Journal 41

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal 41

Post by Moonraker »

It's enough to make you wet yourself. :roll:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Tena Lady adverts were obviously far too discreet when I was at primary school as my sister firmly believed that tena ladys were sanitary towels. I had to explain the difference between the two products to her one lunch time.
Last edited by Fiona1986 on 23 Feb 2010, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That advert where a crowd of women are all discussing having wind is another prize advert! :lol:

DO women sit around a table having coffee and discussing wind??!!

...I thought it was just men that did that!! :shock:

:lol: :lol:

By the way...this IS still the 'Journal 41' thread isnt it? :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Not as a rule, no. At least I don't. We don't talk about constipation that often either (at least not in a cafe), incase another advert mislead you. (It was hard and really uncomfortable again she says..... UGH).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Just saw an advert I hate for Munch Bunch. They advertise that one portion contains as much calcium as a glass of milk. Wow, you say, until you read the writing at the bottom of the screen which reads 'one portion=2 pots=100mls of milk. So you'd be quicker and cheaper having your child drink a tiny amount of milk than them eating two yoghurts.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote:Not as a rule, no. At least I don't. We don't talk about constipation that often either (at least not in a cafe), incase another advert mislead you. (It was hard and really uncomfortable again she says..... UGH).
Yes: I think I got two adverts mixed up: but either way, UGH! as you say!

Adverts just seem to be getting more and more obvious! :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I can't wait to receive my copy.I was so happy when I see this thread and thought that the journal was already out but all of you are talking about advert and all. :shock:

I think all the posts are considered adverts before the meaty discussions about the journal take place. :D
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

adverts

Post by Kiki's new mam »

some adverts are rather nice (at least to me :roll: ) there was one advert with a bird going in to a nomal looking bird house, at when you saw the inside, it was like a proper house! that was one of my favourites :D

by the way, this thread now seems like good and bad adverts! :wink:

Leila.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anyway, to get this post back on topic, my Journal 41 arrived today: packed with delicious goodies as always.

I havent read much of it yet, but turned straight to the letters page to read what people thought of the last Journal. Judging by some of the comments I was glad I didnt contribute to Journal 40!!! Poor Anita, and poor Tony: they certainly came in for some stick! :shock:

Interesting to see a letter about my story 'The Disappearing Tramp', though, from a reader of the Journal who thought she had a title in the series missing. Hopefully a few more will think the same and then someone might offer to publish it!

I'll be back to report when I've read the Journal properly. Just hope my article wasnt too long... :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Robert Houghton wrote:I haven't read much of it yet, but turned straight to the letters page to read what people thought of the last Journal. Judging by some of the comments I was glad I didn't contribute to Journal 40!!! Poor Anita, and poor Tony: they certainly came in for some stick! :shock:
You were obviously greatly missed by the readership, Robert! At least one of the letter-writers did have a word of praise - for the cover! :roll: And Tony's replies with their note of sarcasm made for entertaining reading! :) Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazine isn't particularly well-known so it's not surprising that some readers didn't like my article about it, but overall the Journal is wonderfully varied and I think it's nice to have a bit of everything Blyton-related, ancient and modern (though with more weight given to the "ancient"). Hmm, that Followers of Rupert magazine that one correspondent recommended - didn't someone once mention that on here and say that the subscription cost over £20.00 per annum or thereabouts?!

Edit: Just checked online and found that Followers of Rupert costs £25.00 per annum for UK subscribers. That's for four magazines a year, but it still works out at considerably more than the EB Society Journal.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Received my copy of the journal today. Thanks, Tony. I've only read the one article as yet. I'll read the rest this evening. The article I read was by Fred Clampett, It Began with Saucy Jane. What a lovely article, it actually sent shivers down my spine when I read of how as a child he visited Enid Blyton's home, and was met at the door by Laddie. How marvelous. And what a wonderful memory of this day to treasure for always. The library of the author's copy of richly bound books in leather and tooled in gold, must have been an amazing sight. I wonder if they're all still in tact? I think I read somewhere that a lot were destroyed. :(

Looking forward to reading the rest later.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Just opened mine too and briefly flicked through it. It looks superb as usual. Well done Tony. :D

The letter from Jean Singleton really annoyed me. :evil: She grizzled about the negativity of the ENID film and then continued to write just about the most negative 'review :roll: ' that i've ever read. Enjoyed the cover though. (Thats not patronising at all is it). Grrrrrrrrrrr :roll: !!!!!!

I wonder if she was responsible for the infamous 'comment in the car park' of yesteryear.

(Deep breath). I won't let it spoil the Journal for me. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

Robert Houghton wrote:I havent read much of it yet, but turned straight to the letters page to read what people thought of the last Journal. Judging by some of the comments I was glad I didnt contribute to Journal 40!!! Poor Anita, and poor Tony: they certainly came in for some stick! :shock:
Apologies for being really dense, but there's a letters page? I know that I've not been a member of the society for that long, but I must have missed it when I've read all my journals. It's a shame that people weren't very complementary this time, though. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked everything, but there's no need for them to just talk about they didn't like, and if they hated everything, why are they members?

I look forward to April, when I get to read my copy! :D
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Great journal so far, it got me out of doing the ironing as well! :lol:

Really enjoyed the article by Terry Gustafson, I love reading about the exploits of trying to obtain EB books and I think it may have been me that was bidding against him to obtain Real Fairies. :twisted:

Also I loved Tony's replies to the letters. Looking forward to a few minutes to myself so that I can finish it.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have just arrived home from a trip to IKEA in Croydon (!) with Chick and, to my delight, Journal 41 was awaiting me when I got in. :D Many thanks, Tony. It looks great and I shall enjoy reading it later this evening. I shall be putting a cheque for my subscription renewal in today's post.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member