Enid Blyton Day 2012

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2012

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We used to drink sasperella too. Not sure of the spelling, but it was great, rather like dandelion and burdock! You can't beat the old drinks. I remember some of them being in round earthenware containers too. Sorry to go off topic, but it's very Blyton like! :P

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:Just as long as nobody tries to 'pay' Stef in ginger-beer for use of her car ;)
There are certain exceptions I'll accept it from! :wink:
Francis wrote:Sorry Stef, I grew up in the 1950s when my mother and many others made
their own ginger beer out of ginger plants. I shouldn't expect everyone
to share my background or tastes. I was not trying to preach!
I know, Francis. I apologise for sounding sharp. Apparently I can't pull of Nigel's brand of sarcasm. Still trying to learn from the master! :lol:

Ooo Dandelion and Burdock! I LOVE that stuff.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I know, Francis. I apologise for sounding sharp. Apparently I can't pull of Nigel's brand of sarcasm. Still trying to learn from the master!
No apologies needed - you were right anyway. I am sure your sarcasm is better than my perception.
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I like ginger beer so don't worry Francis. You're not alone
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Francis

Post by Francis »

Thanks Abi - I expect your grandmother might drink it as well.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this is the longest EB day thread we've had before the Day itself? Usually they're this long AFTER we've all been to the day and given our accounts!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also remember making my own ginger beer from ginger beer plants. Great stuff! :D

Now my favourite drink is Old Jamaica ginger beer and I've always loved dandelion and burdock. The latter as well as ginger beer were favourite childhood drinks when I was growing up in Stourport-on-Severn in Worcestershire in the late forties/early fifties. :D

Only ten days to go! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this is the longest EB day thread we've had before the Day itself? Usually they're this long AFTER we've all been to the day and given our accounts!
I am sure that you are right, Stef, and for this reason the thread doesn't really serve its purpose at all. I always intended it to be a helpful guide to those still trying to make up their minds about whether to buy tickets for the Day. However few are going to be bothered to trawl through nearly 600 posts and 40 pages looking for something that will tell them a bit more about the Day.

This could be one of the reasons why we have sold very few tickets over the last few weeks. Two months ago I was worried that we were going to sell out as we did in 2010, when we sold 163 tickets and I also had to turn a number of people away. With ten days to go, this year we have sold 134 tickets. This is still a very healthy number and with speakers, dealers etc. there will be over 150 people there, but we had about 180 people there in 2010.
Francis

Post by Francis »

Perhaps it would help recruit more attendees to know that early indications are
that the 12th could be rather warm and sunny. I have been checking the weather nuts on
theweatheroutlook site. (Please don't blame me when it all goes wrong!). I will give you an update
on their forecasts nearer the time.

Perhaps the large number of posts under this heading show the enthusiasm of those who
have already booked.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have been looking back through some of the posts that were made earlier in this thread and some of the most enthusiastic posts came from people who haven't even logged in for nearly six months!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I'm booking an off peak ticket for the EB Day so I will be able to return on virtually any train.
I'll be off on my travels soon, so not sure if I'll be posting as excessively as I usually do*.
It will depend on if and when I can get to Internet Cafes I expect.

(* how's my sarcasm rating doing, Pippa-Stef? :) )
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I can't make it to this years Blyton day, which is a shame. I was really looking forward to the event, but I'am having to work weekends for the next few months, which isn't my idea of fun!! However, for those who will be attending, I hope you all have a cracking day, with plenty of fun thrown in!! :D :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote: I know, Francis. I apologise for sounding sharp. Apparently I can't pull of Nigel's brand of sarcasm. Still trying to learn from the master! :lol:
And what a great student you are, Stef! Maybe when you know a person personally (can you say that?!) you can get away with a lot more than if you hadn't met. Bangla-girl and I have hurled insults at each other in the past, but have (and never will) taken offence. :twisted:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Not long to wait now folks, to the great day! How quickly it has come around, even when Tony first posted the date last year. Time is flashing by quicker by the minute at the moment.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
KayleighLouise
Favourite book/series: Noddy

Post by KayleighLouise »

Not been on in a while but still excited about the day, add me to the forumite list! Bringing two of my sisters, Victoria and Tiffany. I will be driving, what's the parking like? Or could get the other half to drop us off... Can't stay for the picnic though as babysitting at 630pm :(