Journal Jitters

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal Jitters

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks for the figures Tony. 330 is actually more than I thought given the dire tone of your initial post.

The voluntary donations are a good idea and I too am happy to give one. While the financial aspect is obviously important (it could sink the journal of it gets too bad) I think a greater concern is simply the falling level of interest in it. There may come a time when the number of subscribers is so low that it becomes simply not worthwhile to produce the magazine.

It will be a difficult decision but I would rather see the Journal go out on a high rather than wither away! Hopefully there will be a turnaround and that won't happen. I'm sure Tony will monitor the situation and advise us.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for the figures Tony. 330 is actually more than I thought given the dire tone of your initial post.

I imagine it is the downward spiral that is the most worrying. While 330 might seem to be a healthy number, out of a world population of 7 billion, it is a drop in the ocean.
It will be a difficult decision but I would rather see the Journal go out on a high rather than wither away!
I would agree to a point. I wouldn't like to see the Journal end up like a parish magazine - or even worse. Imagine a 4 page leaflet, in black and white! The Journal is a tremendous achievement and is a quality product. Long may it last, but like Green Hedges, it won't go on for ever. I feel tremendously thankful that I discovered it a decade or so ago!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I feel very sad sometimes that I only discovered the EB Society just as it seems to have come to the end of it's Golden Era. :cry:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I didn't join until 2007 and before then visited for a short while. You are lucky Nigel that you discovered the Society so early on.

I keep thinking of all those lovely Blyton Days I've missed! :cry:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I joined in 2006, but had lurked for ages. My first Journal is number 18 - Summer 2002 and, by the way, has 60 pages.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm not totally sure when I joined, but I think it was about 2000! I feel old now! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You obviously were a member of the society before coming on the forum (like me) which as we can see was in 2005, My first Journal in 2002 had an article by you Robert - Part 3 of your review on the Adventure series.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

We are only in the Silver era, Katharine, the Golden era is still to come. I don't want people writing the Journal off, so long as the articles come in the Journal will continue to go out!

You have every right to think that I live in a chaotic state, but my files are more efficient than you perhaps realise.
Rob joined on February 22nd 2000, membership number 507
Anita, October 3rd 2000, 557
Daisy, August 14th 2002, 710
Nigel, February 1st 2005, 869
Lucky Star, May 27th 2006, 1002
Julie, May 22nd 2007, 1147
Katharine, May 16th 2010, 1642
Pete, February 26th, 2011, 1728
Poppy, July 19th 2011, 1773

Normally I am the only person who ever sees the membership numbers!! :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Interesting information, Tony. I'd be interested to know when I joined and what my membership number is. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Eddie you are the Grand Daddy as you joined on June 26th 1996, but sadly you don't have a number as you predate my computer and that was the first time that I started giving numbers.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm amazed you weren't in there Eddie, perhaps Tony is saving the best until last? :wink: I wonder who No. 1 was?

Tony, I'm very pleased to hear that the Golden Era is yet to come, do you have anything special planned? :D

I have 2 drafts of articles that I've never finished. I'm not sure whether I ought to hurry up and finish them, just in case the Journal does come to an abrupt end, or to hang on to them in case the thought of having to read yet more of my waffling with lead to even more people cancelling their subscriptions. :?

Just had another look, can't believe Anita was No. 557! I'm very pleased with my membership No., I like even numbers. I'm surprised Pete joined after me, as he's such an ambassador for the Journal, I thought he might have been one of the first. I was surprised that I only waited 6 months between joining the forums, and signing up for the Journal. I actually bought my first Journal (No. 1) on 1st March 2007, from E-Bay, it only cost me £2, I didn't want to sign up for the Journal until I knew if it was good value for money. That means that I must have been lurking around the forums for nearly 3 years before I actually started posting! What a fool I was, I must have missed out on so much.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Poppy, July 19th 2011, 1773
Could this possibly be a resubscription date, Tony? My first Journal was no:40 (Winter, 2009) and I have had them ever since.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's incredible, Tony. My membership number is a number which is very special to me, for my own reasons! :)

I had no idea it is my membership number. Absolutely amazing. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote: I'm very pleased with my membership No., I like even numbers. I'm surprised Pete joined after me, as he's such an ambassador for the Journal, I thought he might have been one of the first.
Sorry to disappoint you Katharine. I was (coughs apologetically) a member of the Green Hedges Magazine from about 1999 onwards though...

It's amazing re reading the old Green Hedges Mags now how so many of the old familiar names from here popped up there with regularity as well,for instance I definitely remember reading appreciative comments etc in The Green Hedges from Eddie & Anita who I think also subscribed way back in the twentieth century! :D :D

Last edited by pete9012S on 18 Oct 2014, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oh you lucky thing Pete. I have all but one Journal, but only a handful of Green Hedges magazines, haven't seen any on E-bay for ages. :cry:
Society Member