Enid Blyton and the Working Title

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Enid Blyton and the Working Title

Post by Judith Crabb »

I gather that some authors spend a lot of time deciding on a suitable title for their latest. I never get that feeling from Enid Blyton's titles. They are generally very functional. The title reveals the genre and it includes a succinct indicator of plot (Burnt Cottage, Ragamuffin, Bad Boys...). Of course Enid Blyton must have known that her name on the book was attraction enough not to have to waste time fussing about with titles. And when you've got a series going such as 'Five' or 'Mystery' it was simple to add the extra bit to distinguish the title from the prequels and the sequels.
I decided to re-read 'The Secret Island' recently. I looked with pleasure at the series on the shelf - 'Secret' of course appearing in every title, unusually sometimes as noun sometimes as adjective. My copy of 'The Secret Island ' is the July 1943 reprint with a delightful dust-jacket which repeats the image of the frontispiece - children loading the boat with baskets of goodies.
I looked at the front flap, expecting to read a synopsis of 'The Secret Island'. Instead the heading is 'Ready Shortly' and the title? 'The Secret Forest' presumably Enid Blyton's working title. We know that the fourth book in the series is 'The Secret of Killimooin'. Late changes to titles are not uncommon. I wonder about the reason behind this one. Has anyone any other examples of changes such as this to other Blyton titles?
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Enid Blyton and the Working Title

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

"Ready Shortly" sounds like a message to the editor!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017