Have I missed this,or is it still to come?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Have I missed this,or is it still to come?

Post by pete9012S »

Just had this pointed out to me,and was wondering if it is still to come,been and gone or been scrapped??..............

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 337226.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
Pete :?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Have I missed this,or is it still to come?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nick enquired about it a few months ago and was told that scripts were being written:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =22&t=2975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Nick enquired about it a few months ago and was told that scripts were being written:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =22&t=2975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that,it has good potential if its done well!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

i don't like what they have put what they think the characters are like, here is a quote although you probably might have seen it

Mix of characters gives winning formula

— George (Georgina). The tomboy. Has short hair, a fiery temper and likes to argue with Julian. Her greatest thrill in life is being mistaken for a boy

— Dick. The joker. Teases George (who is the same age as him) for wanting to be a boy, and Anne for being feeble, but can be brave. Brother to Julian and Anne and cousin to George

— Julian. The leader. As the eldest, he is responsible but also very bossy. He can be pompous and sexist

— Anne. The wimp. The baby of the group, very girly. She brings a domesticated touch, doing the washing up while the others are out solving mysteries

— Timmy. The dog. An uncommonly cunning pet, Timmy is an affectionate, loyal mongrel whose ability to protect and assist makes him more than just the team mascot
i think they have put Anne and Julian as the worst, (espesially Julian) it made me feel so annoyed! :evil: :evil: :x :x
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Let's wait and see. The way the characters are described it could as well turn out to be a Fawlty Towers type parody. Julian = Basil??? :D
It is very hard to do a tasteful and intelligent as well as entertaining crime series featuring the Five in their respective midlife crises. Add a touch of realism to it, and you are in real trouble.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Clopper
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Clopper »

I think it is a very bad idea. The Five belong to childhood only, and to a time period which is essential.

I imagine we all have our own ideas about what kind of adults the Five would become, just as we have our own ideas about how the Five looked,etc. Personally I don't want somebody elses interpretation, the main reason being that people like to tinker. They always think they can add a new dimension or understanding to a group of people who do not require such tinkering. The result may be wonderful but is far more likely to be disastrous.
Its never too late to have a happy childhood.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Clopper wrote:I think it is a very bad idea. The Five belong to childhood only, and to a time period which is essential.
I have to agree here Clopper. To me Enid's characters were created by her and only she had access to the fictional world which she created. Some of the fanfic floating around is very well written but I think one can always spot that a story was not written by Blyton herself. Personally I am usually happy to leave Blyton's books as they were/are.

I accept that updates may be necessary to keep future generations interested in reading them, and better that they continue to be read in slightly amended form than fall into the dustbin of history, but bringing these legendary child characters into adulthood usually fails unless its done as a spoof which, of course, isn't serious anyway.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

...but bringing these legendary child characters into adulthood usually fails unless its done as a spoof which, of course, isn't serious anyway.
You may well be right about that, btw, a nice and concise summary. Though I'd like to add that a good spoof has to be at least serious enough to make the plot faintly logical.
It can be as black as it might, the caracters can be nut cases all along, I don't mind a bit, but I don't like and would really get annoyed at the Five being used for a unlinked chain of events (stupid metaphor, I know) which could then be no more than comic relief. For reference, "Arsenic and old Lace" or "Ladykillers" are wonderful examples or series like "Fawlty Towers" do a good job, too. There is enough depth in the characters to make them round and to show the abnormal in the normal and vice versa.

About that film project in the offing, I'm prepared to give them a chance. If they haven't dumped the whole idea in the meantime.
You are right about the Five being Enid's, and of course you will spot even a good piece of fanfic and know it for what it is, but that's beside the point for me. Using the characters in a respectful way is another way of showing one's respect for their original creator.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"