Journal 79

What did you think of the latest Journal?
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Journal 79

Post by pete9012S »

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/jou ... isissue=79

I'm sure like me, you are eager to get your hands on our upcoming Journal!

Which articles do you you like the look of?
I've spotted a fair few already that I know I will instantly enjoy.

To join in all the fun, why not subscribe to the Journal for the very modest subscription fee required.
Subscribe here:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/subscribe.php
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Journal 79

Post by pete9012S »

Here's that lovely cover in greater detail, which can be found of course in the cave:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... s+22-42%29
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

That is good news, although I expect it won't arrive until the end of the month. On a different topic, will I receive a reminder about when my subscription is due for renewal? I suspect that it may be due after this journal (or if not definitely after the spring issue). Would it make things too confusing if I paid my 'sub in advance?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to all the articles but particularly to Norman Wright's look back at the Enid Blyton Day, David Chambers' research on Woman's Day and John Pickup's analysis of The Rilloby Fair Mystery.

Renewal reminders are sent out with Journals where necessary, Boodi, but I expect Tony doesn't mind receiving resubscriptions early.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The cover looks very attractive. I look forward to receiving my copy to brighten the rather gloomy autumn weather. There are several items I am looking forward to reading and some where the titles gives little clue as to what they are about... but I do enjoy a good mystery so I am anticipating a treat!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I'm mainly interested in reading, and reading about, the half dozen or so main Mystery / Adventure series of Enid's. So the Fall Five Into Adventure, Rilloby Fair and 'Kiki' articles sound the best for me. And titles like Treasure Trove and Adventure Treasury sound promising.
I'm less interested in the younger / fantasy books. Although I still found the articles about them quite interesting in the last journal, even though I didn't really know the books they were referring to.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My appetite is whetted! Thanks for posting this, Pete. It also reminds us that there is a wonderful website out there for us to spend many hours!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Looks great as always. I too will be interested in Norman Wright's article and the return of Kiki to Germany sounds intriguing also.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I guess the return of Kiki to Germany is about the republishing of the Adventure series in German.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I dread to imagine what Kiki says in German!!! With regard to parrots, I recently saw an advert for a furniture store in which a man is walking along with a parrot on his shoulder and the parrot keeps making disparaging comments about everything it sees (using very bad language!). When he arrives in his apartment and opens the door the parrot immediately starts to say the S word (I don't want to be censored but I am sure most people will understand!!) but when it sees the apartment it changes from "sxxxxxxxx" to "Schoern" (beautiful), which I though was rather amusing!!!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Journal 79 has landed. What a beauty it looks. I shall get stuck in over the next few days. Resubscription done as well. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Wow, that was quick and what good news!!! I will probably receive my copy sometime towards the end of the coming week!!!!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Just received mine... It looks like another feast of good things. Many thanks to Tony for all his hard work in putting it together and hunting up the delightful illustrations which enhance the articles so beautifully.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

My copy has arrived. Lots of very interesting articles in it as always and a 'Story from the Roaring 20s' too.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Mine arrived today, too. I've dipped in and read what interested me most to begin with.

Norman Wright's article on Enid Blyton days is one of the few things in the world that actually make me wish I was older than I am, so that I could have attended more days.

I was intrigued by the German republication of the Adventure series - but can someone clue me in as to what the "z-word" that they omitted is?

I also found the Australian magazine piece very interesting as I didn't realise that so many books had been serialised over there - the splitting of some of the books into twice as many pieces as there are chapters was baffling.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member