Journal 75

What did you think of the latest Journal?
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Journal 75

Post by John Pickup »

I've completed the journal now, yet another interesting and enlightening issue.
Although I was never a fan of the FF TV series, I must complement Tim Venning for his series of articles which are clearly a labour of love and meticulously researched. The photos are a great bonus.
John Henstock's piece on the Naughtiest Girl is a lively read. I've got the books, I just haven't read them yet.
Judith Crabb's article about the similarities between The Secret Island and L. T. Meades Four On An Island is quite astonishing. I'm inclined to agree with her thoughts and, if my ailing memory is correct, my maternal grandmother had a couple of Meades books. I would very much like to read Four On An Island myself.
Angela Canning writes an able description of the 12th FF book and I enjoyed William Ferguson's account of his tour around Dorset with Viv.
As always, the Journal throws up ephemera and little-known relics that make it so unique and important for all Blyton fans. The Ten Year Old Mystery is one such delight with the unpublished Packman In Sicily. The advert for Enid's Nature Readers is something else I would never have seen but for Tony reproducing it here.
It was interesting to read of Pat Swadling's talks about Enid to the general public and hearing of, in some cases, their battered, much-loved, old editions.
Finally, I already have Brian Carter's book but I intend to buy Andrew Maunder's book on publication, as it appears to show some insight into how Enid managed her business affairs.
Many thanks to every contributor and to Tony for putting it all together. I suppose I should thank Noddy too, but only grudgingly.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks very much for the comments on my Fifth Formers of St. Clare's article - and thanks to Tony for using Jenny Chapple illustrations (familiar to me from childhood) as well as the originals by W. Lindsay Cable.

John Pickup wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 11:43Never having read Fifth Formers of St Clares, I quickly became acquainted with the characters, thanks to Anita's descriptions...The book appears to focus on the petty jealousies, the rivalries and pressures that many of the girls are subjected to.
After reading the article I was surprised that Anita found the book a bit of a let down...
I was surprised too! I still think it's a skilfully-composed book with some riveting plotlines but the school environment now strikes me as harsh and uninviting, whereas I'd have loved to go there as a child (or so I imagined). Of course, it's possible that St. Clare's is portrayed in a more positive light in the other five titles which I haven't read for a couple of decades.

Lucky Star wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 14:21An excellent analysis as always from Anita who freely admitted she was a little disappointed with the book on this re-read.  She mentions several reasons for this but to me, although the book sounds like it has many flaws in it's characters it also seems to run the whole gamut of child emotions.  Anita decries some of the cruel humour and snobbishness of some pupils but such things exist in real life in every school.  Some Blyton school stories have been accused of being all "jolly hockey sticks" type affairs. Fifth Formers of St Clare's sounds like it delves much deeper.  Another possible riposte to those who accuse Blyton of oversimplifying perhaps?  I'll hopefully wade into the series shortly so will find out for myself.  A most enjoyable read anyway.
I agree that Fifth Formers of St. Clare's has a satisfying psychological depth to it, John (Lucky Star), though I'd say the same thing applies to many of Enid Blyton's other school stories. Pretensions are stripped away, faults are laid bare, frailties are exposed and conflicts abound. Few (if any) of the school books could be dismissed as "jolly hockey sticks" affairs. John Henstock brings out the complexity of the Naughtiest Girl series in his comprehensive and reflective article, though I must say that I find the Omnibus! story, written much later than the full-length novels, weak and lacking in verve.   

timv wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 08:32Anita's piece on Fifth  Form at St Clare's is brilliant and agrees with my own vague disquiet about some of the 'messages' that Enid was consciously or unconsciously  putting out  in this series - unlike Malory Towers where more unusual girls are generally helped to fit in or at least only modestly teased. In St Clare's more people are left to 'sink or swim' and usually do the former, or at best muddle along uneasily  like Alma and Pauline; notably the MT fantasist Daphne  is able to fit into her form after her humiliating exposure as a fraud and a (probably compulsive) thief, but Pauline is marginalised permanently after Angela (a truly horrible but realistic type) exposes her...As Anita reminds us, sorting  out the many  problems at St C's in the final book is due to luck, in that Mamzelle's amusing misadventures on the night of the midnight feast reveal what is going on - a failure of pastoral care, if  in reality very likely in a big and busy school....  

