New Ebay Rules

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

New Ebay Rules

Post by Aussie Sue »

I had the 'weeties' Golliwog booklet on ebay for sale.
Today I received an email from ebay saying they had removed my entry as they have updated their racial policies and Golliwogs and the word golliwog are no longer allowed.

I thought I would let everyone know. I assume it is all of ebay and not just ebay Australia.

cheers
Aussie Sue
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: New Ebay Rules

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Golliwogs/gollies (and books which mention them in the title) haven't been allowed on eBay.co.uk for some years. This is what it says on eBay's UK website:

Listings or content that promote, perpetuate or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination, including on the grounds of race, ethnicity, color, religion, disability, national origin, sex, gender and gender identity, or sexual orientation, aren't allowed. This includes but is not limited to the following:

...Items with racist, anti-Semitic, or otherwise demeaning portrayals, for example through caricatures or other exaggerated features, including figurines, cartoons, housewares, historical advertisements, and golliwogs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/pr ... cy?id=4324

I'm not sure how often listings are checked, however. There are several copies of The Three Golliwogs for sale on there at the moment.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

That's interesting Anita. Perhaps that was the same for Ebay Aust and they just don't check very often. I sold a copy of The Three Golliwogs a few months ago on Ebay!!

I agree with the principles in the ebay statement you listed above so I can't really complain. Not that I believe Enid ever saw or considered her golliwogs as black people only toys.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Is that true? I look on Ebay everyday and there's nearly always a copy of The Three Golliwogs newly listed, mainly the Deans one. There's been toys too. Right at this moment there's several golliwog books listed and not all are EB's!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I immediately googled ebay australia, Aussie Sue, and there are still plenty of copies of 'The Three Gollywogs' up. What can ebay be thinking of? Beats me. Maybe they react to specific complaints.
Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

IceMaiden, it is true, and their procedures are as Anita listed. But it is obvious, it is only a token procedure, to be seen to be doing the right thing, or perhaps they only action it, like Judith said, when someone complains. And they did remove my listing and sent me the procedure explanation.
Society Member