Journal 79

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Journal 79

Post by Boatbuilder »

They are the middle pages 40 & 41 of the Journal as indicated in the top middle of each page, Pete. The pages 16 & 17 are obviously the pages of the publication from which the images are taken and are in much larger print than the Journal page numbers and of course YOU have changed the print headings and text on the pages. :roll:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Very good, Pete! Your humour knows no bounds! I rather suspect the query on the page numbers is just an excuse to show the edited version!

I have spent the afternoon reading the Journal from cover to cover. Much of what I would say has been said, so I will just make a few points. I found this issue one of the best so far, and didn't skip an article.

Yes, Tony, I too share your disillusionment and sadness at the amount of Blyton's that seem to be destined to the realms of history. I am only so glad that I have so many of Enid's original volumes of all the major series, stand-alone books and short stories.

I read each article in order and, starting (of course) with Norman Wright's look back to past EBS Days, wallowed in nostalgia. Sadly, I missed the early ones - I think possibly 2006 was my first, as I didn't join the Society until December 2005. They were memorable and enjoyable events, and many new friends were made through attending these Days.

Tim's Five Fall Into Adventure was an interesting read, not one of my favourite titles, but Tim's comparisons with other books in the series were most interesting. I'm not one to try to search out Enid's possible location-inspirations, but really will search out those woods near to Dorchester!

Anita's Fruits of Autumn was a great read - and after I finish posting this, I will be upstairs, through the secret passage into my hidden library searching out some titles. I know I have The House in the Fog (and have read it), but I must see if I have The Prisoner in the Cave and An Adventurous Evening. They sound most intriguing. (Edit: I only have The House in the Fog)

In A Rhyme of Christmas Time, I was puzzled by the gist of a yellow and green pen-wiper. I would suppose it is a cloth used to wipe surplus ink off a pen nib. I have paused and just Googled pen-wiper and found this item. Always something new to learn through the Journal!

John's Return to Rilloby Fair was an enjoyable romp through the plot of the book. And yes, John; I will have to read it again!

*I am pretty sure I have the Treasury to which John Henstock refers. Another on my list to look for in a minute! I imagine the illustration of Just a Spot of Bother comes from a French edition, seeing the Á VENDRE sign in the garden!

Another fabulous edition (isn't every one?) and huge thanks to Tony for all the hard work in compiling and getting it to our doormats.

*I do have it!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Here is the English version illustration with a "For Sale" board by the gate! However, in the script, it clearly says that the house had a "To Be Sold" board by the gate. Another case of an illustrator not reading the story?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 16:36 Image

Pete, you've excelled yourself! :lol: :lol: :lol: What an incredible imagination you have - not to mention enviable editing skills! I only hope I was careful when wielding those scissors. I wouldn't like to think of any forumites having to suffer the consequences of unwanted snips! :shock:

Nigel, 'An Adventurous Evening' is available to read in the Cave of Books if you're interested:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... +of+Comics

Moonraker wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 17:55I am pretty sure I have the Treasury to which John Henstock refers. Another on my list to look for in a minute! I imagine the illustration of Just a Spot of Bother comes from a French edition, seeing the Á VENDRE sign in the garden!
Gosh, well spotted! I hadn't noticed that. Fatty would recruit you as a Find-Outer for sure! :D Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury is a difficult book to scan, being very thick and heavy, so I remember Tony saying he sometimes had to find the same illustration elsewhere. My Favourite Enid Blyton Story Book has that 'Just a Spot of Bother!' illustration with 'A VENDRE' on the sign (or the 1970 Hamlyn edition does - I'm not sure about the 1964 Golden Pleasure Books edition as I don't have it), so I expect Tony took it from there.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Time I finished my appraisal of Journal 79. Pete, that centre-spread you created was very clever and also indicative of the gratitude we all hold for Tony and Anita.
I was pleased to read that early story 'The Adventures of Bob Bunny'. No original reader could have suspected that its author would become the highest-profile children's writer in the twentieth century. The new German translation for the new edition of 'The Island of Adventure', using the original illustrations, makes me feel quite envious. I'd be lining up to buy a facsimile of the English first edition. Or, perhaps, a new quality edition by the Folio Society. Is there a contemporary illustrator who would do it justice? I liked the context that Tim Venning puts Five Fall into Adventure into, both sociologically and topographically. Anita has excelled herself (is that possible?) in selecting the nine autumnal stories, not only conveying the personal affection she has for them but in the process displaying Blyton's superb short story telling genius. John Pickup's 'Return to Rilloby Fair' reminded me how good the mystery series is, and that I must return there myself. I was pleased that John Henstock featured 'Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury', a particularly satisfying and knowledgeable compilation and one of the few books I have bought since my retirement, while John Lester's 'Christmas' makes a perfect end to an engrossing, well-illustrated issue of this best of Journals.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 20:49 Nigel, 'An Adventurous Evening' is available to read in the Cave of Books if you're interested:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... +of+Comics
Thanks, Anita. I will read it now! I had forgotten that you posted this url to the Cave.
Anita also wrote: Gosh, well spotted! I hadn't noticed that. Fatty would recruit you as a Find-Outer for sure! :D Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury is a difficult book to scan, being very thick and heavy, so I remember Tony saying he sometimes had to find the same illustration elsewhere. My Favourite Enid Blyton Story Book has that 'Just a Spot of Bother!' illustration with 'A VENDRE' on the sign (or the 1970 Hamlyn edition does - I'm not sure about the 1964 Golden Pleasure Books edition as I don't have it), so I expect Tony took it from there.
I'll have a word with Fatty and get you signed up as well! You've solved the mystery!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's lovely Pete. :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 17:29I'll have a word with Fatty and get you signed up as well!
Goodo!

