Blyton editions and illustrations

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
ShenValleyLewis

Blyton editions and illustrations

Post by ShenValleyLewis »

I live in the USA where Blyton is not that well known, and her books don't often appear in used book shops. My first experience of her was reading the Adventure series in a recent re-issue, without illustrations, at my local public library. Then I obtained a complete set of the Famous Fives in Knight paperbacks from the 1970's. I've just started reading the third book in the series and was surprised to find that the interior illustrations were done by a different artist (Maxey). It's very common for updated editions of children's books to be given contemporary cover art, but usually the original illustrations are kept. I was also a bit surprised to realize how much difference the illustrations make to my enjoyment of the book. I find the Soper pictures more appealing, not only for their inherent quality but because they bring to my mind the era in which the books were written, which I now realize is part of my enjoyment of Blyton. Seeing the children in the illustrations for Five Run Away Together wearing blue jeans is just jarring.

I don't have the money to collect first editions and, as I mentioned earlier, Blytons don't often appear in used book shops in the US so I am forced to buy things online, which means I don't have a chance to inspect the illustrations (unless I get lucky and find an eBay listing that has pictures of the inside of the book, but shopping for Blytons on eBay has its own difficulties due to the profusion of editions). I know that some of the paperback reissues of various series have used the original artwork, but then there is the question of changes to the text. I object to wholesale rewriting, and I don't mind encountering obsolete words now and then, as I mentioned part of my enjoyment of Blyton is the experience of being transported to a different era.

I know there is an enormous fandom (is that an appropriate word?) and I also know that I am not the only one sensitive to these issues. Perhaps someone has compiled a chart on the different editions, noting which illustrations (if any) are used, and how significant are the changes to the text. That would be quite useful to me if such exists. Apart from the Famous Five I am especially interested in the Adventure series and Malory Towers. Thank you!
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Blyton editions and illustrations

Post by Boatbuilder »

Hello ShenValleyLewis. Have you explored 'The Cave' where you will find endless details relating to the various editions of Blyton books from across the years:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/cave-of-books.php

Happy exploring.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
ShenValleyLewis

Post by ShenValleyLewis »

Boatbuilder wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 13:45 Hello ShenValleyLewis. Have you explored 'The Cave' where you will find endless details relating to the various editions of Blyton books from across the years
Thank you!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Welcome ShenValleyLewis.

Yes, the Knight paperbacks contain illustrations by both Soper & Maxey.

I collect the Knight paperbacks with illustrations by both artists so I don't mind.
One way I use is to see if the ebay seller has included any illustrations in their sale blurb.

If not message them and ask. I would suggest just asking 'Who illustrated the book/books you are selling internally please?'

Don't mention which illustrator you are searching for before they tell you, as I have had many tell me it was one illustrator and then the book arrives illustrated by the wrong artist.

The other route it to collect the Hodder mainly (but not always) red boarded hardbacks.
Even the later hardbacked Hodders contain Eileen Soper's illustrations except for two rare ones.

I'm sure some fanatic collector here with more money than sense will tell you which two titles they are.

I find the cave to be a marvellous research tool for researching the editions you would like.

Here's a link to all the Knight Maxey Blytons you may want to avoid -

Betty Maxey illustrations (Famous Five)
viewforum.php?f=12

Here's a link to the original Famous Five's which can be still picked up reasonably in there 2nd editions onwards:

FAMOUS FIVE
There are 21 original Famous Five books by Enid Blyton written between 1942 and 1963...

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/famous-five.php

For example, in The Cave, just look at the detail Tony has provided about the Famous Fives books and their publication date and who the illustrator was in this small example about the 1st Famous Five book:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... ure+Island

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

I realise this is a minor point, but I believe the Knight books omit the endpapers illustration.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Good point. Even more confusing, weren't some endpapers added to some titles after the hardback 1st edition which in some cases initially didn't come with endpapers!!
What a minefield...

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

P.S.

See all the Famous Five endpapers here:
(All images courtesy of Enid Blyton Society Cave of books. )

https://imgur.com/a/dWgrmXS

Society Member