The CS ethos is helping others and being  responsible and 'decent';  Miss Grayling presents a similar moral ethos for MT in her inspiring words to new girls, but at St Clare's there's much less community spirit...
Yes, the lack of community spirit gives the book a depressing, disquieting air. It feels claustrophobic, with numerous scenes taking place indoors in dimly-lit corridors where shadows flit and characters lurk - most fitting for a book in which many of the girls feel unable to open up to others and therefore lead lives which are dark, brooding, lonely and anxious. 

Lucky Star wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 14:21I've just read above that this was Tim Venning's last entry to his FF 78 Tv locations series.  What a shame.  This has been a most enjoyable run of articles and part ten finished on a good high note examining in particular the Five Go Down to the Sea episode, one of my own favourites.
I've found Tim's articles fascinating as well. An extremely thorough account of one of my favourite childhood TV series. I've particularly enjoyed learning what other things various actors have appeared in. I'm familiar with Boy Dominic so I was interested to see references to that this time.

timv wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 08:32The idea of Enid picking up and remembering plots which she had read as a girl  is one I've considered likely too; I found close similarities between  Enid's  fire rescue drama in the second St Clare's book and Angela Brazil's  plotline of 'controversial girl in trouble at school redeems herself by proving to be a heroine in a fire when a friend is  trapped in the sanatorium by a fire on the stairs'  in 'A Fourth Form Friendship', pub 1911.

I too noticed a few possible influences on Enid Blyton when I read Angela Brazil's A Fourth Form Friendship:

viewtopic.php?p=187915#p187915

Julie Heginbotham's account of The Children of Kidillin has whetted my appetite and made me want to revisit the book. I haven't read it for years but it's one of the best Mary Pollock titles - though my favourite is Smuggler Ben.

I've only read a few Mary Mouse stories but John Lester makes them sound intriguing, especially the rare inclusion of a courtship and wedding.

'From My Window - a Summer Garden' is a lovely overview of the garden at Elfin Cottage. I've always known the "dear little orange-yellow poppies" as "California poppies". Fancy Thomas the tortoise and Maggie Pie feasting on/destroying the delphiniums and cornflowers. They're two of my favourite flowers - to look at, not to eat! I agree about roses "crowning" the summer garden. Enid paints a glorious picture in words.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

John Pickup wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 16:38I already have Brian Carter's book but I intend to buy Andrew Maunder's book on publication, as it appears to show some insight into how Enid managed her business affairs.
That sounds promising to me too, John.

I recall talking to Pat Swadling at an Enid Blyton Day years ago so it's good to see his article. I hadn't realised he'd given so many talks on Enid Blyton.

As others have said, the revelation about Enid's public reading of 'The Packman in Sicily' at the Bible Society birthday bash is fascinating, clearing up a long-standing mystery. Wow, the cake from Australia must have been enormous if it fed over a thousand boys and girls! I wish the technology of the day could have given us a better picture of it!

'Ding Dong's Magic Spade' is charming and the pages from The Children's ABC are very colourful. That boat made from a barrel/tub looks fun!

Eileen Soper's illustration for 'Mike's Monkey' is most endearing and the advert for Enid Blyton's Nature Readers is interesting. I hadn't seen that photo of Enid before. The Journal really does throw up some treasures! Thanks as always to Tony for putting this wonderful publication together every four months, sending it out, dealing with subscriptions, etc. For those of us who have been collecting and reading it over a long period of time, it's a terrific resource!

