Journal 29

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Journal 29

Post by Lenoir »

The Spring 2006 journal arrived in my letter box today. :)
I've only had time for a quick glance through it so far and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Hope I can make it last a few evenings instead of reading it too quickly!
Moonraker

Re: Journal 29

Post by Moonraker »

lenoir wrote:The Spring 2006 journal arrived in my letter box today. :)
I've only had time for a quick glance through it so far and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Hope I can make it last a few evenings instead of reading it too quickly!
That's the trouble, Lenoir - I can't put it down until I've read it from cover to cover!

Another great issue.
Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I'm loving it. I have yet to read it right through, but I thoroughly enjoyed the articles by Anita Bensoussane and John Henstock. A really great issue so far. I'll read the rest in bed tonight.
enidblytoncollector

Post by enidblytoncollector »

Got mine today, this is the first one for me, only joined up yesterday and it was here this morning :-) :shock: very quick. Just need the members password bit to be updated now so i can finaly see the rest of the site. :D
Tony Summerfield

Journal 29

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks for the feedback - always appreciated by both me and the contributors who write the articles.

I have been asked where the 'Letter from Snubby' on page 17 came from and the answer is Sunny Stories No. 503, March 23rd 1951. I always try to keep up with Enid and include as many illustrations as possible, though in this particular issue the articles were so long that I didn't have room for the usual captions. If I can I use illustrations that are not so well known and in Anita's article I took them all from the original serialisation in Sunny Stories being careful to use ones that were not used in the books.

You might be interested that an abridged version of Anita's article appeared in the latest issue of the magazine .Cent - I hadn't heard of it either and I have certainly never seen it on the shelves in newsagents!!

Please do leave me feedback as it is helpful to know what is and isn't wanted in future Journals.

Best wishes
Tony
Katharine

Re: Journal 29

Post by Katharine »

Another great Journal.

Interesting to read Anita's thoughts on The Faraway Tree, and I loved seeing the illustrations that accompanied it. My own Faraway Tree books are the 1970s Deans with different pictures. Both sets have their merits. :)

John Henstock gave some well reasoned suggestions for various aspects of the 'R' books, and it was nice to see the 'Letter from Snubby' on the following page. I love to see 'gems' like that are unlikely to be seen elsewhere.

I was especially interested to read David Chambers' article on Bobs as I'm currently reading the Society Booklet of Bobs' letters.

I enjoyed reading Robert Houghton's article about Snowball the Pony - I'm not sure if I've read that story before or not, as parts of it seemed familiar, but then maybe that's because it was a typical tale for younger readers.

The centre spread of the Brockhampton Little books was a joy to look at.

David Cook's continuing look at the Adventure Series was just as good as ever.

Terry Gustofson made a good attempt at trying to answer the old question of how many books did Enid write. :)

Gordon Lupson's second instalment on anomalies of FF D/W will be useful to refer to if I ever need to check the authenticity of a D/W.

John Henstock's letter about the updating shows that the subject has been rumbling on for years. :(

I enjoyed seeing the photo of Enid looking out of a window at Green Hedges - a family snapshot or a publicity pose I wonder?

Finally the back page contained yet another Birns booklet being discovered - always good to see yet another one popping up. :)
Society Member