was later stored in a garage rotting away, I guess no one at the time was bothered? :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:On the other hand what a great coup for Gordon.
Gordon was certainly no moron! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

I question the validity of Gordon's claim. He says that he still has the book (and presumably wants to sell it), yet only thinks that "the page with publisher's dates and details etc at the front was torn out". (In fact, the publication date wasn't given in the book, which I believe was a common practice with first editions at that time.) He's right about the price though: it was 10/6. (Come to think of it, would a child in those days - if child he was - have been carrying that much money on him?)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The front end-paper is ripped out of my copy of 'the Story of My Life' too...Does that mean I also have a copy that once belonged to Enid?! :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Eljay wrote:I question the validity of Gordon's claim.
How unnecessary.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Viking Star wrote:How unnecessary.
If you have a problem with what I've said, I'd rather you said so unambiguously.