Journal 46

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 46

Post by Lucky Star »

What an excellent issue of the Journal. I particularly enjoyed Anita's exploration of The Put-em-rights. This is a book I came to only as an adult but I did agree with everything the article said. I particularly liked the comparison between the book and E Nesbit's The Wouldbegoods.

I loved John henstock's article about The Rilloby Fair Mystery, a very old favourite of mine. He summed up the case for leaving books alone very well and I enjoyed his little forays into Victorian literature. His collection of such old books soounds very good indeed. I didn't much like those new illustrations though, give me the originals anyday. Similarly John Lester's article on Enid Boyton was very illuminating, what a pity story magazines such as the ones he mentioned are now largely defunct. Victims of the internet I suppose.

Very nice indeed to read articles by Tony and Imogen, rare treats indeed. A Brush with Enid Blyton sounds like a very worthwhile read, I'll have to look out for it if its not too expensive. Great article from Tony. Half of the authors he mentioned are old faves of mine and the other half I have absolutely never heard of! A terrific selection of book covers accompanied this article, there must have been a lot of digging going on in the Cave recently. :D

Of course it's always a pleasure to read a new Enid Blyton article or story and we got several in this issue. Jan and the Wishing Cap was lovely; one could already see the nucleus of an idea that she would revisit many times in her later career. And for once I actually enjoyed her adult story. In past journals I have found these to be a bit weak compared to her classic childrens output but this one had a nice ring of suspense to it and three memorable characters.

With l;ots of nice artwork on display and a most upbeat and encouraging editorial I can say that Tony deserves yet another hearty Thank You for putting together such an outstanding publication. My resubscription has already gone in. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:I particularly enjoyed Anita's exploration of The Put-em-rights. This is a book I came to only as an adult but I did agree with everything the article said. I particularly liked the comparison between the book and E Nesbit's The Wouldbegoods.
Cheers, John. Looking through the article in the Journal I feel the passage I quoted from The Put-Em-Rights is on the long side, but since I hadn't cut anything out of the Nesbit excerpt I wanted to be fair and cut nothing out of the Blyton excerpt either. I too only came to The Put-Em-Rights as an adult but I imagine that even as a child I'd have found it quite different from most of Enid Blyton's other books.
Lucky Star wrote:And for once I actually enjoyed her adult story. In past journals I have found these to be a bit weak compared to her classic childrens output but this one had a nice ring of suspense to it and three memorable characters.
I liked this one too. I quickly warmed to the eccentric trio and their lively dog, and enjoyed the slight air of menace. The comical illustrations are appealing, especially the one of Bugs with the teapot. It's interesting that the story was printed in a Scottish travel journal in 1935. We know of course that Hugh Pollock was Scottish and had relatives there and that he and Enid had been on a motoring holiday in Scotland in 1933, though whether she ever went caravanning I don't know. I can't help being reminded of the unpublished Mr. Tumpy's Caravan. That's also about three quirky-sounding characters and a dog who go travelling in a caravan and is believed to have been written in the late 1920s or early 1930s.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Not for the first time, as soon as I put something into print I read something else which immediately contradicts it.

In the centre pages of this latest Journal I showed some rough artwork for two cassettes and added that I believed they had never been released and Georgina Hargreaves, whose artwork it was, was of the same opinion. Today on ebay I noticed that someone is selling the W.H. Smith cassette of The Adventures of the Wishing-Chair. Sadly it is just the cassette without the case so for the moment we will not know what the finished artwork for the case looked like, but hopefully now that I know it exists one will come to light at some stage in the future. Wrong yet again, Tony! :oops:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

At least it shows that, even with your vast knowledge of all things Blyton, it's still possible to learn something new and be surprised - you'll never have a dull life, that's for sure! :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I freely admit that I still have a lot to learn about the Audio side of Blyton merchandise, I need help folks! :lol:
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I freely admit that I still have a lot to learn about the Audio side of Blyton merchandise, I need help folks! :lol:
Any interest in the German audio side, Tony?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Tony Summerfield

Not at this stage thanks, Wolfgang, though I might get there at some time in the future. I have checked out the German cassettes on the excellent German Famous Five Website, but the problem there is that they only deal with the Famous Five, so it is difficult to find out what is available for other series.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Another fantastic journal! A great read from all who contributed. I always love reading Anita's contributions, as I like the way she makes references to other books, which makes you think to yourself - oh, yes, of course!

