Re-reading old books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Eldberg

Re-reading old books

Post by Eldberg »

Having found my childhood collection of books, I am now re-reading some of them. Beginning with the Famous Five and on to the Adventure series.

Two memories lurk in my mind. On concerns a parrot belonging to one of the main characters. I think the one in the Adventure books is named Kiki (if that is not a Swedish translation, original may be different?). But the parrot I am thinking of annoys people by saying "Pardon!" all the time. Kiki does not. Is there another parrot somewhere i Blyton's books or have I confused the stories?

The other memory has to do with a boy who meets with the main characters and whom they are somehow forced to take care of. He is a foreign noble and must be addressed as "Durchlaucht". Can't find this either in my Blyton books.

Am I mixing things up?

Åke
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Re-reading old books

Post by Barnard »

I think that, in one of the Adventure books, Kiki does indeed say ‘pardon’.
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Eldberg wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 15:30 The other memory has to do with a boy who meets with the main characters and whom they are somehow forced to take care of. He is a foreign noble and must be addressed as "Durchlaucht".
That sounds like Gustavus from 'The Circus of Adventure' unless you are confusing him with 'Prince Paul' from the 'Secret series" (Secret of Spiggy Holes onward).

And Kiki is the star parrot in Enid's books!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Kiki is the only parrot in Blyton's books that I can think of. She appears in the Adventure series. And in one of the books the children have been ill and Kiki develops the annoying habit of copying them by sniffing and then saying "pardon".

The foreign noble is almost certainly "Gussy" from The Circus of Adventure whom the family must look after in England but they are all then whisked off to his country Tauri-Hessia as part of a dastardly plot.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I'm not sure that it is Gussy. The other children don't even know he's a prince when he comes and he's never addressed as "Durchlaucht" or with another title.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

It depends on how much you misremeber things, Åke. When the children learn that Gustavus actually is a prince and Lucy-Ann states that she can't call him Prince Aloysius etc., Bill asks them to keep calling him Gustavus.
In "River of adventure" Kiki actually says quite a lot of times "Pardon".
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Bill does not tell the children first that Gussy is a prince-- its Gussy himself who says it out-- when he keeps throwing tantrums-- and the others get really.fed up with him. After this Bills lets out the secret of Gussy being a prince
Eldberg

Post by Eldberg »

Thanks all for your answers.

Gustavus -- yes, that was the noble I was thinking of. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced the Circus book.

The parrot that says "pardon" must be in some other book, not Enids. I just read the River adventure and Kiki does not say "pardon" in the Swedish translation. The word actually exists in Swedish but is very unusual and has a somewhat different meaning. We would e.g. not say "pardon?" to indicate that we did not hear what someone said. Which is probably why it has been translated using another word.

Åke
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I thought Kiki says pardon a lot in one of the books because she pretends to hiccup I think she does actually get the hiccups for real at one point.

I can't remember which book it is though.

Are the books you are reading in English or Swedish?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The word actually exists in Swedish but is very unusual and has a somewhat different meaning
the word has several meanings in English:

the action of forgiving or being forgiven for an error or offence.
"he obtained pardon for his sins"

forgive or excuse (a person, error, or offence).
"I know Katharine will pardon me"
or
(after breaking wind) "Pardon me!"

a request to a speaker to repeat something because one did not hear or understand it.
"‘Pardon?’ I said, cupping a hand to my ear" - similar to the previous example, fully , it would be, "Pardon me, but I didn't catch what you said," for example.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 13:56
forgive or excuse (a person, error, or offence).
"I know Katharine will pardon me"
Of course, I'd forgive you anything. :wink:

Regarding Kiki, I presume that a hiccup was deemed as offensive as burping in the Mannering household, which is presumably why Kiki said "Pardon" afterwards.

I've just seen that others have commented that the 'Pardon' relates to sniffing and in River of Adventure - I've obviously got myself as muddled up as Kiki sometimes does. ;)
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Lucky Star wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 17:13 Kiki is the only parrot in Blyton's books that I can think of.
Madame Prunella has quite a few in one of the Galliano books, doesn't she?

"Britomart thinks he's smart, but he has a stoney heart" ;)
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Madame Prunella's parrots were unique-- especially Gringle who yelled out names of food more than anything else--- Baked beans and potatoes, bacon and eggs, plum pudding and custard -- to name just a few
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

GloomyGraham wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 00:52 Madame Prunella has quite a few in one of the Galliano books, doesn't she?

"Britomart thinks he's smart, but he has a stoney heart" ;)
Yes, that's Circus Days Again, the third and final Galliano book. Gringle, the most talkative of her parrots, is a bit like Kiki!

I also have a memory of Kiki saying "Pardon" in at least one of the Adventure books, but I don't own the whole series and most of the books I do have are in storage at the moment, so I can't check which one it is!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)