Question regarding 1st edition of Five on a Treasure Island

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
egoon

Question regarding 1st edition of Five on a Treasure Island

Post by egoon »

Hi all,
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.

I am intrigued by a comment I saw posted against a 1st edition Treasure island book: "Both the front and rear flaps are the wider format, denoting the correct first edition status. "

Without getting into the minutiae of what represents a true first edition (but perhaps its needed) does anyone know what is entailed by "wider format"? I have looked at photos online and the content appears to be the same, which makes me think it must solely be the width of the front and rear flaps - but ive not been able to turn up any information further to that. :?

I am sure someone here knows the answer..!
egoon

Re: Question regarding 1st edition of Five on a Treasure Island

Post by egoon »

I have examined Lupsons forensic examination of DJs (https://www.stellabooks.com/article/the ... ers-part-4) but there is no mention i can find of any variations in the Treasure Island 1st ed. versus later versions (e.g. Sept 1942).
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Gordon Lupson had four articles published in the EBSOC journal titled "The Famous Five Series: Some Hodder ... Stoughton Errors and Anomalies" If I recall correctly there were measurements included in those. They began in journal 28. I can dig my journals out at some point later this week to check, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
egoon

Post by egoon »

Thank you! I think the Stella link has all 4 parts (which I think were a copy from what was published in the journals?).
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Of course, there is an obvious person to ask about this!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've just looked through more of the Stella link and you are probably right. I see that part 2 has measurements on the widths of the flaps which is what I must have been thinking of. I assume, then, that that's what your 'wider' format refers to. All the ones shown in part 2 have flaps a few millimetres wider in the true first than any later impressions or editions measured.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
egoon

Post by egoon »

@Moonraker - who or do you mean Tony?

Is anyone here in receipt of a true first edition that could perhaps check? I have asked the dealer as to the measurements of their copy in which they refer to the wider leafs and await their response.
egoon

Post by egoon »

Thanks Fiona. Yes that indeed is a good spot - i missed that. What is interesting is that i have observed a 0.2cm difference in my first editions which makes me now ponder as to what indeed is the true first edition and what perhaps is the September (& indeed later) versions.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Page 58 of Tony's 'An Illustrated Bibliography" Part 1: 1922-1943

Five on a Treasure Island:
notes: The first three editions used exactly the same dustwrapper, the first two were identical but the third had narrower flaps (front cover and flap measure 8 1/2" on the first two and only 8" on the third.

Hope this helps. Tony's bibliography's are a must for every serious collector. The detail is amazing.

cheers
Aussie Sue
Society Member
egoon

Post by egoon »

Oh thanks every so much Sue. I feel acquiring a copy of the bibliography is now next on my list :/
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I think you would love it!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member