Journal 66

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 66

Post by Lucky Star »

I came home to find it on the mat and very beautiful it looks too. I've just read Tony's editorial so far but will son devour the rest. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

Many thanks for the Journal, Tony. Great work as always and a lovely cover. I'm glad to see my photos and Number Six's came out well - there's plenty more of mine left for future Journal articles.

Very interesting article by Rob and nice instances of 'see a FF episode from a different point of view' by Ilsa (Sid in Fall Into Adventure) and Hans-Christian (Richard in Get Into Trouble). I liked John on Enid's George compared to Arthur Ransome's Nancy - both are more generous than when seen at first sight, but Nancy is more mature - and Anita on Enid and E Nesbit.

Tammylan and Twigg have always been two of my favourites - and the more realistic 'chain of near-disasters' storylines in More Adventures at Wilow Farm make this a stronger book than its predecessor. (It gets a bit like Monica Edwards at times, though ME, with older readers, went further and killed off some animals.) I wonder if Enid was influenced by the 1940s BBC Radio 'old countryman dispenses rural tales' broadcasts by rural author 'Romany' ?
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm looking forward to this Journal when I get back home, especially the comparison between George and Nancy — I've only read one of Arthur Ransome's books (Swallows and Amazons itself), but I enjoyed it and really liked Nancy as a character. Right now I'm actually in the Lake District and am planning to do a cruise on Coniston Water tomorrow, which includes a few S&A locations! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Dipped into Journal yesterday - from Tony's editorial it looks like future contributions for possible inclusion in the Journal would be welcome from us if possible?

Sid's Wonderful Evening by Ilsa Cheeseman (22) - Just loved this brilliant article - right up my street. I'm as partial to these type of peep behind the curtain accounts as Sid is to blancmange - wonderful.

Now off to dip back in.

ps.

Enjoyed the Birn Brothers new discoveries (page 42 & 43) . Have I missed how these came to light? - or if not would be interested to find out.

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Pete - yes, Sid had quite a tale to tell me! :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:Dipped into Journal yesterday - from Tony's editorial it looks like future contributions for possible inclusion in the Journal would be welcome from us if possible?
Definitely (but that's always been the case) :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My Journal arrived yesterday and I've now finished taking my time to read each word.

I love the front cover, very summery indeed. And the centre fold of the donkeys from the Birn Brothers' book is lovely.

As always I read the Editorial from Tony firstly, then I went on the Ilsa's - Sid's Wonderful Evening. And then onto A Letter from Richard. I love this new intake on using Enid's characters to speak for themselves, as it were. Fan-fic in a way, but it really shows how we love these characters of Enid's to be able to place ourselves in their characters and speak, on their behalf as it were. Really enjoyable. Love them both. It's so refreshing to read something so different, in the Journal.

I enjoyed Shelley Dockrell's article on Illicit Nights with Enid. And nice to see pictures of Viv's shops, sadly no longer open. I then read Tim's article on the TV series. I spoke with Tim on the May gathering, and his, and Onkel Quentin's knowledge on this series is amazing. I also have quite a few of these photos kindly sent to me via email, from Aidrian (number 6 on the forums).

Interesting article from Anita about Enid and Edith Nesbit and the similarities. I've never read any of Nesbit, but have seen many times the adaptations of The Railway Children. Loved the story of the Dolls' House Exhibition. I too have an old dolls house, but not as grand as the one Enid writes about. Liked Enid's story of Vain Miranda too.

I have read some of the farm stories mentioned in Rob's article, but it was so long ago my memory is faded of what was in these books.

All in all another great Journal, with a happy cover. Thanks to Tony for it's production and all the contributors for their input, in this Summer 2018 edition.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

My journal arrived now and I'm so happy and excited to read!!! Feel so fortunate to be a member of this beautiful society.. and thanks you so much Tony, Anita, and everyone that makes this journal possible.. And I promise I'll write an article for the next one!!! :wink:

Well, I'm going to begin my reading... yayyy :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Wonderful to come home to a new Journal! :D So far I've read and enjoyed Rob's latest Cookery Book article (I haven't read any of the farm stories yet, so now I really must!), Some Questions about the Faraway Tree (none of which I asked myself as a child either! :lol: ), Illicit Nights with Enid (lovely reminder of the Ginger Pop Shops, which sadly are no more), and George Kirrin and Nancy Blackett — very interesting comparison of two strong girl characters from classic children's books. I must admit I prefer Nancy to George and have always appreciated the way in which the Amazons don't seem to have any notion at all of "boys do the adventurous things and girls do the cooking", not even to pay lip-service to such conventions — they just go ahead and do whatever they want to do, often with more flair than the boys!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Also just read "The Stolen Cocoanut Cakes" (love the old-fashioned spelling, although the "coco" in coconut isn't related to cocoa as in chocolate!). I love these early stories of Enid's and this one is a delightful example of her imaginative "how it came to be" tales with a magical explanation of something in the natural world, rather along the lines of Kipling's Just So Stories and indeed of legends from many different cultures around the world. I used to love thinking up and writing stories like that too when I was little! :D I had no idea in this case, though, that gorse flowers smell like coconut... I guess I've never been close enough to a flowering gorse bush to notice. I will have to confirm it for myself next time I see one! :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Enid mentions many times that gorse smells like coconut. I think its in at least two or three Famous Five books, and probably in a Barney book. :-) I think its also in my Famous Five book, but that was just me copying Enid! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, I haven't read most of the Famous Five or Barney books — and I've never stuck my nose in a gorse bush!! :wink:
Society Member

Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:...and I've never stuck my nose in a gorse bush!! :wink:
If you ever plan to do that, think of Jack in "The castle of Adventure" and wrap yourself in a blanket first! :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Journal # 66 arrived safely in Massachusetts. Thank you, Tony!
Can't wait to read it this weekend. :):):)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Courtenay wrote:...and I've never stuck my nose in a gorse bush!! :wink:
If you ever plan to do that, think of Jack in "The castle of Adventure" and wrap yourself in a blanket first! :wink:
I was wondering where I got a similar idea from when I wrote 'The Rawlins' Reach Mystery' lol. Now I know! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member