Journal 39

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Katharine

Re: Journal 39

Post by Katharine »

I found the 1925 Gaumont Graphic clip - fascinating to think that 98 years ago Enid Blyton watched it as being recent history, and a technological marvel. Now it's a very dated, grainy, low quality, but fascinating glimpse of life a century or more ago. A sobering thought to think that there's probably no one alive now who would have seen that in the cinemas, or if they did, would probably have been too young to remember they saw it.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A few more thoughts as I work my way through the Journal.

I thoroughly enjoyed John Lester's look at Five on Kirrin Island Again. It's was one of the first FF books I read, as I read my mother's copy. I'd always liked the book, but reading this article made me appreciate just what a good book it is - time for a re-read I think. :)

I found William Ferguson's article about using Five Get Into Trouble as an aid to teaching English extremely interesting - I'm sure Enid would have been delighted to know her books were so useful, as well as enjoyable, and what an excellent teacher William must be to be able to adapt the audio recording to fit so many aspects of education - such a shame he didn't get to visit the gold mine though.

Next up was a 'From My Window' - it was lovely to read Enid's descriptions of Kent, although I couldn't help wondering just how much of the beautiful scenery she described is still there. I seem to recall that Enid and Hugh moved from Beckenham because it was getting too built up, and that was almost a century ago!

Next up - David Cook's look at The Mystery of the Strange Bundle. Personally I've never rated that book very highly, and although David gave a good review, I'm afraid nothing he said altered my opinion of it. However, even he concluded that this book is one of the 'less satisfying' ones in the series, so maybe I'm not being too harsh about it.

Next followed several pages relating to Grace Lodge - how fortune the Society is that we have access to so many snippets of information such as excerpt from "South Dorset Notes" about Grace . It was lovely to read Derek Shelton's article about his mother and to see photos of her. Excellent though Enid's many books are in their own right, I often feel that many of the illustrators help enhance her writing. I didn't realise that Grace was also an author herself - I shall keep an eye out for her books. It was interesting to read that she couldn't follow her ambition of being an architect as it wasn't a 'suitable occupation' in those days. All I can say is, that architecture's loss was our gain, and thank goodness she used her obvious talent in illustrating instead.

The colour plates in the middle pages were a lovely - showing Grace's varied talent. Although familiar with her name, I didn't feel I would easily recognise any of her illustrations - the list of the Enid Blyton books that she illustrated explained why. I think Holiday House was the only book that I read as a child which she illustrated, the others I've only read/acquired as an adult.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 10:18The first article by David Chambers was extremely interesting - I'm always impressed by the amount of research he must do for all his articles. As much as I love Enid's stories - both long and short, I wish more was available of her teaching work too. Many people would love to own a first edition of one of her major titles - if I could have a wish, it would be to own an entire set of all her Teacher's World publications. Yes, I know there is a lot in The Cave, for which I'm very grateful, but nothing quite beats holding a the real thing, and being able to turn a page rather than just wriggle a mouse. ;)

It was interesting to read that some of Enid's articles were reprinted elsewhere, and others reworked at other times, but sad to see that many never reappeared. I'd especially love to see Enid's own illustrations from the early works. I thought the list of historical figures Enid wrote about was very interesting - I haven't heard of several of them. I'd especially love to read the one about William Caxton - I wonder who modern children learn about nowadays?
Tony brought out two Society booklets containing Enid Blyton's Life Stories From History, taken from Teachers World 1935-36. I enjoyed them as Enid's accounts of the lives of figures from history are full of colourful little details. I've always been particularly interested in Osburga and her son Alfred ("Alfred the Great") because they understood the importance of reading and writing, with Alfred being keen to make written works accessible to as many people as possible.

Katharine wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 14:49I found the 1925 Gaumont Graphic clip - fascinating to think that 98 years ago Enid Blyton watched it as being recent history, and a technological marvel. Now it's a very dated, grainy, low quality, but fascinating glimpse of life a century or more ago. A sobering thought to think that there's probably no one alive now who would have seen that in the cinemas, or if they did, would probably have been too young to remember they saw it.
I've just watched the clip via the link below. The story of the American airship breaking in half during a storm over Ohio is fascinating, especially the news that a portion of the airship was found ten miles away with men in it, still alive.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/169836/
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita, thanks for the reminder about the two Society booklets - I can't remember if I purchased those or not - I must sort my shelves out! I hope I do have them, as I'd love to be able to read the stories they contain.

Yes, I thought the story about the airship was amazing - so much history out there that most of us are probably unaware of.

I've now finished Journal 39 and what a great mix of articles it was. The reviews of the books are always interesting and/or informative, but I also enjoy those related to other aspects of Enid's life, such as learning more about Grace Lodge and Barbara Stoney.

