Journal 70

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 70

Post by Wolfgang »

Chrissie777 wrote:I even unearthed the 22nd and 23rd FF books written by Brigitte Blobel (which EB's heirs didn't accept and therefore forced Bertelsmann to stop selling them, but then a few years later French author Claude Voilier was all off a sudden allowed to write FF continuation stories which never made much sense to me).
I read somewhere that it wasn't like this. Bertelsmann had get permission by Hodder to write the continuation novels, but hadn't asked Waters Ltd (I think that is/was the name then). This organisation objected to the continuation novels then.
It sounds plausible to me, because some years ago there was a quarrel between the publisher of the German "Three investigators" series and Europa that publishes the audiobooks of the brand. Obviously rights can be divided and limited, which doesn't make it easy to see through things.
Chrissie777 wrote: Several EB books like "The Secret Island", "The Secret of Spiggy Holes", "The Hollow Tree House", "The Adventurous Four" and "The Adventurous Four Again" were new discoveries for me since 2008. They were either not translated into German at all or have been turned into different stories in order to create a new book series.
All five book mentioned by you were "officially" published in Germany, but "The Secret Island", "The Secret of Spiggy Holes", "The Adventurous Four" and "The Adventurous Four Again" were heavily edited to fit into one series. I think that the changes to "Spiggy Holes" were not that extensive, the main plot was kept intact, but admittedly I have read the English edition only once and the German edition maybe two times.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
timv

Post by timv »

Daisy, I was referring specifically to the cover illustrations to 'Secret Island' and 'Secret of Spiggy Holes' by Harry Rountree and the 'younger age', smock-like dresses that the girls were wearing in those. They reminded me of the illustrations to first editions of A A MiIne's 1920s books of verse for younger children and those in 1930s annuals for small children. It would be intriguing to know if text illustrator Davie and HR were both working from a brief given to them by Enid or came up with the ages and style of clothes of of the children themselves.

The 'pepper-pot' tower given for Peep-Hole in Harry Rountree's cover illustration for Spiggy Holes is intriguing, and seems to add to the 'fairy-tale' element of the book/ series. I wonder if the series was originally envisaged in this manner by Enid and so the illustrations' style was chosen to reflect this - in Secret Island there's a wish fulfilment theme of 'let's run away to live on our own on an island' and 'run away from wicked relatives' and in Spiggy Holes the first major use of the 'mysterious lights flashing from a tower' theme that was to become associated with Enid. In reality, you don't get many 'pepper-pot' topped towers on English buildings as it's a Continental style of architecture - French and German. I've seen pictures of this sort of tower in the Rhineland, which possibly gave the illustrator the idea for it (via editions of Grimms' fairy-tales?). In the UK the only towers I've come across like this are C19th Gothic 'fantasy' additions to earlier buildings. There's a C19th top like this that was added to a tower in the Lower Ward at Windsor Castle, and in Wales a heavily restored 'Rhineland fantasy' reconstruction of medieval Castell Coch overlooking the River Taff a few miles N of Cardiff, visible from the M4 motorway. There's also this sort of fantasy alteration at Cardiff Castle as restored in the 1860s? for the coal-millionaire Marquis of Bute (descendant of the builder of the demolished original Highcliffe Castle, the 1978 Famous Five series location).
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Tim... I was a bit puzzled as I have the Basil Blackwell hard backs - which don't credit an illustrator at all in the way most books do.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Another superb Journal, which I’ve now read from cover to cover and thoroughly enjoyed. Many thanks to Tony and all the contributors. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Dick

Post by William E »

Hi, This is a very informative journal. There is much that I found interesting.

Enjoyed the EB article about picking books for children. The article about farming stories was particular of interest as farming in the 30 and 40 changed drastically after WW2.
Would like to get hold of the GWR publicity book Five Go On a Great Western Adventure.
Feasibility plots by David Martin was very informative. I also enjoyed the Angela Canning article about he Secret Seven Illustrator. Winfried Secker had me thinking about developing my collection. Fiveology was a good article too Tim Venning was top notch about the 1978 filming of Five on a Secret Trail.
It is always good to see your own article in print too. The diary extracts of EB were interesting and I enjoyed reading them. The little stories were enjoyed by my neighbours young daughter.
I will look out for the play about Malory Towers. This was an enjoyable read.
The Lawder Twins was a good thoughtful piece about settling differences. Good for Christmas.
Another excellent magazine.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

My Journal arrived in the mail today, and I was rather disappointed - not with the contents, which I'm sure will be excellent as usual, but with the condition. It has an awful lot of creases in it and looks decidedly beaten up. Most of the time, my Journals arrive in mint condition or near enough to it. The pages are all intact and it's perfectly readable, but yeah, a bit disappointing and kind of annoying to receive it in that sort of shape. Guess it must have had an argument with a sorting machine and lost or something. But I'm sure delving into its contents will make me feel a little better!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have been suffering (and I mean suffering) with shingles for a month now, so EBSJ70 was a welcomed drop on the door-mat for me! I agree with all comments previously written, and, once again, thoroughly enjoyed this Journal. Just a few comments from me this time. Like Pete, I always read Tony's editorial first (in fact, I read the Journal in chronological order). I love to spot the 'slight dig' which he usually manages to fit in. This time it was a slight slap on the wrist to those who haven't commented on the coloured centre-spread. I must say, I always linger over this double-page spread, although possibly haven't specifically mentioned it in a post; (I happen to enjoy the Feedback pages in Radio Times, but I must confess that I have never written to RT to tell them so). I also agree with Tony that it was good to see articles from new contributors. As someone else remarked, I too missed an article from Rob Houghton.

