Faraway Tree Books by Jacqueline Wilson

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Faraway Tree Books by Jacqueline Wilson

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting thoughts, Debbie, though I don't read things in the same way. Connie has already been without her voice for three days before Mrs. Saucepan comes, and she's clearly unhappy about the situation. Mother is alarmed and had suggested taking Connie to the doctor at first, but decided not to when Jo said that Connie was under a spell and could only be put right by another spell. I view Mother as having come to accept that living near the Enchanted Wood involves being open to some extraordinary goings-on!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

I gave this a read not long ago.

It's ... ok. The lands were nowhere near as imaginative, fun or creative as Enid's and I think what let it down the most was, up until the final land, the Land of Dragons arrived, their was zero peril.

It was just going to a land (and only three lands appear in the book!) having a good time and leaving.'

Whereas Enid, their was peril--Jo getting turned upside down, Connie losing her voice, getting stuck in Dame Slap's school, the Snowman kidnapping Jo etc. Which made them much more exciting, along with the simple "go to a nice land and have a nice time--the Land of Birthdays and Land of Goodies"

Plus, she really spoilt Moonface. Basically turning him into a man baby who cant look after himself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've now read Jacqueline Wilson's The Magic Faraway Tree - A Christmas Adventure and I found it terribly bland.

Jacqueline Wilson is an excellent writer when conjuring up her own fictional worlds, creating realistic stories which examine the tougher aspects of life (on occasion being too depressing for my liking, but well-written). In this Faraway Tree book (and the earlier one) she's dealing with a fantasy universe dreamt up by Enid Blyton and, although Jacqueline Wilson brings in characters of her own, she never truly embraces the deep enchantment of the dim, whispering wood.

Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree stories are full of wonder but also deliciously dark and chilling in places, with plotlines laden with danger and potential doom. She's not afraid to introduce shocking, poignant elements - though always with a happy resolution eventually. As a youngster I loved nightmarish characters like Dame Slap, the Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe and the scary Snowman. I also enjoyed alarming episodes such as a child being rendered mute for a time, or being left to walk on his hands, or the Faraway Tree itself coming close to dying. Strong stuff, but compelling! Jacqueline Wilson's idea of fantasy is rather more tame, and some of her magical lands have the air of a package holiday or a shopping centre about them!

Jacqueline Wilson is fond of lists describing what people get, e.g. what kind of ginger biscuit or toast topping each character has, or what type of toy each character prefers. I like knowing these little details but that sort of listing happens too often, with the story (such as it is) remaining suspended.

Jacqueline Wilson is at her best in her portrayal of the way family members and friends relate to one another. On the whole, her ordinary, everyday family scenes are more enjoyable to read than her magical ones. That's not surprising - after all, that's where her great strength lies.

I realise that her Faraway Tree titles aren't continuation books and aren't trying to do the same thing as the original trilogy. However, I'd have expected them to retain the essence of the hallowed Enchanted Wood with the iconic Faraway Tree and its ever-changing lands. Sadly, they fail to do that and the originals are far more atmospheric, unexpected and thrilling.

Society Member
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 13:10

Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree stories are full of wonder but also deliciously dark and chilling in places, with plotlines laden with danger and potential doom. She's not afraid to introduce shocking, poignant elements - though always with a happy resolution eventually. As a youngster I loved nightmarish characters like Dame Slap, the Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe and the scary Snowman. I also enjoyed alarming episodes such as a child being rendered mute for a time, or being left to walk on his hands, or the Faraway Tree itself coming close to dying. Strong stuff, but compelling! Jacqueline Wilson's idea of fantasy is rather more tame, and some of her magical lands have the air of a package holiday or a shopping centre about them!

That was my major issue with them. There was no peril at all.

They were very disappointing. I also found the lands a bit cliche, as if Wilson thought "Hmmm what do little girls like, I know--unicorns!"

Could be worse though, we could have had TikTok Land.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Your mention of TikTok initially made me think of L. Frank Baum's character:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tik-Tok_(Oz)

Then the penny dropped that it's also some kind of social media platform!

Society Member