Famous Five DVDs - late 70s TV series

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Belly

Famous Five DVDs - late 70s TV series

Post by Belly »

Is it possible to buy these - have they been released?

Thanks.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

To the best of my knowledge this series is still only available on video - and you will probably have to buy these secondhand. Apart from Five on a Treasure Island, even the 90s series is not available on DVD in this country, though I believe it has been released in some European countries.

Best wishes
Tony
Nora

Am looking to buy...

Post by Nora »

I am looking to buy a set of dvd or videos based on Enid Blyton's The Adventure Series (four kids and Kiki the cockatoo). Was this a television series? Does anyone know what years they were put out?
Belly

Adventure series

Post by Belly »

I'd love to buy them on DVD/video also if anyone can point in the right direction?

Nora the Adventure series was shown on TV in the 1990s in the UK - at least I saw an episode of the Castle of Adventure once. Not sure if all the others were made and shown?
Firebringer

Adventure Series

Post by Firebringer »

Nora and Belly,
They did make all of the Adventure series and aired them in the summer of 1996 in Britain and a few other European countries. My godmother managed to tape a few and i tracked one down on ebay the other day, but i'm still looking for the Ship of Adventure, The Circus of Adventure and The River of Adventure. It is however avaliable to buy in German if thats any use to you.
If you have any news please let me know. Also for the Enid Blyton Secret Series with Jennyfer Jewell and Tineke Van der Wal.
Thanks
Anna
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

famous five dvds wanted

Post by Mac99 »

as an enid blyton fan going through my second childhood i did a bit of digging on the net for enid blyton dvds and believe that the 70's series was set around the 70's but the later one (90's) was actually set in the 50's the same era as the books. personally i agree with the comments elsewhere in the forums this may be better because it is set in the same era as the books. there is a video collection of this series available from http://www.amazon.co.uk (best prices), and just the first dvd from the same website. the dvd is priced around £7 and is £3 cheaper than anywhere else i could find.

must confess one dvd is not much good so did some more digging and found that the full set of famous five was released in spain on dvd and am pleased to confirm that the dvds are pal and in english audio but with spanish covers.

i have just ordered the full set (8 dvds - all 17 books) at @80 euros or around £67 inclusive of delivery and as of writing this post am awaiting the dvds which have been despatched. the spanish website is http://www.dvdgo.com and select english language option.

hope this helps

mac
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

update

Post by Mac99 »

received my dvds couple of days pleasntly surprised to find total cost was less than £60 inc delivery and credit card exchange rates which generally tend to be high. have sat down for last two evenings to watch and enjoyed enormously.

the smallest of grumbles is you have to switch audio but only to be expected as bought from spain.

mac
oldbookfan

Post by oldbookfan »

Hi Belly

I dont know if you managed to find/purchase your Famous Five DVDs set in the 70's so I thought this information might be able to help you.....

I recently purchased a set of DVDs (4) which had 16 episodes of the television series on them. These were only released here, in Australia, last December. They only cost $32 australian, which is chicken feed in english pounds, and not much in us dollars.

Anyway, the DVD cover and ALL the DVDs themselves had pics of the series set in the 50's. HOWEVER,all but one (the first) episode was set in the 70s and had completely different characters and they turned Timmy into a Border Collie!

So, if you are still after the 70s series and its the tv series you want, then this is the (cheap) dvd set for you. I purchased mine from dvdcrave on the net because they were the cheapest but a few sites had them. Just don be fooled by the characters you see on the dvd case and the dvd themselves.

Lee

Ps I returned my dvd set as I was mortified that they were not as they showed. I got a full refund (less the post to return them)

hope this helps