Journal 41

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal 41

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Finished reading Journal 41 now and as usual everything inside was well worth reading. Even the 'letters' page, and the one from Mrs. I.C. Newton.

I've also read again Anita's article in Journal 40, to see exactly what this lady is going on about!

I think maybe, that she was just a little annoyed that her favourite author's Famous Five books, had been put into this updated magazine, (of that time )and the stories altered somewhat, which is what Anita was explaining. And as I've never seen or read any of these magazines, I was interested in reading about them and the way the stories had been used and altered to fit into the 1980's. I too like Enid Blyton's books to stay the way they are, and preferably word for word as the author wrote them many years ago. And I think this is the point that Mrs. Newton was maybe trying to convey. I don't think she was getting at Anita personally, but just saying that she didn't agree that these magazines were worth mentioning. But we all have to move with the times, whether we like it or not. And lots of Enid's books are being updated and changed in a way a lot of us don't like. I guess we have to think that it's a great tribute to Enid that her books are still around and loved and publishers are wanting to make them as appealing to the youngsters of today as they were for us. Also, I think we're in a world now that a lot of people just love to complain, wanting their opinion to be heard. If people took the trouble to write about how delighted and pleased they were about such things as the Society Journal, then Tony would be overwhelmed with letters that he'd never get the time to open.

The Society Journal for me is excellent value for money and I would still contribute if the funds were to go up. I was working out, that my own run art group pays £10 three times in the year, making it £30 to be a member. And I don't issue out a journal of any kind. Just teas/coffees and biscuits.

Well done everyone for once again making the journal an excellent read. :D
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I agree with everything Julie has said. I haven't had time to look up the article in question in the last journal, but I don't remember being either dreadfully offended or annoyed about it! Each to his/her own after all. The journal is always a jolly good read and great value especially when you compare it's price and size with others. Thank you again Tony.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We really shouldn't get wound-up when someone dares to offer an alternative opinion! I found the letters pages very entertaining. The letter mentioned does, however, show Tony's extreme talent in keeping well under the radar. What is harder to understand though is how Norman manages to fly over the radar when he has nothing to do with the Journal, but gets the credit! Seriously though (I was being a bit t-i-c!), all credit to TS for publishing anti-comments considering the work he puts in to see that we get the Journal on a regular basis.

Maybe our friend, Mrs Newton, could expand further on her views at the forthcoming Society Day?

[Off now to read the Followers of Rupert]
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I think maybe, that she [Mrs. I. C. Newton] was just a little annoyed that her favourite author's Famous Five books, had been put into this updated magazine, (of that time) and the stories altered somewhat...I too like Enid Blyton's books to stay the way they are, and preferably word for word as the author wrote them many years ago. And I think this is the point that Mrs. Newton was maybe trying to convey. I don't think she was getting at Anita personally, but just saying that she didn't agree that these magazines were worth mentioning.
Yes, I think Mrs. I. C. Newton might not have taken such exception to my article if I'd totally savaged the magazines, rather than showing my amusement at some of the plot changes and admitting that I liked certain aspects such as John Ridgway's artwork!

Fred Clampitt's "It Began with Saucy Jane" definitely didn't disappoint. I love the sound of that drawer in the lounge at Green Hedges, "filled to the brim with all varieties of sweets and chocolates," and I'm glad Fred's Blyton books helped him through his illnesses. The extracts from the letters were fascinating, with Enid Blyton talking about Gillian and Imogen going skiing in Switzerland and about how busy she was with Enid Blyton's Magazine and the Noddy in Toyland pantomime. I like Blyton's comment in Sunny Stories that Fred Clampitt "says he has 190 of my books, not counting Sunny Stories. Well, Fred, I don't think that anyone will ever break your record!" Enid couldn't have foreseen the advent of cheap paperback editions and the interest that adult collectors would take in her books, which means there are probably quite a few fans these days who could beat the record set by Fred!

