Journal Jitters

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Journal Jitters

Post by Poppy »

Ah, right - thanks for that Tony. Yes, my Grandad was the one to find the Society and so he used to pay for the Journal for me, every year and have it sent to him. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I found and joined EB yahoo group in 2000. Then I found EB society (the blue webpage) in 2002. I found EB net, Michael's web page, Heather's website around 2002-2003. I found EB Society ( the red homepage and forum) in 2004. I was a silent reader back then. I recognised a few ID from EB yahoo group. I joined forum in 2006. Within 2004-2006, I had this thought that only members could buy the journals( for some reason, I did not even think that I could be a member and buy the journals!). I found that I could buy the journal in 2007. My first journal was #37. Had I known earlier that I could buy the journal simply by becoming a member myself, I would have bought the journal in 2004!

I remember back then, it was difficult to find the back issues of journals! There was no special buttons for journals and online shop. I think I voiced out this issue in 2008-2009.

I enjoyed reading all the journals and I have every desires to continue subscribing them! I'll resubscribe later this year. Thank you so much to Tony, Keith and all the writers of the articles in the journals!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If Bates Avenue rings a bell, Poppy, it would be November 23rd 2009, No. 1563
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Yes, that'll be right, thanks Tony! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Just a suggestion.

Tony, is it possible for you to list all the individual short stories titles from various sources( original from magazines and original from books collection) just like the novels, please?

I've just browsed and looked at some of the magazines. Some of the stories are uncollected. I am very curious( very much!) about them. How many short stories are collected and how many stories are uncollected? It's quite a task but I also would like to know the exact number of individual short stories Enid had written.

I also notice that one short story is stated as uncollected but the story is( has been) collected in one of the book collection.

The Tale of Nimble-Thimble ( Sunny Stories for Little Folks) is collected in The Little White Rabbits and Other Stories.
sixret

Post by sixret »

Compile the list by year or by the alphabet. It would be fun to have all the short stories in one page with the information on the first source and status(collected or uncollected).
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's fascinating to read about people's joining dates and membership numbers! I remember that I took out a subscription to Green Hedges Magazine towards the end of 1999 but didn't subscribe to the Enid Blyton Society Journal until a year later.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Just want to mention that I would like to buy the past journals #1-#36. :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Daisy wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote: You're quite right, Pete, I subscribed to "Green Hedges Magazine" from the start and have a complete collection of this publication: 41 issues which ran from January 1992 to Summer 2002.
Eddie said this earlier.
I've said It three times before in fact (November 2011, April 2013 and March 2014), but I thought it worth mentioning again as the information may have been missed by some of the more recent forum members and they might just find it of interest. :D
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 18 Oct 2014, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I know most people prefer to receive the journal in physical form as mentioned by Tony. I prefer to receive them in physical form as well but I don't mind receiving them as PDF. It's so much better if there is an option whether to receive them as booklet or PDF. The production cost can be reduced and the subscribers(especially the international) don't have to pay the postage cost. I am not sure whether there is a cost involves to sell them as PDF especially all the back issues. I don't think there is a cost involved to sell the back issues as PDF. Just sent the soft copies via e-mail. You get more money to cover whatever current cost involved in the production of current journal.
Tony Summerfield

All this talk of earlier days has reminded me of something which might have even eluded Katharine! I sent this out with Journal 8 and it was edited by Gillian Baverstock. Not too many around now I would guess!!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't think I've got that one, but I am very lucky to have one or two Junior Newsletters that came in a job lot with some Journals I bought. I also have programmes from most of the EB Days, even though I've only attended one.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Obviously Amy who was aged 9 at the time is now an adult, but her mum is still a keen member of the Society and buys all the new Society Booklets and has also attended almost every Enid Blyton Day.
Tony Summerfield

sixret wrote:I also notice that one short story is stated as uncollected but the story is( has been) collected in one of the book collection.

The Tale of Nimble-Thimble ( Sunny Stories for Little Folks) is collected in The Little White Rabbits and Other Stories.
What you seemed to miss is that 'Timothy's Egg' in the same book is also listed as uncollected in Sunny Stories for Little Folks No. 86. The reason for this is simple, neither of these stories was used in any books that were put together by Enid Blyton. These two and several others have been collected in more modern editions which have been published in the 1990s and later.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Tony. It's interesting to see the Junior Newsletter.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member