Going to school together

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Going to school together

Post by Courtenay »

She only has eyes for Fatty... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Bets is all out for Fatty--- in Invisible Thief-- Bets is quite jealous when Hilary,whose house was broken into by the 'invisible thief' -- shows Fatty.her prizes she got for riding -- this shows Bets was really possessive about Fatty.- Anyway-- it's a good match--.Fatty.and Bets.
Nair Snehalatha

Re-- Nothing spooky in Blyton'sstories

Another very positive vibe in Enid Blyton stories is the very positive approach.The Famius five take shelter in old ruined houses -- like the one in --five on a hike together-- Gloomy Water-- is as dark.snd gloomy as its name-- and the old ruined house was desolate---- stil the Julian and the rest have no jitters in staying there.Also in various other books----secret seven.on the trail--- the old house ,on the lonely hill-- there's nothing that frightens us -- except the loneliness.
Nair Snehalatha

I wonder.why.Blyton. never mentions people the Famous five , Find outers etc have met on.their adventures-- In Fiinniston Farm there are the twins, Yan.in..Go down to the sea,..Hilary of Norton house-- in Invisible thief --.it goes on and on--We never come across the Famous Five again meeting.Richard Kent in five get into trouble-- or.Nobby.in.Go off in a caravan..--.These characters leave.forever-- leaving us wondering what happened to them.and.where they sre nowl.
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

^
Yes it would be nice if we saw more of the characters again and were told what happened to them. I know we see it with Tinker and Jo in FF, Susie in SS and Ern and Sid in FO but not as much as maybe one would like!

I agree with the positive vibe throughout the books also. Even when the characters are in trouble, you always feel they’re going to get out of it and I guess you’d expect that with a children’s book.
S-Dog2001
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Bets, followed closely by Fatty!

Post by S-Dog2001 »

Ern is almost one of the Find-Outers himself by the end of the series
Bets sat down suddenly because her knees began shaking.
"I’ve got that feeling again,” she said earnestly. “You know – that something is wrong with Fatty.”
Nair Snehalatha

Susie is in all SS books--probably the Secre seven owe a lot to Susie to add more tang to the adventure with a lot of humour thrown in
.--- Ern.is also part of the FF-- but other charscters like Nobby and Pongo, Aily,.and her pets, Martin.in Kirrin island again and a whole host of otherrs-- I.would love to know what they have been doing and what happened to them-- Same for the School stories-- some girls leave but we dont hear of them again-- Bit nostalgic.
kirstleecurry
Favourite book/series: Five FindOuters
Favourite character: Fatty and Mr Goon

Post by kirstleecurry »

I also felt that Jo and Dick could be a potential couple. One would hope that with her new home and schooling that his family would at least consider her a reasonable match. But on the other hand, I could quite see Dick marrying her in the face of parental opposition and just saying "See Ya" - I would hope that Anne at least would be sympathetic, George probably would as well if we assume the marriage happened about 15 years later - she would probably be a bra burner by then and would applaud his marrying outside of his class. Julian however would have probably retreated to his middle class reactionary roots and forgotten his childhood adventures - he would see Dick and his family at Christmas perhaps, but his high faluting banking friends wouldn't really *mix*, and his children would certainly NOT be spending their hols with Dick and Jo's kids... Poor Anne would be distraught every holiday, trying to work the placement, and would never dare to suggest that she hosts the Fives kids on a holiday together, in case Sir Julian Barnard-Kirrin Esq disapproved. She has not seen George since Uni, but they correspond regularly....
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

That sounds quite plausible to me and I can well imagine how distraught it would make poor Anne :)
Society Member