I really liked the poem, A Sea Phantasy. Enid really did write some lovely poems. It was nice of Angela Canning to take us back to that wonderful day at Old Thatch. Interesting reading from Tony, on No Prizes for Enid!

It was all enjoyable. And the picture on the front is just lovely. Makes you want to step inside and share their joy on opening the Christmas presents. :D

Thanks Tony.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Not at this stage thanks, Wolfgang, though I might get there at some time in the future. I have checked out the German cassettes on the excellent German Famous Five Website, but the problem there is that they only deal with the Famous Five, so it is difficult to find out what is available for other series.
Things I stumbled over so far: different editions of Adventure series, St. Clares, Malory Towers, Mystery and R-Mystery, Secret Seven, Arnold children, Enchanted world, stand alone novels... Then we have to distinguish between Audioplays and Audiobooks, a wide field as you see.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've really enjoyed reading the Journal as always. I turned to the articles by Angela Canning and Julie first. Angela's contains some delightful snippets of information about Old Thatch and is a very readable reminder of a lovely gathering. Julie's article took me to Penn Road/Blyton Close, though I've yet to go there in reality, and it was fabulous to see the photo of Upton Leigh - something that remains from the days when Enid Blyton lived in Penn Road.

I enjoy the way John Henstock so often brings in books by other authors and it's also fun to see the Eric Rowe pictures for The Rilloby Fair Mystery, though Rowe's version of Great-uncle Robert looks more like my mental image of Tammylan! Little Lady Prim sounds hilarious! I agree with John that modernising a book makes it "a sort of hybrid that fits neither the past nor the modern age" and that the original text is "a valuable record of the way children and others spoke and reacted during that era."

'A Sea Phantasy' makes a beautiful double-page spread and the Teachers World letters and Morning Post article as usual give us glimpses of Enid's day to day life (though no doubt embellished and idealised). Interesting that Enid got Topsy from "one of my teacher friends". In the Morning Post piece about the "feel" of a house, I wondered whether the "charming old lady of my acquaintance" might be one of the Attenboroughs.

Paul Austin's look at expulsion in the school stories is well-written and thought-provoking, while David Chambers' discovery of the 'Sonnet' in the poetry book produced by the Quill Club is fascinating. Sally Varlow's book about illustrator Marjorie Davies (reviewed by Imogen Smallwood) sounds well worth reading, Tony's article about book prizes is packed with information and Terry once again has got right into the character of Bill Smugs in his diary entry.

I wonder exactly which comics Enid Blyton was referring to in her poem 'American Comics (and those like them)'?!

Society Member
Anna Lou
Favourite book/series: F.F.,Barney Mysteries,Adventure,Find-Outers,Malory
Favourite character: Julian, Snubby, Fatty

Post by Anna Lou »

Just wanted to say that I was delighted to open the journal and find Anita's article about The Put-Em-Rights. I read this book for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and was immediately interested to find out what others have to say about this unusual book, so the timing couldn't have been better! While I'm here, I also really enjoyed Anita's article in the previous issue about Secret Seven style clubs. All in all the journal is an excellent read from cover to cover! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Anna! I'm glad my Put-Em-Rights review came at just the right time for you.

I missed both Robert Houghton and David Cook, who have contributed many pieces for the Journal over the years, and I hope we're going to see more articles by them in the future.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I got my journal on Sunday when Dad brought it over to my flat. Looking forward to reading it when all the work calms down.

Quick Question (and a groan from Fiona no doubt :wink: ) But how would/could one go about writing an article for the journal?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I got my journal on Sunday when Dad brought it over to my flat. Looking forward to reading it when all the work calms down.

Quick Question (and a groan from Fiona no doubt :wink: ) But how would/could one go about writing an article for the journal?
*GROAN* ;) You know I will still beta it for you though.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I got my journal on Sunday when Dad brought it over to my flat. Looking forward to reading it when all the work calms down.

*GROAN* ;) You know I will still beta it for you though.
Thats if Tony agrees to even LOOK at my (very probable) drivel... it's probably not even original... :oops: I just thought I'd ask.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/