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Happy days! Waiting for me in my letter box, along with a gas bill and a census form, was Journal 75. I confess that I turned straight to 'Islands on my Mind' and was delighted with the lavish but completely pertinent illustrations Tony chose to accompany the piece. A real bonus was the cover of 'Four on an Island'. Later reprints may have a cover uniform with the series the title was reprinted in, perhaps a picture nothing to do with the story. This was the cover reminding me of the blocked cover of 'The Island of Adventure' also one of the choice illustrations.
Enough about me! The editorial straight from Toyland was a cheerful opener.
I had prepared myself for Anita's 'Fifth Formers of St. Clares' by reading it a week ago. I must have read the St. Clare books as a child but never owned any and have completely forgotten them. Once again Anita has illuminated a text so that the reader is able to see it more clearly. Her acute analysis reveals a more sombre and fraught scenario than the reader might expect from a Blyton school story but she points out that the very funny situations and the 'drama daring and daftness' of the book was what appealed to her as a child. At the time I was reading 'Fifth Formers' I'd just finished P.G. Wodehouse's 'Big Business' and for the first time I was struck by some peculiarly Wodehousian qualities to the novel, especially in Chapters18 to 20. There is the humour, of course, provoked by the French teacher Mam'zelle ('foreigners are funny' is a reported Wodehouse statement) but the similarity extends to Blyton's skilled handling of complex narrative strands brought to a satisfying conclusion. Maybe I'm a fan of Wodehouse because one of my first loves was Enid Blyton.
I finished the Journal at 1am this morning and have more to say but I'll leave it til later.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Judith Crabb wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 03:44 Happy days! Waiting for me in my letter box, along with a gas bill and a census form, was Journal 75. I confess that I turned straight to 'Islands on my Mind' and was delighted with the lavish but completely pertinent illustrations Tony chose to accompany the piece. A real bonus was the cover of 'Four on an Island'. Later reprints may have a cover uniform with the series the title was reprinted in, perhaps a picture nothing to do with the story. This was the cover reminding me of the blocked cover of 'The Island of Adventure' also one of the choice illustrations.

I enjoyed reading your article last night.
"The Secret Island" is a book by EB that I discovered in 2008 when I was older. And ever since it has become comfort reading.
At first I felt reminded of this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Island-Is ... oks&sr=1-5
when you compared the old children's book from the 1800's with "Secret Island", until I realized it's a different book.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Thanks, Chrissie. Although 'Moon Castle' was one of my favourites I didn't get to 'The Secret Island' until I was grown up, but I've made up for it since. I've never come across the Greer and Ruddick title you mention - sounds a bit like a 'Three Crusoes too many' kind of book, judging by the cover (which I believe I shouldn't do). Back to the Journal.
'Mary Mouse' by John Lester was a winner, though my childhood acquaintance with Mary was concentrated on the first in the series handed down by a cousin. I didn't much admire the quarto hardbacks I came across much later in the century. I''m not sure whether I read 'The Children of Kidillin' as the only Pollock title I actually owned was 'Smuggler Ben' a tenth birthday present from a girl called Kathryn, but Julie Heginbotham's article encourages me add it to the 'to read' heap. The first Famous Five I ever read and loved, 'Five Go Down to the Sea', gets great coverage in this Journal - Tim Venning's detailed review of the two-part TV series of 1979 with atmospheric coastal scenes and Angela Canning's enthusiastic retelling take me back to reading it on an old sofa at my cousins' and the words 'you can take it home and finish it if you like'.
More later.
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Judith, I'm so glad you mentioned you received your journal yesterday. I didn't check my letterbox yesterday & as it has been raining almost constantly during the past 24hrs, I pictured my journal a soppy mess in the box. I raced out to check & thankfully, several other letters on the top were wet but they had protected the Journal. So this wet miserable day is perfect to curl up by the heater and read the Journal.
cheers
Sue
Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes Sue, I kept checking my letterbox because I was worried about the rain, even though I didn't expect the Journal until August. It made very good time. This must be the first wet winter this century hereabouts, but maybe I was too busy earlier on to notice. I still race to the window when I hear it. Real rain! Excellent weather for Journal reading. I was very pleased to see on the new book page an advertisement for 'Enid Blyton, a Literary Life' by Andrew Maunder. At last, academic attention in a series called 'Literary Lives'. I should be able to buy a copy in Australia as it is a main-stream publisher (Palgrave Macmillan). I enjoyed John Henstock's observations about the Naughtiest Girl and I love literary mysteries, especially when they're solved so completely as a Ten-Year-Old Mystery was. Pat Swadling's career in spreading the Blyton word to the people, and the warm memories he conveyed about Enid Blyton day as well as William Ferguson's account of his experiences on Viv's tour of Blyton country were wonderfully compelling.
Accolades as always to Tony for doing the work. A satisfying feast, visually and intellectually. I particularly admire the Leigh Roberts' illustrations to 'Ding Dong's Magic Spade.'
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I savoured J75 over a few days, relaxing in my summerhouse on a reclining chair, devouring the contents with delight. I was really impressed with dear little Noddy's editorial - a worthy stand-in for the doyen of editors, Tony Summerfield. Unlike some on here, I have always felt that Noddy was a real friend to me in my very early years. I adored the end papers and the pink jacketed Noddy and Tessie Bear was my introduction to the series - I still have a copy and love to sniff it as it brings back so many happy memories! Thank you, Noddy, for writing such a good editorial - and I say that without a hint of grudge!

