Enid Blyton and the pop-up book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Enid Blyton and the pop-up book

Post by Judith Crabb »

I've had a weakness for pop-up books since being given 'Winnie-the-Pooh and the Bees' and 'Winnie-the-Pooh and Eeyore's Tail' in the 1950s. I still love those two.
When I decided to start collecting Enid Blyton books again in the 1990s, having sold most of my childhood collection in the cause of making a living, until recently I confined myself to books published in Enid's life-time. What surprised me was the paucity of pop-up books. All I've ended up with are three Noddy volumes (the Cave of Books illustrates six). Am I right in supposing that there must be quite a few 'modern' Blyton pop-up publications? (By 'modern' I mean since 1968.) The only one I have is 'Enid Blyton's Brer Rabbit Pop-up Book', a Dean publication from 1985. The paper engineering is quite good.
I'd be interested to hear of other pop-up Blyton titles - both rare 'oldies' and the more recent ones. (Wouldn't the Faraway or Wishing Chair stories make great pop-ups?)
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Re: Enid Blyton and the pop-up book

Post by Aussie Sue »

I only collect pre her death and can't think of much pop-up but quite a few 'novelty books' e.g. The Werner Laurie Show Books - Enid Blyton presents Mary Mouse and Enid Blyton presents Rubbalong Tale. And also the Methuen 'Playing at Home''. And of course the Handerchief book.
Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

And Enid Blyton's Noddy Cut-Out model book "Adventure for the Noah's Ark is quite special (all Beek illustrations).
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Seen this one Judith? I just loved pop-up books when I was little. They were like magic to me!

ENID BLYTON ~ THE TOM THUMB FAIRIES ~ A POP-UP STORYBOOK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283426262952
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's lovely Pete.

I love pop-up books too.

I know I have a couple of modern Noddy ones, I think one is Noddy and the Roller Skates.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Here's another!

Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes, Sue, I couldn't agree more. Novelty books are top of the tree (so to speak).
And thanks Pete for those examples. I followed the link and noted that the rear cover of 'The Tom Thumb Fairies' advertises three others in the series, one of which you posted.
I suspect that there are no modern Blyton pop-ups which are anything other than unpretentious, pleased though I am to see them. I doubt very much that I will see examples of paper-engineering that will fill me with awed delight, except, of course, in my dreams. (Once many years ago I thought that I had discovered an unknown unrecorded Ida Rentoul Outhwaite pop-up fairy book. Then I woke up.)
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds impressive Judith. I have been impressed by some of the JOLLY JUMP UPS pop up books currently available on ebay.
Some of the content is definitely 'of it's era' but they are nonetheless most impressive!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... S&_sacat=0

Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

I must say I can't take to these cartoonish type illustrations that are used today for young childrens' books. The wonderful book illustrators of the past really added to the story and the atmosphere, these just take over.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I agree Sue.
I think this lovely pop up book's artwork was published in 1942:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Beautiful books indeed. Too expensive for me though. At those prices one would need to have a determination to collect them all.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

Pete, The Jolly Jump Ups are gorgeous.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that the Jolly Jump-Ups look stunning.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes, the Jolly-Jump Ups are lovely. And the Bookano series of the 1930s and the V. Kubasta 'All-colour Animated 3-Dimensionals' of the fifties and sixties which I believe originated in Prague, and some very modern pop-ups are extra-ordinary too.
What's that verse of R.L. Stevenson? Something like 'The world is so full of such wonderful things, We should all be as happy as kings' - even though kings haven't been particularly happy, I understand the sentiment.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Judith Crabb wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 22:44 What's that verse of R.L. Stevenson? Something like 'The world is so full of such wonderful things, We should all be as happy as kings' - even though kings haven't been particularly happy, I understand the sentiment.

(From A Child's Garden of Verses.)

I've always LOVED pop-up books (and lift-the-flap books, and ones with any other clever tricks like tabs to pull or wheels to turn to make the pictures move)... the problem is they don't always stand up very well to abuse from kiddies' hands, which can make it hard to find vintage ones that are still intact!! I suppose that's why they can be so expensive.

I remember years ago my mum managed to find a commemorative pop-up book of the Queen's coronation in 1953, in beautiful condition — I can't remember how much Mum paid for it, but it must have been quite affordable, or she wouldn't have bought it. That was back in the early 1990s, before the internet came along and prices of collector's items really shot up!

(And now I'm remembering the gorgeous film Paddington 2, the plot of which involves an antique pop-up book of London that Paddington Bear wants to buy for his dear Aunt Lucy in Peru — but then someone steals it from the shop and Paddington gets accused of the theft... All ends happily, of course! :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)