Journal 71

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Re: Journal 71

Post by Nick »

Journal 71 ravished and placed, neatly, on the book shelf with the others!

A huge thanks to all those that contributed to this edition, it provided some much needed escapism in these uncertain times. Its a shame to read about the declining readership, the world seems to be moving away from traditional print and on to digital formats and podcasts. I do wonder if we could all be a bit more proactive in pushing the journal on Twitter, Instagram and FaceBook?

An Enid podcast would also be great but being involved in a Las Vegas Raiders Blog I can really appreciate juts how much work goes into producing just a single article.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nick wrote:I do wonder if we could all be a bit more proactive in pushing the journal on Twitter, Instagram and FaceBook?
Tony and I have spoken about Facebook many times. It appears than in spite of every post being "liked" by many people immediately, there is no evidence that Facebook has been responsible for any new Journal subscribers. In fact, because of this I wonder if there is much point in continuing with it. There are a plethora of Blyton Facebook pages, including Fiona's World of Blyton Blog. Many an article in Best of British would be of more use - after all, that is read mainly by older people!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed the latest Journal, so thanks for all concerned. Well done for winning a few battles (if not the war) with your new computer, Tony.

Anita's post says it all really, so I have nothing to add, other than roll on the next one. Maybe we will be Covid-19 free by then!
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I have completed reading Journal 71 and found it as entertaining as previous ones.
I enjoyed all the articles and in particular the one by Angela Canning regarding Brownsea Island. I visited the island several years ago by boat from Poole after checking out Viv's shop which she had in Poole at that time.
The uncollected story, Easter Time at Granny's, wasn't as predictable as I expected with the chickens attacking the children's eggs in the hen house.
For all those critics who imply that Enid was lazy with her use of vocabulary they ought to read The Wood At Night which is reprinted in this journal. I love the phrase, Black shadows crouched beneath the trees, which I believe to be a perfect and sinister description.
Many thanks to all the contributors and to Tony for meeting the challenge of producing such a lovely journal with a new computer. It's a shame that such a large number of new subscribers fail to renew and I haven't got an answer as to how to keep them. Maybe the new adaptation of Malory Towers might entice some new members but will they fall by the wayside after just a year?
Despite the falling membership I still feel that the journal is excellent value for the annual subscription.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely to read people's comments. I agree with you completely regarding Enid Blyton's vocabulary, John!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have now read the Journal from cover to cover, savouring all the articles for their interest and variety. It seems unfair to pick any to comment on specially...I'm bound to leave something out! ... but thanks to all the contributors, to those who have been long standing members and whose items are always of interest, and those who are newer, and have brought new ideas and have looked at Enid's work from fresh perspectives.
All the articles are greatly enhanced by the addition of the many illustrations that Tony finds and adds to the pages - making them so attractive. Thanks once again Tony for all your hard work , especially, as others have mentioned, in the face of getting to grips with a new computer. Yet another great addition to my Blyton collection.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Daisy wrote:It seems unfair to pick any to comment on specially...I'm bound to leave something out!
Oh, don't feel you have to comment on everything! It's interesting when people pick out a couple of items that made them think or raised a question in their mind, or that simply struck a chord or reminded them of something from their childhood. People's responses to articles/stories/letters etc. can be as fascinating as the items themselves and lead to quite a discussion!

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Daisy wrote:It seems unfair to pick any to comment on specially...I'm bound to leave something out!
Oh, don't feel you have to comment on everything!
I'm glad you said that, Anita. I commented on Angela Canning's article but it doesn't mean I didn't appreciate everyone else's efforts. I thought all the articles were very well written and pertinent to Enid.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm late tucking into this month's Journal as I've had a lot to attend to and a few people to look after.

But, in the next couple of days I intend to erect my new greenhouse, put the executive office chair inside it recently given to me by the former chairman of North West Water, and read it from cover to cover.

I may also look out for a clay pipe and some 'baccy' to complete the experience.
I will of course install some fake plastic plants and flowers inside the greenhouse to make it look as if I'm in there for an honourable purpose!!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

:lol: Enjoy! You deserve a rest.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

:lol: Sounds great, Pete!

Society Member
Nick

Post by Nick »

I found Angela’s piece really interesting, especially when she mentioned Old Harry’s Rocks.

We have this picture in our lounge and whilst I knew that it was based on Old Harry’s Rocks I certainly wasn’t aware of their history. Thank you :D

https://www.castlefineart.com/art/coastal-view
Last edited by Nick on 28 Mar 2020, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's an eye-catching picture, Nick - so full of light and colour.

Society Member
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Anita. Paul Corfield is one of my favourite artists, I’m sure he describes his style as the Mr Men meeting realism! This is the last one we purchased. It took years of the artist, and his followers, badgering the publisher before they agreed to release a snow scene.

https://www.castlefineart.com/art/its-cold-outside" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That looks really soothing. I wonder why the art publisher didn't like the idea of a snow scene.

Society Member