Vague Suggestion

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: Vague Suggestion

Post by Keith Robinson »

70s-child wrote:Finally, Keith, if you are taking suggestions on board, may I suggest that the 'Personal Photographs' thread be made available exclusively to people who are logged in? Maybe I am being paranoid, but I feel that keeping this thread public maybe a security risk to people who put up their photographs, especially if they are minors. But again, maybe my reaction is over-the-top.
Hmm, looks like the only way to protect the Personal Photos thread is to make that entire forum "registered users only." So that means the entire "Introduce Yourself" forum and all the threads within.

I have to ask Anita and Tony on that one!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'd love a mobile site as like Fatty I visit from my phone frequently and the home page takes forever to load.

I'd also like the ''mouse over to see what a thread is about" feature, as it will help me remember whether a thread is one I've decided I'm not interested/am interested in without loading it fully.

I'm not overly fussed about a liking option for the caption competition, as like Nigel I think the current way is fine. On saying that, it might be a nice addition to the forums as a whole.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Keith Robinson wrote:
70s-child wrote:Finally, Keith, if you are taking suggestions on board, may I suggest that the 'Personal Photographs' thread be made available exclusively to people who are logged in? Maybe I am being paranoid, but I feel that keeping this thread public maybe a security risk to people who put up their photographs, especially if they are minors.
Hmm, looks like the only way to protect the Personal Photos thread is to make that entire forum "registered users only." So that means the entire "Introduce Yourself" forum and all the threads within.

I have to ask Anita and Tony on that one!
Personally I see no harm in leaving things as they are because no one has reported any problems and people are pretty sensible about the kinds of photos they put up. But if anyone else thinks differently, please do say.

Until I read the posts in this thread I hadn't even realised that websites had to be adapted for mobile phone users. My mobile phone only does phone calls and texts - I'm a bit behind when it comes to technology and haven't yet got a toaster, microwave or dishwasher, let alone any i-devices! :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Until I read the posts in this thread I hadn't even realised that websites had to be adapted for mobile phone users. My mobile phone only does phone calls and texts - I'm a bit behind when it comes to technology and haven't yet got a toaster, microwave or dishwasher, let alone any i-devices! :lol:
They don't have to be, it just makes things easier. My phone can load most webpages but it takes a lot of time to load pages with a lot of graphics and backgrounds etc. Ones that are specially designed for phones usually just simplify everything to make it a lot faster to load and easier to navigate.

No toaster!? I was about to say 'how can you live without toast???' but I suppose you could be grilling your bread so I'll let you off.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the further explanation about adapting webpages for phones, Fiona. And yes, we do things like toast and teacakes on the grill.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Toast cooked on a grill. Sounds very modern to me. What's wrong with a toasting fork and an open fire? :wink:
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Katharine wrote: What's wrong with a toasting fork and an open fire? :wink:
Nothing...if you have an open fire! We used to have one in our last house, and often made toast like that. :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Personally I see no harm in leaving things as they are because no one has reported any problems and people are pretty sensible about the kinds of photos they put up.
Ok, then I won't say anymore! :D It's funny because people are always telling me I am not careful enough of my own safety. I should tell them that there are others who think I might be going overboard!
Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Mobile Web Version

Post by Moonraker »

I have just checked out your mobile web version of eb.net, Keith. It is great! Just the sort of design that at least the forums could benefit from. I do dip in to the forums on my phone, and as you say, have to zoom in to make reading easier. Pretty frustrating when all that comes up is Welcome, Harry! or I agree!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Keith Robinson wrote:Here's some more info about it, along with screenshots. The English is bad, but that probably won't be noticed on the actual boards:

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts
Looking again at Screenshot 1, I'm still not sure whether individual users can disable the "THANK" option for their posts if they wish.

Similarly, looking at Screenshot 4 I'm confused about whether individuals can disable the "ratings" (blue stars, red bars or whatever) for their posts. Or does it just mean that mods/admin can disable them for the whole board?

I was also wondering whether adding the icons and data might slow down the loading of the forums? The forums are sometimes quite slow to load already for me (especially the Games forum for some reason, perhaps because it contains so many posts).

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

I think you can remove the thanks if it embarrasses you. :D I also notice that there's an option to disable the number of thanks from appearing next to your name, which is good. Don't now about the ratings - the best way to find out is to do a trial run. Keith, could you let us know if there's a sandbox option where we can play with the new features to see how well they work?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My own personal opinion is that I like the way things are. Not too confusing and the whole site is easy to use. Any additions and extra buttons to press will only confuse me! :? If something isn't broken why fix it!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:My own personal opinion is that I like the way things are. Not too confusing and the whole site is easy to use. Any additions and extra buttons to press will only confuse me! :? If something isn't broken why fix it!! 8)
Teehee. If you'd had your way, Julie, the forum might have continued to look like this:

On second thoughts, that site layout doesn't look half bad, especially if you're accessing it from a mobile phone!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Fatty that looks even more confusing!! :?

The site is perfect for me being one of the older ones. I hate change! But I do understand we have to move with the times, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it! :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I agree that, like Julie, for me another non-techy, the board is just right and I wouldn't want many more embellishments, but if those who access it from their phones feel the need for some alteration, I would accept it. I suppose it isn't possible to have something whereby those who access on phones can have the upgrade, leaving the forum as it stands on a PC? I guess that's asking a bit much though! :?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member