Enid Blyton Day 2012

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2012

Post by Daisy »

There should be plenty of parking space. I haven't noticed a problem in previous years. Come and make yourself known to us won't you. Some of us will be putting our user names on as well as the name stickers we are provided with on arrival.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

KayleighLouise wrote:Not been on in a while but still excited about the day, add me to the forumite list! Bringing two of my sisters, Victoria and Tiffany.
Glad to hear you and your sisters are joining the throng, KayleighLouise! I've added you to the list. I hope I managed to find the most up-to-date list - I had to go back quite a few pages. If anyone has been missed off, sorry about that - please copy and paste the list and add yourself in.

Julie2owlsdene
Anita Bensoussane
Fiona1986
Pippa-Stef
Eddie Muir (with Chick)
Lucky Star
Daisy
Moonraker (with Moonrakeress)
Katharine (with Mum)
Lenoir
Shadow
Francis (with wife)
Faraway_Tree
AnnaL
7upromana01 (with grandma)
Viking Star
Viv Endecott (with Rosie Endecott and Fiona Edwards)
Wolfgang
KayleighLouise (with sisters Victoria and Tiffany)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've never seen the point in name stickers. If you know the person then you know their name (the exception of course are forum usernames*) and if you don't know them what do you need their name for? Do you necessarily want everyone to know your name? It's the same in shops. I hate to hear people say to the checkout girl, "Thanks Katie." They don't know her but use her name because it's on her badge. Maybe customers should be made to wear name badges as well!

*Even that isn't necessary - someone only has to call out for forummers to gather together for a group photo, then names/identities can be confirmed.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

My daughter had a Christmas job in a local high street store. She found it a little unsettling the first couple of times a customer thanked her by name, which they'd seen on her name badge.

I don't know how I feel about a name sticker, I've already seen photos of previous EB days, so have a rough idea of what some people look like. It might have been fun to have a username different to my own, and then see if anyone could work out who I was, but on the other hand I'm sure you'll have more important things to think about on the day!

It will be useful looking back on the day to think "I had a really interesting conversation with 'Doris'", rather than "the lady in the green jumper", especially if they aren't on the forums. Or do the forummers form themselves into an exclusive bunch and refuse to talk to anyone else. :wink:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:I've never seen the point in name stickers. If you know the person then you know their name (the exception of course are forum usernames*) and if you don't know them what do you need their name for? Do you necessarily want everyone to know your name?
I'm afraid I am going to disagree with this, despite the fact that it would save me a great deal of work if we didn't have them. It is usual for events such as this to have name badges, and it can be very helpful for people coming for the first time - about a third of the total. I recently went to the Famous Five 70th Anniversary launch and if people hadn't been wearing name badges I would never have found the people I wanted to speak to as I had no idea what any of them looked like.

You have to remember that it is an event for the Society and not simply one for those who use the forums and there will be a number of people there who would very much like to put a face to a name that they know from the Journal. It might also be worth adding that this is our 18th Day, but it is the first time that anyone has suggested that the name stickers are pointless. :roll:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The first time I went to an Enid Blyton Day in 2002, I was on my own and had no idea what anyone looked like (it was before the days of these forums). I found it very helpful that people were wearing name stickers and recognised several names from the Journal or Green Hedges Magazine, among them Doreen James, David Cook, Selwyn Goodacre and Sue Bell - not to mention Barbara Stoney and Tony himself! The first person I spoke to was Doreen, as I'd enjoyed doing her puzzles in the Journal. I also felt confident about approaching Selwyn Goodacre and saying hello, as I knew from his articles that he and I shared an interest in Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books. It must have been around lunchtime that I finally met Tony, who was dashing about all over the place, but it was great to be able to put a face to a name I knew so well.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I can see both points of view here but am inclined to think that if enough people find them useful then lets have them. Its definitely an advantage for the newcomers and can save some enbarrasment if you think you know who someone is but are not sure.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Presumably the labels aren't compulsory so if anyone really felt uncomfortable about everyone knowing who they are they needn't wear it?

The other advantage of wearing them is to spot someone we particularly want to avoid. :wink:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
You have to remember that it is an event for the Society and not simply one for those who use the forums ...but it is the first time that anyone has suggested that the name stickers are pointless. :roll:
I think I knew that! :roll: You know me, always first with a spot of controversy! :D
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Well, I won;t put on my label Abigail/7upromana01

It would just look strange!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

If you put Abigail we will all know you are 7upromana01 there won't be too many
young ladies with grandma attached!
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Good Point!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Your real name will already be printed on the label. When you go into Loddon Hall you show your ticket and get your name label (there are sheets of labels on a table, with names listed alphabetically by surname).

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I was talking to my mother about the picnic situation this weekend and she suggested one or two places near Dinton that might allow us some cover from rain but both may be funny about own food, unless people buy a thing or two from the establishment.

I just thought I'd mention it, having thought about it, but unless you want, I'll keep the suggestions until Saturday when we can have more of an idea about the weather?

Looking forward to Saturday now. Oh and Wednesday very much so! :wink:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

We've got a problem since John can no longer work on Saturday, which means that Fiona may be at Corfe shop instead. Will try and resolve situation, but it's looking complicated at the moment.

Remembering back to a previous picnic when we had a cake EACH left over, I thought I'd say what we are bringing. There is a supermarket close to the hall, and previously the caterers have been amenable to putting picnic stuff into their fridge :D

Viv and Rosie - home made sausage rolls and a big bag of healthy salad (bet there'll be some left... :lol: )
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017