I enjoyed David Chambers' discussion of Enid Blyton aka Audrey St. Lo. How interesting that Enid wrote a poem to mark the death of Peter Pan creator, J. M. Barrie, in 1937. The poetry extracts quoted make me think, not for the first time, that some of Blyton's poems are rather like A. A. Milne's. "I've got a penny,/A brand new penny," reminds me of Milne's "I had a penny,/A bright new penny," and "Jeremy, Joshua, Jameson, James" makes me think of "James James/Morrison Morrison".

Will comment on some of the other articles when I have more time. Cheers, Tony, for another great Journal!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

The new Journal looks great! It arrived yesterday, thank you, Tony!
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
tix

Post by tix »

I received my copy of EBSJ on March 5th thanks to the brilliant postal service and now I’m slowly working my way through it. The “Saucy Jane” piece is interesting and very timely. I have a copy of the related “Sunny Stories” and when I first read it, the boy Clampitt would have been looked upon as just one of those lucky few who are personally mentioned by the Founder/Editor/Writer. No thought at all would have been given to the fact that almost sixty years later, the name would spring up again inside a glossy, fact-filled periodical devoted entirely to Enid Blyton herself. The beauty of the EBS Magazine is well displayed when anecdotes such as the above emerge because where else would we learn about them if the conduit didn’t exist? On the Society website perhaps, but there are many Blytonites who aren’t wired up yet.

The mention of “Enid Boyten” rang a gong because in August last year I sold copies of “The Schoolgirls’ Own Library” to a buyer who knew pretty well everything there was to know about these publications. “The Secret of the 13th Clown” and “Leader of the Alpine Revellers” were by Enid Boyten. I suggested to the lady concerned that the author may have been cashing in on the Blyton name and who from the Blyton World wouldn’t think that? Her explanation coincides with that of Forumite – “Kate Mary.”

“No. 80 The Secret Of The 13th Clown is by Enid Boyten, a pen-name of Horace Boyten, who also wrote under the name of Helen Crawford. The famous children’s author, Enid Blyton, has nothing to do with this story or any in the Schoolgirls’ Own Library series.”

OK, but we’re still “suspicious” (the ‘cashing in’ I mean) but then again, as Kate Mary suggests, it may have been done “in a spirit of mischief.”

I remember seeing Amelia Jane and Mr. Pink-Whistle on the “Letters” page and now Noddy is feverishly writing away and I wonder if it’s the same letter he was composing in Spring of 2004! I haven’t yet seen a copy of “The Followers of Rupert” Magazine but it sounds interesting. Personally I like everything that’s printed in EBSJ – long and short, because it all adds to the variety and as it’s the only periodical that deals exclusively with Blyton stuff, everything has to be included because the readership is made up of people with diverse interests where the author is concerned. I think someone who is dotty on the Famous Five books would heartily welcome a lengthy article about the characters and the plots and the same goes for the Find-Outers and others in the collection. Lengthy articles have “meat” in them. There’s something for everyone in the Journal and could there be a more appropriate example than the latest issue? For those whose interest wanes after working their way through a page or two, there are short items such as the Enid Blyton letters and Mr. Clampitt’s contribution. There are also the colourful pictures from the archives and the one-page Editorial is another shortie. I always read that first.

Taking in mind again the “Variety” and “Something for Everyone” aspect, I very much appreciated the piece in EBSJ#40 (Enid Blyton’s Adventure magazine) by Anita Bensoussane. I don’t know much about the later Blyton books and spin-offs so the article supplied me with the relevant information because all the issues are listed and the changes in life and times is reflected in the alterations to the original manuscripts. We make our comparisons and mentally run over what we already know from past references and can then enjoy savouring our personal opinions. A follower of Biggles or Peter Rabbit may not go down that particular path but they can’t be expected to because it’s the true Blyton buffs who are into that. For many years, Anita Bensoussane has been supplying us with writings of pith and insight and when she sometimes compares Blyton incidents to those found in other stories such as “Alice in Wonderland” it adds to the overall picture and creates further trails for Enid Blyton fans to explore. An example is when she described how Peter (Wishing Chair) entered a shop in which he saw a large old sheep doing some knitting. Alice experienced that too.

