"Well Done Noddy" with misbinding

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Spacemonkey

"Well Done Noddy" with misbinding

Post by Spacemonkey »

Hi there!
I was looking through my collection of old 'Noddy' books when I came across a copy of "Well Done Noddy" with the same printing as the 1952 first edition, but with a list of other Noddy titles on the inside back flap of the dustjacket and a number on the title page (361 00407 9).

As I flicked through the book, I realised that pages 33 to 48 are repeated!
Would this misbinding increase the value of it at all?
It's in pretty good condition, with dustjacket!
Anyone any ideas as to the value?

Very many thanks for any help!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: "Well Done Noddy" with misbinding

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome to the forums, Spacemonkey. :)

The only Noddy book in my collection is Well Done Done! and I found this recently in a charity shop. There are no repeated pages in my copy: they run consecutively from 1 to 62. Mine is missing its dustwrapper. Yours seems to be a rarity, but I've no idea if it has an increased value because of the misbinding. Perhaps someone else on this website will be able to provide an answer.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting to hear about the oddity, Spacemonkey, but faults in books tend to be off-putting rather than making the book seem more attractive. At least in your case none of the story is missing, which is the important thing of course.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've got a 1999 modern (minus Gollys) version of Noddy Gets Into Trouble, and that also has pages 33 - 48 duplicated, which means I'm missing the pages 17 - 32.

I've never thought it might be worth anything, it's just an inconvenience as obviously half the story is mssing!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If a chunk of the story is missing, that renders the book useless...or perhaps not. No book-lover would ever dream of cutting up a complete book, but rather than binning a badly damaged or very faulty book one could perhaps frame pictures from it or turn them into bookmarks, montages, shoebox scenes, decoupage, figures for toy theatres, etc. A dustwrapper can always be saved, of course, to be used on a copy of the same vintage which has lost its dustwrapper.

I have to stress that I would never break up a complete book, but I have picked up damaged Ladybird books from charity shops for sometimes as little as 1p (they have pages missing or torn, or lots of scribbling inside) in order to salvage beautiful pictures (particularly the fairy-tale illustrations by Eric Winter) and display them in some way.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a very good idea Anita. As you say as a story book it's useless, but I couldn't bear the thought of throwing it away. It doesn't have a dust jacket as it's too new, but the internal pictures are just the standard Noddy pictures although obviously without the gollies. So maybe they could be used elsewhere.
Society Member
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

After reading all of your interesting posts, I wanted to add that although pages 33 to 48 are repeated in my copy of "Well Done, Noddy", the story itself is in fact complete.
There just appears to be an additional section added when it was bound!
You can read to page 48, then skip the next 16 repeated pages to continue the story to the end!
Does anyone think this might make a difference to its value?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I owuld have thought it would make a difference to the value, Spacemonkey, it will now be worth less! As Anita says, imperfect books (unlike stamps) tend to put people off. Spitty though.
Society Member