Writers inspired by Enid

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Writers inspired by Enid

Post by Judith Crabb »

I wish over the years I'd kept a list of all the writers who claim inspiration from their childhood reading of Enid Blyton, both adult novelists and writers for children. Rarely a month went by but I could have added another two or three to the list. By now I'd have hundreds of names. Is it too late to start? I could start today with Australia's current 'Children's Laureate', Chinese-Australian Gabrielle Wang. Her role is to promote reading, Australian children's books in particular. Two points from the Weekend Australian article (26/7 March) by Joy Lawn. As a poor reader, as a child Gabrielle needed illustrations to break up the text (Blyton's illustrators contributed magnificently to her success). And 'she loved reading "The Magic Faraway Tree" and this 'inspired her to write [and illustrate] stories set in the real world that cross over into other dimensions'.
I admit that I have not read any of her books, but I'll start with 'The Garden of Empress Cassia'.
Society Member
Susie9598

Re: Writers inspired by Enid

Post by Susie9598 »

There must be loads, Judith. I am definitely one of them, so you can add me to your list if you like! My first novel for teenagers was published last September. I’ve been - slightly reluctantly if I’m honest - doing some author talks as part of the publicity and I always say that it was EB books that made me want to write. I grew up abroad in the 1970s, so there was little in the way of English speaking television or English children to play with so I would read and read, and EB created new worlds for me where I wanted to spend time. This is a very difficult thing for a writer to do, and she seemed to do it effortlessly (which is why I believe she was a genius writer for children). One of the heartening things I’ve realised since doing the author talks in schools is that young readers still love the EB books - even though often it’s with altered and “modernised” texts (don’t get me started). I think Jacqueline Wilson says in her autobiography that she was inspired at least in part by EB to become a writer? I’m almost sure she does.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Julie Robinson author of The Mysterious Boy is a lifelong Enid Blyton fan.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mysterious-Boy ... 1788231635
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes, Susie9598, effortlessly says it all, and until her fraught old age it appears that it actually was. (Many writers admit to a lot of hard work, sweating over achieving similar easy expression producing page-turning engagement in their readers.) Although I don't agree I can sympathize with Brian Carter's (Enid Blyton 'The Untold Story') suggesting that she may be in some occult manner 'channeling' her stories.
Another writer for the 'inspired by' list. In 'The Advertiser' this morning an interview with Toni Jordan about her latest novel, a comedy 'Dinner with the Schnabels', includes the following answer to the question 'A book that had a pivotal impact on your life?': 'At eight I was obsessed with Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series'.
On another post a week or so ago I mentioned Miriam Margolyes fondness for Enid Blyton revealed in her autobiography, but as actor rather than writer I didn't feel she qualified here.
Last edited by Judith Crabb on 17 Apr 2022, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I think that Miriam Margoyles should be Miriam MARGOLYES.
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Thanks, Barnard. As you can see I've corrected it. I'll check the other post to make sure I got it right there!
And a belated thanks to Pete - The Mysterious Boy does sound Blytonesque.
I was looking at 'The Pleasure of Reading' (1992) edited by Antonia Fraser in which various writers reveal their childhood reading and it occurs to me that attack on Blyton is often class-related, as though the middle and upper classes were afraid that in some peculiar fashion their children would suffer from exposure to literature which is definitely 'popular'. There are a dozen Blyton references in the index, but only some are positive. Fraser herself, daughter of a Lord, was forbidden to read Blyton, an embargo she passed on to her six children, only to find that Blyton was being smuggled in from a child whose mother was more indulgent. OK, Blyton's central characters are predominantly middle class, but the vast numbers of her readers during her life time must indicate that her readers were predominantly 'of the people' - working class and lower middle class. How often do we hear that her fans who became readers for life were not from bookish backgrounds.
Times changed, and popular culture became fashionable, which has helped towards the re-evaluation of Blyton's achievement.
(I found in most respects 'The Pleasure of Reading' a delight to read. It gave me plenty of excellent suggestions for my reading life.)
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

pete9012S wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 11:11 Image

Julie Robinson author of The Mysterious Boy is a lifelong Enid Blyton fan.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mysterious-Boy ... 1788231635
I was surprised to see my book suddenly advertised, as it's something I don't plug anymore now. So thanks for the revival plug Pete. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Barnard wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 06:26 I think that Miriam Margoyles should be Miriam MARGOLYES.
It is only recently that I realised her surname wasn't Margoyles!
Society Member