The Wishing Chair v The Faraway Tree

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Wishing Chair v The Faraway Tree

Post by pete9012S »

ImageImage

The Wishing Chair v The Faraway Tree (Enchanted Wood)?

Which book do you like best and why?
I have never read either book (unbelievable I know!).

Which book should I read first??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The Wishing Chair v The Faraway Tree

Post by Lucky Star »

It's always been The Faraway Tree for me. Probably nostalgic reasons as they were the ones I read first. I am surprised you haven't read either of them |Pete. I would say you cannot possibly go wrong with The Enchanted Wood. If you don't enjoy it I'll eat my hat. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I agree. I had both books as a child and although I enjoyed them both, I definitely preferred The Enchanted Wood.

I think I felt there was more of an ongoing story running through The Enchanted Wood, whereas the Wishing Chair felt more like a collection of short stories - although I think a few ran over a couple of chapters.

Both are worth reading though. Perhaps read the Wishing Chair first and so save 'the best until last'. :wink:
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks!

Sounds like The Wishing Chair will be a good place to start.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The Faraway Tree for me too. I loved it as a child - I had the Wishing Chair books too, but there is just something about the Enchanted Wood which pips the other to the post!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I prefer the Faraway Tree books to the Wishing-Chair books too. I agree with Katharine that there are more ongoing story threads in the Faraway Tree series (though the second Wishing-Chair book is better than the first in that respect) and the tree itself is iconic, with some endearing elements (e.g. Moon-Face's cosy room, Silky's delicious Google Buns and Pop Biscuits, and the red squirrel who collects the cushions) but also masses of quirky, unexpected and often alarming elements. I love the idea of a flying chair but the Faraway Tree is a world linked to other worlds and shows Enid at her imaginative best.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'll go along with everyone else so far — I read and loved both as a child, but I think the Faraway Tree series is the better one overall. Both sets of books are a bit episodic (that probably has something to do with being serialised in Sunny Stories originally!), but the Faraway Tree saga introduces us to a whole community of memorable characters who take part in most of the adventures together with the children, and that just gives the books a greater sense of depth and warmth somehow, I think. I always loved Silky and Moon-Face in particular — even as a four-year-old, I reckoned the two of them must have been headed for marriage. :wink: Of course Enid doesn't actually tell us that, but by the third book they do seem to be spending a lot of time together...

Most memorable of all, though, was and is the ending of the third book, The Folk of the Faraway Tree, in which the adventures come to a very dramatic and (for me) quite wrenching climax... I won't give away any details, Pete, but I reckon if you read the whole series, you won't be disappointed.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

It seems I'm the only Wishing Chair champion so far! This is mostly through sheer nostalgia; this was my introduction to Enid Blyton, and I still strongly associate it with memories of my first school. Mr Grim's School for Bad Brownies was next to the playground, and one of my friends reminded me so much of Winks...

I never had The Faraway Tree as a child, although I remember our teacher reading one of the books out to us, and the whole thing did sound quite fun. Of course a big aspect of the Wishing Chair is that the children understandably don't want the grown ups to find out about their secret otherwise it would be "put into a museum". On the other hand, the children in the Faraway Tree are quite happy to tell their mother about their adventures, and even invite their friends around to meet her. I'm not sure how I would react as a grown up being introduced to a silky fairy or a man with an enormous, moon-shaped head!
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

You can't go wrong with either of them! I adore both, but the Wishing Chair holds a very special place in my heart. It was the book my mum bought from Woolworths before I was even born because she 'thought I'd like something by Enid Blyton'. I was hooked from the first page and I credit it with so much. It's the first proper book I ever read, I have fond memories of my dad reading me a chapter a night at four years old, I learnt to read with it and of course it started my lifelong love of EB :D . The idea of a chair that can grow wings and fly you away to strange and exciting places is to me every bit as imaginative and marvellous as a magical tree that can take you to them. Read both Pete - you'll be glad you did!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

It's a bit like comparing Malory Towers with the earlier St Clares and Naughtiest Girl series.

As an adult I found it interesting to see how Enid developed as an author. So I'd recommend to start with the Chair and progress to the Tree.

Anyone fancy a readathon?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: Anyone fancy a readathon?
I'd be up for that — either series!! :D :D :D (The only one I don't have on hand is The Wishing-Chair Again, but that can be rectified quite easily.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Betsy's Bear

Post by Betsy's Bear »

The Wishing Chair for me. I got my copy from my auntie, it was hers as a child and she had watercoloured in all the outline illustrations and I read it over and over. Enchanted stores good too.
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Like most other I (much) prefer the Faraway Tree series. I did like the Wishing Chair though but the Faraway Tree series is I think by far the better. Partly because of the whole new world that the children are drawn into, partly because there is the continuity thread running through, and I also think because there are more memorable characters like Silky, Moonface, Dame Washalot. I also love the way that the tree characters have some small interaction with the children's parents, well mother actually. On this thread somebody commented it is like comparing the school books - Malory Towers, St Claire's and the Naughtiest Girl series. Here again I think that Malory Towers is by far the superior series.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Blytonfan

Post by Blytonfan »

Great discussion.

I always felt that "Wishing Chair" got it's inspiration from "Granny's Wonderful Chair" and "The Enchanted Wood" from "The Cuckoo Clock".
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Definitely The Faraway Tree for me.

The first Blyton books I read, so I certainly have a sense of nostalgia for them.