As far as changed words go, I think the copyright owners want to make the stories appeal to the modern generation so they alter the expressions somewhat. I still say “Golly!” when I’m amazed but I don’t think younger people do these days and the same goes for words like “Topping” and “Smashing.” There’s been many a complaint about the modernizing of the Blyton books and the Forum pages contain plenty of examples. There’s a solution though. Just as the sticklers for authenticity will turn to Hebrew or Greek versions of the Bible, so too can we turn to the older Blytons which are available from various outlets - but snap to it whilst the supplies are still around. In my case when I wanted to read the older copies of “Rupert” I ended up paying out quite a lot of money. A 1945 copy cost me over £70 but that should not be the case with the popular Blyton stories of old because there are plenty around.

When a discussion on the new “Famous Five” covers sprang up on the Forum I wanted to see them but I wasn’t sure how to find the pictures. I was fairly sure they were in the Aladdin’s Cave that we have at our disposal but initially I didn’t think of clicking on an original book cover to get at the concealed array because I keep forgetting about things like that. Now, if the new editions hadn’t been mentioned I might never have known they existed and therefore wouldn’t have searched them out. Some of us need help so articles such as those written about the newer versions of Blyton books, all play their part.

I haven’t seen the “Enid” movie yet. I’m hoping it may be posted on YouTube sometime but the comments are fairly consistent. When a famous person passes away, the films made about them like to focus on the negative aspects because I think more loot comes in if there’s a touch or two of scandal. However, the negative is eventually pushed aside by the positive because the movie fades away after a few months in the limelight. The millions of happy fans will continue enjoying the books, and the people who watched the production and who are usually fans anyway, will forget any nasty bits and go back to enjoying their Blyton world. Enid Blyton herself won’t be affected by any unseemly portrayals either because she’s not here anymore.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Ming wrote:All this talk has seriously made me wait for Journal 41. Can I write a reply to Mrs Icy or will that be too inflammatory a move? (No joke)
   I don't think that's necessary. She just says that she disagrees with Anita’s views on the 1980 magazines. She is obviously a purist who doesn’t like these “modern day” spin offs. She uses words like ‘disgusting’ and ‘pathetic’ but they are aimed at the magazines, not the Journal.

The followers of Rupert have a nice article linking Rupert to Marc Bolan of T. Rex fame. Maybe someone could come up with a similar article using, say, Tubby Bear, to make the Journal more "easy and interesting".

But enough of that, I have a Journal to read! :)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lenoir wrote:The followers of Rupert have a nice article linking Rupert to Marc Bolan of T. Rex fame.
Many thanks for this link, Lenoir. :D My brother, Duncan is a big Marc Bolan/T. Rex fan and he will enjoy reading this article!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I've now read most of the journal and what a great read it was as usual. Julie's article on The Treasure Hunters was very well written. Her love for the book really shone through. Unfortunately this is a book which somehow escaped me in childhood, I read it for the first time only a couple of years ago as an adult. I did enjoy it but wonder what perspective I would have had if it had also been a childhood favourite.

Thats a similar dilemna to Robert Houghton's in the latest installment of his excellent Mary Pollock series. He says he read Three Boys and a Circus only as an adult. I could empathise with that feeling. Nonetheless yet another very compelling and readable article from Rob. This is one of two Pollock books that I have not yet read, I will crack on with trying to find a copy.

Fred Clampitt's article was fascinating. I found myself wishing that Enid had been alive when I was a child reading her books so that I could have written to her and maybe got a reply. It was heartwarming to read of how he recovered from illness with the aid of her books. The picture of Enid Blyton he shows is also markedly different from the portrayal in the biopic "Enid". Incidentally does anyone know why he is now auctioning his treasured collection?