I must say, I felt a little depressed after reading Anita's article. I always loved the SC series (although MT was my favourite) and never picked up on any "disturbing qualities" that Anita did. It has left me feeling that I don't wish to read the series again.

I remember enjoying the 70s FF Southern Television FF series, but always felt the stories to be rushed. 22 or so minutes couldn't do the series justice, imho. Where it excelled was with the cast - each human played their part perfectly, and to me, the definitive Julian, Dick, Anne and George! More importantly, my 7 year-old granddaughter loves the series, and never tires of watching! She holds me in awe after learning I had met and spoken to "Dick" and Julian"! I look forward to reading Tim's forthcoming 90s articles - my favourite of the two, mainly down to being filmed in period.

I enjoyed reading Angela's Five Go Down to the Sea article - one of my favourite Five's. I have lost account of the "plump little ladies" that feature in so many of Enid's stories. You can almost guarantee that if you come across a farmer's wife/café owner, she will be plump. I recall that any child in the 50s who was unwell, always seemed in need of "fattening-up"!

Pat Swadling's account of his talks was most interesting. I must have seen/met him at a Society Day, but sadly have no recollection.

William Ferguson's account of Viv's Ginger Pop tours was fascinating. I must confess that I have little interest in speculations on which real location that Enid based this or that place. As far as I am concerned, there could be inspirations of many places that Enid visited which could form a vision of one place in her mind's eye. Corfe Castle is an inland village with a ruined castle - bearing no similarities to Kirrin - which was a seaside village with an island which happens to house a ruined castle! Full marks to Viv for reminding us that Enid had said Kirrin Island/Castle was inspired by a small island in the Channel Islands. William mentions Dorset's Blue Pool. Not wishing to disagree with Gillian (how dare he, I hear you cry), I can see no similarity at all to Merran Lake. A location William didn't mention was the Billycock Airfield pool in Five Go to Billycock Hill - and that one was blue!

I, too, have the Adventure Stories that Julie Heginbotham mentions. I love Mischief at St Rollo's (I wish that had turned into a series) and the subject of her article/plot summary, The Children of Kidillin. I did read it as a child and now feel I must re-read it!

I still have one or two articles to read, but these are my thoughts on my particular favourites.

NB Any article not mentioned does not mean I didn't enjoy reading it!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for your comments on my St. Clare's piece, Judith and Nigel (Moonraker). I intend to read L. T. Meade's Four on an Island in the not-too-distant future after having enjoyed your extremely thorough article on it, Judith, though I want to finish the 'Joey' series by Robert Martin first.

Nigel, don't let me put you off Fifth Formers of St. Clare's! You may have a very different response to it, of course.

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I am really enjoying my first copy of the journal and all the articles I have read so far are excellent. In keeping with my habit of not reading enjoyable things in one go I still have to read "A naughty girl - But was she the naughtiest?" and "The Children of Kidillin", perhaps because I am not familiar with either the "Naughtiest Girl" series or the once-off book. Apart from Noddy's editorial, which was brilliant, I especially enjoyed "Islands on My Mind" and "Fifth Formers of St, Clare's". I loved the latter book when I was young, but obviously missed many of the more negative or depressing details, so it would be interesting to read it again as an adult. Once again, many thanks to Tony and all the contributors for a really excellent resource
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I'm looking forward to my copy coming. Hopefully not much longer to wait.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I didn't have much longer to wait indeed. My Journal 75 was in the post box this afternoon. Looking forward to reading Noddy's editorial!
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

That's wonderful! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great stuff lenoir. 75 is a classic.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member