Forum Journal / Mag

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Forum Journal / Mag

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Exactly what I was thinking, Julie!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Well in that case we can cancel the blog then and transfer everything on here. How does that sound?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Forum Journal / Magazine

Post by Fiona1986 »

I have to say I'm dissapointed and a little saddened by the lack of support from some people here.

Yes, it would be nice if everyones forum posts were of the quality of the blog posts you've read so far. Perhaps though, you don't realise the time and effort that has gone into creating them. It took both Poppy and Darrell a couple of days to think up and write their blog pieces. Likewise, it took a bit of discussion and an hour or so of my time to get them corrected, edited and formatted for the blog, as well as titling them and adding the images.

It would be unreasonable to expect that sort of time and effort to go into anyone's forum posts.

Another point I'd like to make is that we've been told a few times that space on the forums is important, which is partly why fanfics are discouraged here. Stef and I both aim for around 1,000 words per blog post (though Poppy and Darrell write less than that understandably). Stef and I will probably put around 2,000 words a week into the blog plus contributions from other people and poems etc from Blyton. On the blog we're free to write as much as we like as often as we like without limitation.

We are also completely in charge of the topics posted and the comments made. Nothing on the blog will be derailed by nonsense, chit chat, or spam.

Posts are easy to find, without trawling through pages of chatter before you get to an interesting book review.

I don't think it's difficult for people to discuss our blog here, and I'd like to thank everyone who has made positive or constructive comments here. If it works for Julie and others fanfics at EB.net, I'd like to think it could work for us. Don't forget you can comment on the blog without logging in.

Don't get me wrong, I love the forums, I love chatting here and as you'll have seen I also like to post some fairly lengthy and thought out posts.

Give our blog a chance, please?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'll be honest and admit that in the first place I couldn't really understand why there was a need for a separate blog. However now I've read Poppy and Darrell's contributions I can see there is a big difference. I love the forums which are often full of short chatty posts, and it's nice to have sections such as wishing people happy birthday and discussing topics non Blyton related. On the other hand it's nice to have something a little bit more like the printed journal with more serious articles, especially for people interested in Enid Blyton, but who don't want to join in the general chit chat.

I know some people do put up longer posts on the forums, but I find these very difficult to read because of the layout of the page, and admit that sometimes I just skim through them. I also like the idea that the blog is edited, so that hopefully everything that appears on there will be of a good quality. I know there are a lot of good quality posts on the forums too, but sometimes they get lost, especially if a topic strays from it's original topic. (I know I'm guilty on that point).

I love the forums, but I hope that the blog works too. From what I've seen, there's room for both. Keep up the good work Fiona/Stef (and anyone else involved).
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote: I love the forums, but I hope that the blog works too. From what I've seen, there's room for both. Keep up the good work Fiona/Stef (and anyone else involved).
Yes, I tend to agree with you, Katharine. I can see no reason to wish the blog to close down, but can understand that many of us would like to see forum posts improve substantially! :)
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thank you Katharine and Nigel.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:
Katharine wrote: I love the forums, but I hope that the blog works too. From what I've seen, there's room for both. Keep up the good work Fiona/Stef (and anyone else involved).
Yes, I tend to agree with you, Katharine. I can see no reason to wish the blog to close down, but can understand that many of us would like to see forum posts improve substantially! :)
Of course we'd all like the posts on the forum to be a bit more substantial on occasion but as the posts are almost self regulating (not playing down Anita and Tony's work at all) but I mean freedom of speech is what makes it hard for the forums sometimes. The blog is moderated in content as to what is posted. And part of its aim is to try and entice more people to the society after all.

For example all our pictures are clearly labelled point in the direction of the site. We also want to do a journal review, from this last journal onwards and an overall journal praise.

Now if people want to discuss the more regular posts we can set up topics for Poppy and Darrell's posts so the link is posted on that section of the forum and then it can be discussed.

Naturally as Fiona has said we are looking to (at the moment) submit a couple of pieces a week to build a back log so people can read before we have a set couple of days to post.

I will also stress that we would like people to do us a few one off pieces or commit to a series for us so its not just us posting.

Of course my own pieces are seriously lacking and quite frankly not up to par. The time it took to to write and Fiona to edit my Malory Towers review last night was frankly embarrassing. Which is why anyone else's contributions are more than welcome.

As I said in the beginning, it is at least a few months trial to see if it will take off. I have been on Facebook with the links, and if the society could give us a shout out that would be amazing. The lovely Gail Renard has already retweeted our link on Twitter for me. I haven't plucked up the couage to ask Gary or Marcus yet, maybe when I've done my work on the Tv series. (Assuming I haven't given up on dispair by then!).

All I ask is some time for us to work out the formula for success and some more contributions. For example, Julie, your jigsaw and Blyton inspired paintings cab we have a piece on your inspiration?
I've already asked Katharine to see if she can come up with something for us! Maybe one of our overseas or European friends could work on a piece about Enid outside Britain.

If it helps I can post a log of suggestions. I also think I shall be seeting up a World of Blyton email address for submissions.

Basically, this blog needs you!

Please.
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think the idea of reviewing the journal in the blog is a really good one, and not because I happen to feature in it! I'm not sure of the statistics, but I suspect that a reasonable number of the regulars on the forum also subscribe to the journal, and with subscriptions falling it would be great to generate some more interest from a different area.

I'll do my best to think of something for you to add, but I'm not sure I can stick to just 1,000 words :wink:
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Would you be interested in that Katharine? :)

As for 1,000 word limit, if its just over its not a huge problem and for a journal review I'm sure we can bend the rules for that! ;)

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oh dear, looks like I've dropped myself right in it!! Give me a little while though. I've just finished reading Bimbo & Topsy for the first time ever, do you think a review of that would be of any interest?
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Don't worry Katharine I'm not about to set anything in stone! :wink: *puts away the hammer and chisel*

And yes of course it would! Sounds perfect!

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Bimbo and Topsy would be great. We're trying to keep a balance between writing about popular series to attract readers, while also including lesser-known works to keep it interesting and fresh.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a good idea. I'd never read the stories as a child, and only bought a copy this year as I am trying to complete my Dean hardbook collection. I am making it a rule to read every book I own, even if it's just once, and wasn't really expecting to enjoy the book, partly because it's about dogs and cats (I'm not a fan) and secondly as I felt it was aimed for the youngest end of Enid's fan base. Just goes to show the importance of keeping an open mind. I found it to be an entertaining, possibly slightly predictable read. I'd better not say any more or I won't have anything left for the blog. :wink:

I've also read a few of the chapters to my 6 year old, and I think I'll read her some more before I write anything as that way I can perhaps comment on it from 2 different points of view.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Goodluck Katharine for your article...
Make it as good as your journal piece and it will be popular! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Poppy, although I think it would be best if I made it considerably shorter. I believe most computers shut down after a certain amount of time, and I've a feeling if I produced anything as long as my journal article anyone reading would find themselves logged off before they got to the end. :wink:
Society Member