Anita's article was brilliant as always though The Naughtiest Girl is not a favourite of mine. Nevertheless the wide variety of subjects is one of The Journal's great strengths alongside the quality of the writing and editing. I particularly enjoyed Terry Gustafsson's article on collecting though I could'nt agree with his assertion that if we make a big loss we shouldn't worry; after all we might have got a speeding ticket. :lol: If I sold a book to someone for a pittance and they went on to sell it for a fortune I would be hopping mad. :wink:

I still have two articles to read and want to have another perusal of that lovely Faraway Tree card game on the back cover so my Journal will be providing another nights entertainment yet. What excellent value it is for the almost meagre price we pay. I shall subscribe for as long as it exists. Many thanks Tony for another sterling effort. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Many thanks for journal, shall read with all the more interest having seen others' comments! Certainly looks to be plenty of contributions--"be careful what you wish for "Tony! Grateful for all :) Liz.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Lucky Star wrote:The picture of Enid Blyton he (Fred Clampitt) shows is also markedly different from the portrayal in the biopic "Enid".
I am not sure that I agree with this, John, I thought that the film did show that on the (infrequent) occasions when children (her fans) visited, the red carpet was rolled out. Incidentally I asked Imogen if she was aware of the 'sweetie cabinet' and she said that she wasn't! Any sweets that she and Gillian had were kept upstairs in the nursery.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:The picture of Enid Blyton he (Fred Clampitt) shows is also markedly different from the portrayal in the biopic "Enid".
I am not sure that I agree with this, John, I thought that the film did show that on the (infrequent) occasions when children (her fans) visited, the red carpet was rolled out.

I meant the image which comes across in the letters that she wrote to Fred. Such as where she wrote "How I wish I could..........wave a magic wand to make young Fred strong and well". What was the relationship between them? Was Freds Mum a friend of Enid? Because it seems to me very thoughtful that such a busy authoress should take time out to write to a sick fan. Of course I suppose the film did portray her as being only cold towards her own children. A pity they couldn't have inserted a scene such as Fred receiving his friendly letters from Enid into the film.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

The film did show a scene where Enid is writing a reply to a letter where the child wishes she was his mother - Enid wrote back telling all the adventures she would have had with him! That was a nice letter, I thought. :)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

No, Fred's mum wasn't a friend of Enid's, but I think she did keep up a fairly regular correspondence with a number of people. Trevor Bolton is a good example. He first contacted her as a child and had regular replies to all his letters from then onwards.

As a result of the publicity around the time of the film and also the BBC archives, I was contacted by someone who said that Enid not appearing on the BBC until the 1960s was absolute rubbish, as her father had a regular radio programme and as a child she went into the BBC to interview Enid Blyton on her father's radio show in 1951. Her father was Frank Tilsley whose promising career was sadly cut short when he committed suicide in 1957. One of his novels, Mutiny, was turned into a classic film, H.M.S. Defiant. She has vivid memories of the interview and also being driven away with Enid in a Rolls Royce afterwards. She has promised an article for the Journal and I have sent her a copy of No. 41 so that she could have a look at Fred Clampitt's article. Hopefully the article will be in No. 42 for those who wish to resubscribe! :lol:
Tony Summerfield

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Kate Mary wrote:I have just read Fred Clampitt's article 'It began with Saucy Jane', it is sad to think of the fate of those "author's copies richly bound in leather and tooled in gold"...
In an interview for Hello!, November 2nd 1996, Gillian Baverstock spoke of having inherited her mother's "beautiful mahogany bookcase...That's where I keep her leather-bound copies." I think some of the leather-bound copies can be seen in a photo of bookcase accompanying the magazine article, though I can't make out the titles. I don't know whether the books have remained in the family since Gillian died.
Kate Mary wrote:...and I wonder what became of the artist's original illustrations for dust-jackets framed on the walls?
I went to see Gillian at her home in Yorkshire and saw her mother's bookcase. The only Enid Blyton books in it were the leather bound Famous Five books that Hodder & Stoughton gave to Enid as a Christmas present each year - but I don't think that there was a full set of 21 books. Also in the bookcase was a set of Newnes Pictorial Knowledge, which I particularly noted as they had a green binding as opposed to the usual brown one from the other early editions that I have seen.

I only noticed two bits of framed artwork - the Treyer Evans 'Christmas Book' cover and Joseph Abbey's picture of Goon. She had a large garden and I saw the famous statue there. Shortly after my visit Gillian moved to a smaller house and I am not sure that the statue moved with her.

In an earlier visit to Darrell Waters I saw two bits of framed artwork on their wall. One was the front cover of the dustwrapper of 'Child Whispers' by Phyllis Chase and the other was a picture of Binkle and Flip by Kathleen Nixon.