Going to school together

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Going to school together

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote: Imagine if all the Find Outers went to school locally in Peterswood - Goon would have surely needed constant sedation to control his blood pressure.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
S-Dog2001 wrote:Yes, it seems to be quite a common idea that Bets would have been Fatty's assistent later on (I fully agree with this as well), but does anyone think that the other three would also have worked with Fatty? He would probaby have enough money to pay all of them. I know when Bets brings up this idea in the spiteful letters the others sort of laugh it off as if it's unlikely, but I don't really see why that couldn't happen - they all work really well together already!
I've never really thought about that. I've imagined that Ern might become Fatty's assistant and maybe eventually move on to become a senior detective himself (in a Morse and Lewis sort of fashion), but hadn't thought about the other actual Find-Outers. Pip, Larry and Daisy might well end up in more conventional careers, but I like to believe Bets would have stuck with Fatty — and that they would have ended up getting married (as some fan-fic writers, including Julie from this forum, have imagined)! :wink: Although Bets' admiration for Fatty is pretty much at the level of schoolgirl hero-worship — she is under 12 years old for presumably the entire series, after all — he certainly treats her with far more kindness and respect than her brother ever does (or than even Larry and Daisy do, for that matter), and I can imagine their mutual affection growing into something deeper as they both got older...

... or am I just reading too much into these things?? :P

(And am I the only one who thinks Fatty in that illustration looks like a younger version of Ronnie Barker?? :shock: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
S-Dog2001
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Bets, followed closely by Fatty!

Post by S-Dog2001 »

Courtenay wrote:but I like to believe Bets would have stuck with Fatty — and that they would have ended up getting married (as some fan-fic writers, including Julie from this forum, have imagined)! :wink: Although Bets' admiration for Fatty is pretty much at the level of schoolgirl hero-worship — she is under 12 years old for presumably the entire series, after all — he certainly treats her with far more kindness and respect than her brother ever does (or than even Larry and Daisy do, for that matter), and I can imagine their mutual affection growing into something deeper as they both got older...)
Yes, Courtenay, I think they would have got married. The affection they show throughout the entire series is more than just brotherly-sisterly in my opinion, (as much as it can be for their ages).
Bets sat down suddenly because her knees began shaking.
"I’ve got that feeling again,” she said earnestly. “You know – that something is wrong with Fatty.”
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

The illustration of Fatty with his arm round Bets is gorgeous.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm pretty sure it's got into the Caption Competition a few times! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Yes---In Spiteful letters , while.tjey are having lunch at a small tavern.in Sheepsale--Bets wishes that they could go on solving mysteries all their lives.The others just laugh it off,but later in life it could be true---.with Bets being a Watson to Frederck Sherlick Trotteville Holmes
-- Larry Daisy ,Pip could be assisstants too--.as.they had.done all along---- probably Fatty's shed would be the usual meeting place-- the shed will be as it was.when they were children as it would perhaps lend a boost to Fatty's Sherlock Holmes detection with Bets by his side to lend more confidence and.support to our.great detective.
Nair Snehalatha

How is it that I forgot our Ern-- Mr Goon's nephew? He certainly.deserves to be Fatty's helper-- and he admired Fatty a lot-- He tjought the world of Fatty.and how he completed Ern's 'pomes' for him
In Strange Messages--Fatty's completion of Ern's poem--'The old old house' led to the first clue.Ern would be a great help to Fatty.And Mr Goon? He will just be the same.with his 'Clear Orf.-- and fights with Buster--.Buster.was very.fond of Bets too , like his master.I can.almost see in my mind'eye Fatty,Bets,.Ern.Buster---.in a lovely.little cottage--.with.the otjer Find outers living a stone's throw.away.
S-Dog2001

Post by S-Dog2001 »

Barnard wrote:The illustration of Fatty with his arm round Bets is gorgeous.
I might use that one as my avatar, considering they are my two favourite characters...
"I’ve got that feeling again,” she said earnestly. “You know – that something is wrong with Fatty.”
Nair Snehalatha

Ern too was very fond of Bets-- and he was loving and caring-- but am sure Bets would have married Fatty--.In the Famous Five too Ragamuffin Jo was all over Dick -- it was for Dick that she had helped.the Five to get out of danger-- Dick and Jo would have got on well if they get married --am sure.they.would
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Bets would certainly have married Fatty but would they have continued to call each other Fatty and Bets or would it have become Frederick and Elizabeth?
I think there is no chance that Dick would have married Jo.
S-Dog2001

Post by S-Dog2001 »

I'm sure they would not call each other Frederick and Elizabeth. I don't think they ever use those names in the books when addressing each other. And besides, couples often have 'pet' names for each other; Frederick and Elizabeth would just be too formal.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm sure Fatty would always be "Fatty" to Bets, the other Find-Outers and Ern - even if he slimmed down and became as thin as a rake! Although it may have been meant as an insult at first, "Fatty" quickly became a term of endearment or a "pet" name as S-Dog puts it, used with the greatest of affection.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

'Pet ' named usually stick an entire lifetime-- we all had 'pet' names for our teachers and even.years later we still refer to them.affectionately by their old pet names.Yes,.Dick would have married Jo-- One thing that puzzles me in Find outers is when Pip and Bets parents--mr and mrs Hilton keep forbidding them to get into another mystery.as they.did in Hidden House
Fatty's mother too disapproves of his disguises instead of realiding what a born actor and detective he is---.and commending him.Perhaps dear old Blyton made it that way as parents those days stood no nonsense and were really strict
In fact my parents were -- both.father.and mother
Nair Snehalatha

In the.Barney.books Roger,Diana and Snubby went to different schools-- which I thought little strange -- Roger and Snubby could have gone yo a boys' boarding and Diana at a girls'. Barny was a circus boy and could not go to school although he had a thirst for knowledge-- In Rockingdown.mystery.when the others are learning sums and Latin with Mr. King, Barney.sits at the back reading Shakespeare's Tempest-- Again, from the beginning Barney and Diana were very fond of each other-- --- it's not totally.brotherly sisterly.In Rat a tat mystery, after Barney finds his father --- when.they go to Rat a tat house--- we find Diana telling Barney, while skating--'thats right--- hold my hand 'Am sure they got marrried when they grew up-- In a way Barney was like Fatty-- very intellgent, handsome-- a good mstch for Diana.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Most interesting, thank you.

Yes, I like Barney's character too. Straight, upright, honest and true. He reminds me a bit of Andy from The Adventurous Four. I wonder if he might have married one of the twins??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

I think that the Secret Seven series was quite unique, in that everyone, including Susie, went to the same school. That was part of the dynamic that worked so well for the series. In the FF and FFO and other series, the children usually went to different schools, and only met up during school holidays. When I think of the SS series, many of the books were set during school term, as I recall.