Food in the books set in wartime (Kidillin, Smuggler Ben, Adventurous Four)

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Food in the books set in wartime (Kidillin, Smuggler Ben, Adventurous Four)

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 20 May 2023, 11:59 Yes, that was the first picnic in 2007 (though not the first Enid Blyton Day, of course). It was drizzling with rain and we sat in a huddle on the ground next to "Gloomy Water", which we reached by dodging the dog dirt along a woodland track! Stef steered us in the direction of Dinton Pastures the following year, and we didn't look back!
Ah yes I remember that. It was not the greatest spot for a picnic but we did OK I think. There area couple of pictures of it here.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1401&start=15

My first EBS Day. What a great memory. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Happy memories, John! I remember baking almond macaroons and gingerbread for the picnic. The weather wasn't very Blytonian but there was plenty of Blytonian feasting and banter!

IceMaiden wrote: 20 May 2023, 14:30
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 02 May 2023, 09:19"Quite right - food is expensive just now - so you can go out this afternoon and buy a meat pie from the cookie-shop.
What is a cookie-shop? Surely it doesn't mean a cookie as in the chocolate chip/ biscuit sort? Was there even such a thing as a biscuit shop or was it another name for a sweet shop?
I took "cookie-shop" to be a colloquial term for a baker's shop, though I could be wrong.

IceMaiden wrote: 20 May 2023, 14:30I didn't know curds and whey was the same as junket either. What's the difference between those and a milk jelly then I wonder? Maybe something along these lines is what Sid's chocolate mould was too.
I imagine chocolate mould to be similar to a chocolate mousse, set in a mould, but I don't know for certain.

Edit: Just found a recipe for old-fashioned honeycomb mould. I expect chocolate mould would have been quite similar, but with cocoa powder or melted chocolate (and perhaps no lemon zest or juice)?

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... comb-mould
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 20 May 2023, 22:29 I imagine chocolate mould to be similar to a chocolate mousse, set in a mould, but I don't know for certain.
I always thought it would be a chocolate blancmange as they were more common in those days than mousses. Strawberry blancmange was the only one I really liked though.

Oh... I see I should have checked page one where blancmange seems to have been disc ussed quite a bit..