Journal 76

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal 76

Post by Moonraker »

Judith Crabb wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 03:42 It is a story about domestic violence resolved when Julie accepts her bullying brother's promises that he is a reformed character, not a comfortable conclusion in the light of what we now know about domestic violence.
I had never thought - even when reading it the other day - that it was "domestic violence". I always read Blyton with a child's mind, as I am taken back to my early years. Bullying then was a necessary evil - from teachers as well as peers. I'm certainly not condoning it nor am I disagreeing with you, Judith - it just never occurred to me.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Gosh, that never occurred to me, either. I just thought the brother would be good from now on.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I think Enid wrote many short stories featuring a bullying child - pinching bottoms and so on. I suppose Dame Slap is an instigator of domestic violence, too. And don't let us mention a certain Peterswood police constable!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, we must remember that these innocent books were written in a time gone by now. And children read them with the innocence they were written in. It's not much good really comparing them to these days, as era's change, which is why most of the older books have been updated.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes, Julie2owlsdene, you're quite right, neither Enid Blyton nor her readers would have thought in terms of domestic violence in 1955 when the story was written. According to google the first use of the term in a modern context was in 1973. In 1955 it was no crime, just a family matter. I did not subscribe to the Enid Blyton Magazine until 1956, so I did not read the story as a child. If I had I would have taken it on face value and simply been pleased with the happy ending - big brother is a nice boy after all. Recently I read a letter published in a local paper about childhood reading. The correspondent attributed her survival as a child to her reading of Enid Blyton, which enabled her to escape her post-war dysfunctional family, and which kept hope alive because the endings were always happy. (Her favourite title was 'The Land of Far Beyond'.) No doubt had children with bullying older siblings read 'When Julie Ran Away', they too would have received similar comfort, which essentially is the purpose of the story (along with lessons in friendship and forgiveness), whatever reservations a 73 year old reader might have about it 65 years later.
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Ah my journal 76 arrived today, thanks Tony, so tonight I'll have a good read. And I have paid my subscription for next year.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am pleased to hear that Sue, as I was getting a bit worried as the post has been very unpredictable this year and thanks also for your very quick sub renewal. That has taken twice the usual time, but at least it wasn't as bad as some of the waits that Lenoir in South Africa had to manage often three months and once he got a Journal a week before getting the previous one! Ironically with post as it is at present he got Journal 76 in two weeks.

I hope you enjoy the Journal.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I enjoyed reading the journal. It’s good to have something specific to read in the short break I have at the end of a busy year.
I found the articles interesting and the stories entertaining.
It was nice to read some Brer Rabbit again.

The new book about Enid sounds interesting and is not just a reworking of other books but deals with areas that haven’t been covered much.

I don’t think I’ve read any of the short stories mentioned in the Winter Warmers article so it was good to read about them.

The article on Enid Blyton Influencer made some interesting points.

The short stories by Enid Blyton are also a treat as I wouldn’t have read them anywhere else.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Lenoir wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 11:07
The short stories by Enid Blyton are also a treat as I wouldn’t have read them anywhere else.
Yes this has long been one of my favourite things about the Journal. These stories from long ago would be lost completely where it not for Tony's work in republishing them. I know the circulation is small but every time someone reads these stories they stay alive a little bit longer. And many of them are interesting in that they show Enid's development as a writer.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

The latest index up to Journal 76 is available for download.

Index
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's brilliant, Lenoir! :D I've just saved it to my computer. Thanks so much for compiling the index and keeping it updated. I find it invaluable whenever I'm looking for particular contributions.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lenoir wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 08:12 The latest index up to Journal 76 is available for download.

Index
That’s very useful. Thank you, Lenoir. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Really appreciated Lenoir - thank you very much indeed.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Lenoir - saved to my computer!
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Thank you very much, Lenoir.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.