Journal 46

What did you think of the latest Journal?
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: Journal 46

Post by MJE »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've heard of The Enid Blyton Book & Ephemera Collectors' Society but it hasn't existed for some years. What was their magazine like - a substantial read or more like a newsletter?
     I think more like a newsletter - but there were some articles in the magazines - which are far smaller than the E.B.S. Journal - maybe only 16 pages an issue. So I'd say it's less substantial than either "Green Hedges" or the E.B.S. Journal; but worth having if you come across it. (I fear that recently, now that I'm also looking for obscure things like this, I may have already passed beyond the event horizon of the Enid Blyton Collectors' Black Hole!)

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Michael. Copies of Green Hedges Magazine and the Journal sometimes turn up on eBay (I think there's an Australian equivalent of eBay but I suppose they're less likely to turn up there). Collecting a whole set of either would no doubt take a great deal of time and patience though.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I belonged to The Enid Blyton Book & Ephemera Collectors' Society and somewhere I have some of their Newsletters, but the majority had very little in them, more a vehicle for Richard Walker, who ran the Society, to sell items. It folded about 14 years ago and we then changed our name from The Enid Blyton Literary Society to The Enid Blyton Society. We had always felt that Literary was a bit pretentious, but we weren't able to drop it until we were the only Enid Blyton Society.

Most of their meetings took place up North where Richard Walker lived, but I went to one in Wales after a lengthy drive where I was met by Richard who told me that I was the only one attending the meeting! It was very brief and took place in the street!!

A magazine which I quite liked although it was very simple was the one produced by Darrell Waters. It folded in 1997 when Chorion took over, but I have all 21 copies that were issued.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I belonged to The Enid Blyton Book & Ephemera Collectors' Society [and]
I went to one [of their meetings] in Wales after a lengthy drive where I was met by Richard who told me that I was the only one attending the meeting! It was very brief and took place in the street!!
That's the sort of gathering to arrange! No speakers to book, no caterers to employ, no chairs/tables to arrange... He seems to have cracked it! Did you take any photos, Tony? :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tony Summerfield wrote: but I went to one in Wales after a lengthy drive where I was met by Richard who told me that I was the only one attending the meeting! It was very brief and took place in the street!!
So what happened if you needed the toilet!!! :P

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Trust you to think of that! :roll:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

He had actually hired a room in a pub, but he cancelled that a day or two before. I should have added that it wasn't really a wasted Journey as the street that I mentioned was in Hay on Wye, which at that time had between 20 and 30 secondhand bookshops for me to browse in! In fairness I should also add that I went to another of his meetings which was well attended and I even have a photo of that as it was at Old Thatch. Jacky and David Hawthorne had just bought it and it looked very different then.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting that Darrell Waters Ltd. produced a magazine for a while, Tony.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I just want to thank various people for very kind PMs about the fact that Tony has published some of what I've written to the forums and to the Yahoo group.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Interesting that Darrell Waters Ltd. produced a magazine for a while, Tony.
I have the following copies of the Enid Blyton Newsletter:

No 17 (February 1996)
No 18 (June 1996)
No 19 (October 1996)
No 20 (February 1997)
No 21 (August 1997)

No 21 is a Centenary Edition. Were their any issues after this one? Does anyone have any earlier editions, i.e. Nos 1 - 16? Maybe you have a complete set, Tony.

I have a complete set of Michael Rouse's Green Hedges Magazine (41 issues : January 1992 to Summer 2002). :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Yes, I do have a complete set, Eddie, from No. 1. The last two were done by Chorion and Gillian was very cross about it as they simply used it as a vehicle for advertising the various products that were on the market.

I don't have a full set of Green Hedges and I am not sure why not as I was a fully paid up member until the end, obviously Michael Rouse just didn't send them to me.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Eddie Muir wrote:I have the following copies of the Enid Blyton Newsletter:

No 17 (February 1996)
No 18 (June 1996)
No 19 (October 1996)
No 20 (February 1997)
No 21 (August 1997)
     I'm getting a bit confused now about the different publications. Is the Enid Blyton Newsletter the Darrell Waters one just mentioned?; or are you referring to the current publication, the Enid Blyton Society Journal (even though its name is a bit different)? Or yet a separate publication from either of these?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The Enid Blyton Newsletter is the one produced by Darrell Waters Ltd.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Another splendid Journal - thanks to all contributors and of course Tony, for putting it all together and posting them!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Tony Summerfield wrote: A magazine which I quite liked although it was very simple was the one produced by Darrell Waters. It folded in 1997 when Chorion took over, but I have all 21 copies that were issued.
It does look very lovely. Good to see 'my' Kiki on Jack's shoulder! :)

Society Member