We have discussed modern illustrations (usually confined to covers, these days) in the past. Enid has now had the chance to join in the discussion, where she says (page 14), "They [illustrations] should be plain, well-drawn, not "modern" or sophisticated; i.e., a cow should really look like a cow, not like a blur or a blob of red; a car should have all its details drawn in properly, so that the child can pore over them--it should not be an expressionistic daub of body wheels." I'd also like to thank William Ferguson for crediting me with my review of Five Go Off to Camp, which I wrote in 2005!

Interesting as it might be, I gave up on the eight pages of Ladies' Year Book ::: 1929 as I found it too much of a strain to read and decipher. Maybe a transcript could have helped.

All in all, another excellent Journal. Thanks to Tony and all the contributors for making it all possible.

Speaking of Tony, I have only just found out he is computerless. It could well be more serious than just buying a new computer, though. Tony and I have discussed this in the past. All of his programs and databases are on this computer - programs that are most unlikely to work on a new machine. I only hope a solution can be found.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I know from our recent meeting that you were suffering with shingles, Nigel. From my own past experience I am aware of just how painful this condition can be and I sincerely hope that you make a speedy and full recovery.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

All the best from us, too, Nigel!!!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I had an elderly aunt some years ago who got shingles and she had a lot of discomfort with them. I had the one-off injection a couple of years ago after I turned 70 which will hopefully prevent me from getting them. Hope yours clear up soon, Nigel.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I had a shingles vaccination 5 or 6 years ago, but did read this year that there's a new and better vaccination available now. Will get it in January.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry you've been suffering with shingles, Nigel. Hope you soon make a full recovery.

Also sorry to hear that your Journal arrived looking rather battered, Rowan.

Thanks for the various comments on my article about the Malory Towers musical.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Apparently, for two days early Sept of this year, a BBC production team came down to the Bodmin and Wenford Steam Railway in Bodmin, to do some filming for a new programme based on Enid's Malory Towers. The station was used as Paddington. The BBC props dept brought along all the items they needed for the new programme which they say will be shown in early spring of next year. Some of the staff were posing as extras.
That's interesting, Julie. I knew there was going to be a TV serial but I hadn't heard anything about where it was being filmed.
timv wrote:The Malory Towers play sounds really good, and thanks to Anita for her review - hopefully it will get more people thinking positive thoughts about Enid's 'community' and 'kindness' values to counter the automatic PC knee-jerk comments about racism etc. The posting up of quotes from Enid around the theatre should provide useful 'sound-bites' to use in her defence when someone trots out a glib comment; perhaps we should have an archive of these?
The following thread has a collection of "words of wisdom" from Enid's books, Tim:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... dom#p59650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daisy wrote:I enjoyed reading Anita's views about the Malory Towers play. I'm not sure I would have been able to get my head round the very different looks of Darrell and Sally! I'm pleased it was such a success though. I hope it may encourage more to read the originals. I wonder what the typical average age of the audience was over the time of its run.
I don't know about the whole run, but Tony and I saw the play during the summer holidays and there were numerous children in the audience, boys as well as girls. I heard quite a few of them saying the show was "really good" - and several children were clutching Malory Towers books, which was lovely to see.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

At least one Journal 70 has made it to Australia. First I read the Editorial and noted that it mentioned one or two new contributors. Until I read the Contents page it did not occur to me that I was one of them. On the rare occasion that I send off an email I assume that it is read by the recipient (if I'm lucky) and then disappears except in my 'Sent' record. To receive a copy of what I emailed (and with illustrations added) in a real magazine of such quality was an honour and a surprise. I immediately read my contribution, twice.
I am looking forward very much to reading the rest of the Journal when I get over my shock.
Judith Crabb
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Judith Crabb wrote:I read the Editorial and noted that it mentioned one or two new contributors. Until I read the Contents page it did not occur to me that I was one of them...I am looking forward very much to reading the rest of the Journal when I get over my shock.
Judith Crabb
And a most interesting article it was, too, Judith. Always good to hear of other collector's tales!

Thanks for the good wishes, friends. My doctor did say I could have the vaccine next year - not a lot of help right now, though! I will still have it as I don't want this again. I had shingles before when I was about 15, nothing like this though.
Last edited by Moonraker on 16 Dec 2019, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

All the best from me too, Nigel.
Society Member