Journal 41

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Journal 41

Post by Ming »

Look at it logically. If you don't have a spoiler, or something revealed, you get a surprise. When you have a spoiler, you can judge whether it met your expectations.

And the Journal always met my expectations. (Loving Journal 40, by the way. The Boy Who Changed His Name was a bit of a shock, though).

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Kiki's new mam wrote:i have not yet looked at the journal cover because i did last time and i thought now i know what it looks like, i wish i had not looked at it so it would be a surprise...
I too like to get my first look of the cover when I take it out of the envelope, Leila! It would also spoil my enjoyment of the Journal to read its contents before receiving it as well. This leads me to another gripe, don't you simply hate all of those "Coming up" spoilers on every television programme you watch now?
Just to hijack the thread a moment, yes, I hate those 'coming up' spoilers on TV. Usually they pop up just at the most dramatic cliff-hanging point of a series or programme, and force you to 'come out of the drama' at just the wrong time. :evil: I hate them! :x

I also hate when the crdits get squeezed up at the side in order to advertise the next programme, so you can't read the credits properly grrrr! (think It's just that I'm heading towards 40? :wink: )
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't like 'coming ups' that intrude on a show either, or when credits are squashed/covered up. Worst offenders are shows that crush the credits into a two inch square so as you'd need a thirty foot TV to have a chance of reading them. The opening titles and credits are part of the programme and should be shown in their entirety. What I also hate (No idea how this relates to journal 40 mind) is shows that have such a long opening scene that they then show the titles then the ad break, but if you ask me theres just too many adverts on TV now.
Robert Houghton wrote:(think It's just that I'm heading towards 40? :wink: )
And I'm only heading towards 25 myself....... god knows what I'll be like when I'm nearing 40
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Don't get me started on adverts............ :evil:
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:Don't get me started on adverts............ :evil:
What, like how they are so much louder than the programme? Or when they are clearly dubbed into english? Or how they shout BANG AND THE DIRT IS GONE sometimes?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

@ Moonraker, Robert Houghton and Fiona1986
I couldn't agree with you more! And the "Coming up" spoilers only show the very best parts of the film or whatever it is and when you watch it afterwards it's not worth watching at all (there are exceptions of course) :roll:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

The coming ups always look great, until you watch the show and they were the only good bits!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

One of our favourite programmes is Heir Hunters - this is also one of the most irritating. How many times are we told of ree-searchers doing their ree-search? Each programme spends up to 10 minutes going over the same ground. We get "Coming up...", as you say, giving the best bits away. We then go to a different story, then back to the first, but of course, we have to have a resumé of what we've already seen, in case we have forgotten. In some cases we see the same section five times.

Maybe we should start a Grumpy Old Gits thread as we seem to have railroaded this one!
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I reeeeeaally hate when programmes do that. Here's whats coming up. Here it is. Here's whats coming up after the break. Here's what you saw before the break. Do they think we are so stupid we cant remember whats just happened? Or do they anticipate a large proportion of their audience tune in after the first ad break??

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Another extremely irritating culprit is the otherwise excellent Come Dine With Me. Each new episode (there are usually five episodes, one each weekday) goes back over that past ones. By the last episode, you have to go through what happened on the previous four. Nightmare.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I watch Come Dine With Me, somtimes, I really just enjoy the sarky comments made by the narrator.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

First they repeat the most important bits of the previous episodes as you said Moonraker, then the new episode runs for about five minutes and then they already show adverts for about seven minutes!

One thing that annoys me very much is that they often show adverts almost at the end of an episode and I keep watching because I think the episode will continue after the adverts but no, the episode has already ended before the adverts and they only show the credits! :evil:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Don't get me started on adverts............ :evil:
What, like how they are so much louder than the programme?
Gosh yes, that is so annoying :x and can even be a touch embarrassing at times. A few years ago there was a sanitary towel advert which seemed to come up after every single programme. We'd be watching a show with the sound at a reasonable level and then it'd be time for the adverts and some woman would literally scream out, "WHOAH, BODYFORM! Bodyform for you!"
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think we should start a 'Grumpy old Gits' thread as Nigel suggested. I think it would probably be the most popular thread on the forums as everyone will have something to grumble about. I've got heaps and heaps!!

(We'd be watching a show with the sound at a reasonable level and then it'd be time for the adverts and some woman would literally scream out, "WHOAH, BODYFORM! Bodyform for you!") :lol: :lol:

Glad I don't have to go down that road anymore. Trouble is now I'm at that older age the adverts think that all women my age need to use Tena Lady :evil:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Trouble is now I'm at that older age the adverts think that all women my age need to use Tena Lady :evil:
I saw an advert for that just last night. It showed woman after woman grinning broadly because her Tena panties were oh-so-discreet! :)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member