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Journal 79 is yet another gem.
I heartily concur with Tony's thoughts in his editorial. Enid Blyton's Treasury is a wonderful book, worth buying for the beautiful and evocative wrapper alone. I suppose it will never see the light of day again, joining my beloved Barney mysteries and the majority of the Secret series in publishing oblivion.

Becoming a member of the society in 2013, it was too late to make the pilgrimage to Loddon Hall but reading Norman Wright's memories of the occasion and how it developed was fascinating. How I wish I'd discovered the society ten years earlier.

David Chambers is marvelous at researching virtually unknown items that appear in unlikely periodicals. I can't praise him enough for providing us with details and excerpts we would otherwise never have been aware of.

I enjoyed reading The Adventures of Bob Bunny. Without the Journal, how else could we share in the rabbit's escapades of 100 years ago? The colour plates on the rear cover are delightful.

Winfried Secker provides some interesting information about German editions of the Adventure series and Tim Venning, as always, gives us a comprehensive view about the characters, the plot and potential locations for Five Fall Into Adventure.

The picture strip frames in the centre pages by Hilda McGavin will, thanks to my friend Pete, always transpose into Tony and Anita in bed. Nuff said there, I think!

Anita's Fruits of Autumn includes some memorable short stories, many of which I haven't read and don't own. I've said before, Anita has this knack of making you want to read the stories and she hasn't failed this time. The House in the Fog and The Prisoner in the Cave I must find, they sound thrilling.

I have the Treasury from 1947 but not the one John Henstock writes about so eloquently. The extracts from the main series I've obviously read but the complete short stories within it sound interesting.

Finally, John Lester continues his series about Sunny Stories through the seasons. This publication must have been eagerly anticipated by thousands of children throughout the many years it was published. He brings us a wonderful Christmas themed article and it's nice he includes a letter from Enid.

The letter from Santa would baffle many young children today who live in homes without a chimney. I had to explain to my granddaughter what a sweep did!

Many thanks to all the contributors and especially to Tony for producing such a wonderful Journal and his tireless work in ensuring we receive it. Let us not forget that without him, this society, the journal and the marvelous Cave of Books would cease. Yet again, well done, Sir.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm now up to page 66.
I have had a busy week, so I'm way behind with my reading of the Journal.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Fruits of Autumn by Anita Bensoussane (42)
Such a timely article for this time of year, and so many stories to search out and locate in their original books, which I love doing.

Return to Rilloby Fair by John Pickup (54 )

An absolutely smashing article John. Hard to imagine this book was published seventy two years ago - wow!
I do hope we can look forward to more Barney articles from you John.

Reading your article has instantly made me want to re-read the Barney books immediately!

How privileged are we Journal readers to have A Rhyme of Christmas Time 1925 in this Journal too.

A quick check showed that this super rare poem by 'Audry Saint Lo' and illustrated by Enid's friend, Phyllis Chase is not even in the Cave yet -
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=956

Page 66 here I come!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

timv wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 09:24
If anyone is interested I can put up some of my photos of the Portland location, Rufus Castle at Church Ope Cove, for my Fall Into Adventure article on the forum; I was going to add them to the article but when I came to try to email them to Tony my new computer played up and kept deleting them instead as 'too big to send' and refused to make them smaller so I had to give up!
Tim have you used WeTransfer?
It's a really easy way of sending larger files to someone via email address.
You can send up to a couple of GB's and you don't have to register with WeTransfer to send files if you don't want to:

WeTransfer:

https://wetransfer.com

Regards

Pete

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lucky Star wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 15:37 .. I can't recall having read The Very Fat Conker or The House in the Fog. I must look out for them.
Here's 'The House In The Fog' John.

Regards

Pete

The House In The Fog:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4363&p=421559#p421559

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

John Pickup wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 14:33The letter from Santa would baffle many young children today who live in homes without a chimney. I had to explain to my granddaughter what a sweep did!
Your comment shows why it's so important to ensure that older stories/articles remain available, John. They embody our history and help us understand changes which have affected family life, employment, architecture and all kinds of things. It's good to know that your granddaughter is being brought up with that rich understanding and awareness.

John Pickup wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 14:33The picture strip frames in the centre pages by Hilda McGavin will, thanks to my friend Pete, always transpose into Tony and Anita in bed. Nuff said there, I think!
At least it's two different beds! :lol:

pete9012S wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 15:53
The House In The Fog:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4363&p=421559#p421559
My version of the 'The House in the Fog' doesn't have those illustrations, Pete, so it's fun to see them. However, this is one case where I think I prefer pictures without added colour, as dim murkiness suits the tone of the tale!

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Some people are never satisfied!!! :D :wink:

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sorry! :wink:

Society Member