The Famous Five and You

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

The Famous Five and You

Post by Chrissie777 »

Did anybody read these?
I have the first one and tried to do it, but found it VERY confusing.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: The Famous Five and You

Post by Boatbuilder »

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I have several ones in English and some more in German. I once tried one In German, and while I understand the system, I disagree with their rating - If my priorities are set differently to the ones they use, it doesn't make sense.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, we had one of those when I was little (Mum picked it up from the local supermarket) — The Famous Five and You Run Away, based on Five Run Away Together. Books like that were really popular back in the 1980s — the popular series were "Choose Your Own Adventure", "Pick A Path" and "Fighting Fantasy". You basically had to make a "what to do next" decision on almost every page and turn to the designated page for your choice to see what happened next and what your next options would be as the plot went on. This was what kids did before computer games!! :P (Actually, we did have those too, but they weren't very advanced yet.)

My sister was a bigger fan of those books than I was, although I did later collect several of the "Fighting Fantasy" series (more advanced and exciting because you had to roll dice every now and then and add your skill and/or luck points to see if you could defeat the monsters or overcome whatever other challenges your character was facing), but I mainly got my kicks out of cheating and flicking back and forth through all the pages to work out what the best path was to get to the happy ending (as opposed to the various alternative endings where you got killed or trapped forever :shock: )... I really don't remember very much at all about the one Famous Five version we had, though. I think I soon got bored with it — though I remember the sinister Sticks were intriguing — and I decided to read the original book, once we'd got hold of a copy (we didn't have it at that time), to find out what REALLY happened in this story! :wink:

(I wasn't disappointed, either. I've still never read the entire FF series, but Five Run Away Together soon ended up being one of my favourites out of those I did read. I always loved Julian's famous confrontation with Pa Stick and the exciting twist in the mystery when Anne works out what the "stolen goods" actually are...)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I had the Camp one. I quite liked it especially the map. I remember trying to write my own!
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I had Run Away Together in the German version and liked it - but knowing the original book I was very annoyed that at one point the wrong option was labelled correct :lol:.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Boatbuilder wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 00:15 Is this what you mean, Chrissie?

Yes, John, that's it.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... fiveandyou
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock