Pondering about P.C Theophilus Goon

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Re: Pondering about P.C Theophilus Goon

Post by Yak »

Haha now I am thinking about Goon fathering children too :D :D
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Moonraker wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 14:10 This has been a most interesting thread, thanks to Pete for conceiving the idea. One thing is for certain, incompetent, cruel or whatever, Goon is an essential character in this series.
Agreed, it would be far less gripping without him (and Ern)!
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

In defence of Goon, I was thinking: "Would I like a pack of children (or adults for that matter) to interfere in my work, or try and do it better than I could do it myself? And then to occasionally throw in some red herrings that had me spending time on non productive tasks (akin to following up false clues)".
The answer is a resounding: No, I wouldn't!

Little wonder he likes to find a cosy kitchen and indulge in some comfort food from the friendly cook, or go to the nearest pub when off duty!
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Good point, Lenoir. :lol:

Although Goon sounds like he's just as bumptious and bad tempered from the very start of the first book, before the Find-Outers had been formed and he'd ever really encountered Fatty and all his tricks. So I think it's more that they behave the way they do with Goon because of Goon's nature, rather than Goon becoming like that because of the children.
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I think we see what could have been a positive relationship between the FFO and Goon when his replacement Tonks is there in "Invisible Thief". We see them trying to work together and Tonks treating them with respect and them coming to Tonks with what they have too.

However if could be argued that the FFO are treating Tonks like that partially to get at Goon, because they know it will annoy him, and that Tonks may be keen to befriend them because he knows they are friendly with CI Jenks, so it's not going to do his hopes of promotion any harm!

But without the antagonism between the FFO and Goon, a lot would be lost in both the fun of the series, and the FFOers solving it on their own.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It's definitely established right from his first appearance in the series that Goon is a disagreeable character. We first see him in Burnt Cottage as the eponymous cottage is burning, trying to keep the onlookers in order and telling the children to "clear orf". I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I'm almost certain Bets remarks at that point that she's never heard him say anything else!

And of course, as others have said here, he's absolutely essential to the series as the Find-Outers' main antagonist. They are sometimes quite cruel to him in turn, but he was never kind to any of them right from the start, and we barely get any glimpses of him being nice to anyone or anything. It's not really surprising that he remains unmarried and seems to have no real friends! One does feel somewhat sorry for him at times, but it's pretty heavily implied that he brings most of his troubles on himself.
Moonraker wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 14:10 The thought of Goon in the act of fathering children is one image I don't need in my head.
Er, yeah, me neither. :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Yak

Post by Yak »

I always felt a little sorry for him when Buster tried to bite his ankles. Granted, trying to get Buster shot was appalling but Fatty SHOULD have made more of an effort to control Buster.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Don't forget, in an earlier book (Pantomime Cat), Goon also hits Buster with a poker and was going for another blow before Fatty wrenched it from his hand.

I agree Fatty could have made more of an effort to control Buster around Goon - but it's not like Buster's out of control. Goon's the only person he does it to and there's probably a very good reason for that, as the cruel side of Goon in the above examples (and his 'assaults' on Ern and Fatty) indicate.
Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

Agreed - and I did think of the poker incident too. Fatty showed great restraint not bashing Goon with it, if you ask me!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Good news for Goonlets...

Descendants of Buster numbered to fewer than 500 puppies last year, and Scotty dogs are now on the Kennel Club vulnerable breed list.

As are wire-haired Fox Terriers (Topsy?)

:(
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

You certainly feel your age when you suddenly realise you're about as old - or probably even older than PC Goon! :shock: :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Stephen wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 08:42 You certainly feel your age when you suddenly realise you're about as old - or probably even older than PC Goon! :shock: :D
Or as grumpy!
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I think I must still be reading the books from a child's perspective, as I always see Mr. Goon as a "grown up", conveniently forgetting that I am probably closer to old Jeremiah Boogle's age, than Mr. Goon's age!
Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

LOL yeah I must be older than Goon was too - and most of the other adults in the series. That's a bit scary.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

👍👍

ImageImage

'Young' PC Goon diligently performs his rounds in Peterswood.. :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member