The Magic Faraway Tree -- Different editions?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
TheAngryPixie

The Magic Faraway Tree -- Different editions?

Post by TheAngryPixie »

I'm not talking about the modern reprints, where Dick is Rick and Fanny is Frannie and whatever.

But I remember fondly reading this book as a child (I had two copies of the collection), a version where Dame Slap was Dame Slap and Dick was Dick--so it wasn't a modern edition. But, I recently downloaded an ebook copy and the ending of the Magic Faraway Tree (book 2) was completely different.

There were new lands--the Land of Treats and the Land of Tempers, which were completely missing from the version I read as a kid.

There were a few other bits cut--notably, in the Land of Marvelous Medicine when they go to get pills for Aunt Fanny, they get into some trouble too, which was missing from the version I read as a kid.

The one I had as a kid was a collectors edition--all three books. So I guess a bit of the middle one was cut for time. Anyone else encountered that weird version?

The version I had as a kid, I actually had two copies--one a brown cover, showing Moonface (drawn as having a literal moon as a head) wearing Wellington boots as he climbed the tree. The other one was green, with Silky on the cover giving cakes to the children. Both had the exact same edits, and it was only after discovering an ebook version that I discovered there were extra lands!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Magic Faraway Tree -- Different editions?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, annoyingly The Magic Faraway Tree was abridged for the 3-in-1 editions, probably for reasons of space. A member named Booklover posted the details here:

viewtopic.php?p=1017#p1017
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
TheAngryPixie

Re: The Magic Faraway Tree -- Different editions?

Post by TheAngryPixie »

Thanks, that's it!
I was confused when I read it, and had entirely new chapters. It was a Canadian version and I half wondered if Canada got a different release than the UK.

Shame they had to butcher it like that. But at least they didn't rename Dame Slap as Dame Snap, I suppose.