Enid Blyton Day & General Meet Ups

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
kirrin_castle
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Adventure Series / Famous Five
Favourite character: George,Tim,Jack Trent,Barney,Snubby & Loony

Enid Blyton Day & General Meet Ups

Post by kirrin_castle »

Hi everyone. Being quite new here, I was wondering if the Enid Blyton Day still happens on an annual basis, or any general get togethers with members, as I would be interested in this. However, it looks like there hasn't been any conversations in this section since 2016, so I'm guessing it doesn't happen anymore?
Jonathan

Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do'.
Island Of Adventure
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Enid Blyton Day & General Meet Ups

Post by Daisy »

The last official Enid Blyton day was in 2012 but there had been a few meet-ups in various Blyton connected places, the last being in Exbury Gardens last year. There is a thread all about it under General Natter.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... &start=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
kirrin_castle
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Adventure Series / Famous Five
Favourite character: George,Tim,Jack Trent,Barney,Snubby & Loony

Post by kirrin_castle »

Thanks Daisy, I'll have a look over there
Jonathan

Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do'.
Island Of Adventure
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I was just thinking, if there had been an Enid Blyton Day this year in May like it was in the olden days, it would have been cancelled or postponed! But the EB Forum is immune to it.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Yes you could not imagine us all standing 6 feet apart and queuing to enter the venue and only 20 being allowed into the building at any one time!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

The group photo would have proved something of a challenge! :wink:
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

You would still have a wide angles shot but with only three or four in it all very well scattered! I wonder how the Famous Five would have dealt with it - perhaps they would have self isolated as a group on Kirrin Island.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I can think of worse places to be isolated. :) Although perhaps The Secret Island would be better.

Can't imagine George would mind too much, so long as she was with her beloved Timmy.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

George would love it - their lock down would go on and on! Timmy would keep anybody from getting too close. Uncle Quentin would be in the 'at risk' category but maybe he would find the cure and save the whole world.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Francis wrote:You would still have a wide angles shot but with only three or four in it all very well scattered! I wonder how the Famous Five would have dealt with it - perhaps they would have self isolated as a group on Kirrin Island.
Maybe there'll be another Famous Five for grown-ups book to see how they'd have dealt with it...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Wolfgang wrote: Maybe there'll be another Famous Five for grown-ups book to see how they'd have dealt with it...
Oh no, don't give them ideas :shock: :roll: :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

While not wishing to make fun of what is a very worrying time for many of us, I do think that tastefully done, a 'Five Survive Lock Down' book could be quite amusing.

Obviously they would have stripped the village shop of ginger beer and lemonade before self-isolating on Kirrin Island. At least the village wouldn't run short of loo rolls - bodily functions didn't exist in Enid Blyton's books.

To begin with the 4 children would need to socially distance themselves from each other. So one could sleep in the dungeons, one in the cave, and another in the half-ruined room. Not sure where the 4th would sleep - hopefully the weather would be warm and dry enough for them to sleep outside under the 14 days were up. After that, assuming none of them displayed symptoms, they could all start mixing again.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote:While not wishing to make fun of what is a very worrying time for many of us, I do think that tastefully done, a 'Five Survive Lock Down' book could be quite amusing.
The problem being that none of them so far have been even remotely funny, not even the ones that sound like they could have been. :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

I wonder if a trip to Seven Stories would be an idea?
I've never been and am unsure whether you are able to book to see certain exhibits (I assume a lot of it is in storage) or whether you can only see what's currently on display, or even what is on display - anyone else been and able to advise?
The website seems very geared up towards families with young children rather than adult enthusiasts but I don't like to judge a book by its cover...
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Seven Stories usually have 2-3 exhibits at any time.

You can view their archives but it's by appointment only and at a different site, I believe you have to tell them in advance which items you want to look at and it's quite strict about how many people can go/how much time you have.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member