The next page in the article was a reproduction of an advert for 'The Play's the Thing', a book I'm lucky enough to have a copy of. I wonder how many schools did actually use any of those plays? Once again it's a strange reflection of the times to know that Enid Blyton's work were once advertised as being useful in schools rather than being viewed as 'inferior' many decades later.

I really enjoyed Robert Houghton's look at the Mary Pollock books, starting with The Children of Kidillin. It's not a book I've ever read, (under either name), and I'm not even sure I have a copy. If I have, it would be a newer 'Enid Blyton' version. I must admit, that I'd always assumed they were written later in Enid's career, so was interested to learn that it was actually published before many of her main series hit the shelves. Hopefully I will find I have a copy tucked away somewhere. :)

Of course I enjoyed Anita's continuing look at Mr. Pink-Whistle. I was interested to read that her daughter didn't particularly like him though. I wonder if it is a generation thing? I grew up accepting that children would be punished with slaps etc., so never questioned his motive for such behaviour. I do however think the stories were a good mixture of punishing some people and rewarding others, and like Anita, I always enjoyed the way Enid seemed to speak directly to the reader at times.

I thought some of the modern alterations very peculiar - for example, what was wrong with 'shorts'? And changing seed-cake to a sponge, personally I've never seen a seed-cake, let alone eaten it, but it never caused me a problem to read about one. Also odd the name changes - I personally don't know of anyone under the age of about 70 called Jean, so why did it replace Joan?

I was plesed to see the answers to the Famous Five Picture Quiz - I think I got 3 correct!

There are only 6 for the Illustrator Picture Quiz, but again I think I only recognise 3 of those! Sorry to all those illustrators for their hard work, which I don't recognise. :(

I was saddened to read about the passing of Barbara Stoney - she sounds like a really lovely lady, and I was sorry I never made it to any of the Enid Blyton Days were she was present. It's a while I read her biography of Enid Blyton, but from what I remember of it, it was a fair, well-rounded, book about Enid.

Terry Gustafson's article about Humour and Fun in Enid's stories really got me thinking. To be honest, I can only remember to odd occasion where I found humour in her books, although most of them had plenty of light moments. Maybe I've forgotten my childhood impressions of the books, but reading them as an adult, I generally enjoy them for the adventures or general human interactions. It's well documented on the forums that I strongly dislike all the Brer Rabbit stories and don't find those funny at all - just goes to show how differently people view things.

I also don't enjoy the 'funny' side of the FFO books, and feel that the children's constant baiting of Goon is spiteful. Even many of the tricks in the school stories are only 'ok' - maybe it's because I was often the butt of jokes at school, so don't really enjoy reading about other people being humiliated.

I shall however keep Terry's observations in mind with future readings of Enid's books and try and keep a more open mind to any possible humour within them.

The Journal ended with advertising a screen showing of Five Have a Mystery to Solve - I hope it was well attended. It must have been a great experience to see it on the big screen after so many year. I have a DVD of it somewhere - something else I must hunt out and revisit.

Finally it was great to see yet another Birn Brothers book turning up - tho character shaped books must have been a lovely present for young children - I wonder how many have survived, given that they are close to 100 years old now.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A few of us went to the screening of Five Have a Mystery to Solve at the BFI in August 2009. I remember chatting to Tony, John (Lucky Star), Viv, Zoe (George@Kirrin) and her brother Guy, Rob (Viking Star) and several others, including Imogen Smallwood, Norman Wright, Sue Bell and William Ferguson. I think Kate Mary was there too, but I missed seeing her (though we have seen each other at Enid Blyton Days). People wrote about the meet-up in this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=57598#p57598
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow 14 years ago. I remember that day very well. It was very exciting as we believed at that time that it was to be probably the only opportunity there would ever be to see this rarity. Of course it appeared on DVD about a year later.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita - thanks for the link to the discussion, it's nice to know that several members of the Society managed to see it.

John, who knows, maybe the good turnout prompted the release of the DVD?

Although I seem to remember I wasn't that impressed with that particular adaptation, I'm still very grateful that I've had the opportunity to own a copy of it. :)
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Wayne Pyer wrote: 26 Jul 2009, 14:59 I discovered this society many years ago while flicking through teletext on one of the old cable tv channels. (i think it was the forerunner of UK GOLD).

I immediately joined, of course, and was informed by Tony that i was the only to join by that route. (up till then anyway).

It was a while later that i discovered this site, and i'm delighted that i did.

Wayne.
Hello again Wayne!

I did not know you could get to the Society via teletext - that completely passed me by!
Like you I lurked for a good while. A bit afraid of all the very knowledgeable people here.
I subscribed to Michael Rouse's magazine around 1999/2000 then eventually found my permanent home here.

I believe we are both the same age - where on earth have all those decades gone!!!
Regards
Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member