Words you first learnt in a Blyton book!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Stephen

Re: Words you first learnt in a Blyton book!

Post by Stephen »

An obvious one I'd forgotten was 'Anonymous' from Spiteful Letters. Or rather thinking like Bets and the two ladies she was eavesdropping that the word was 'Nonimous' - until Fatty put us right!

Going back to the Grease discussion, I never saw it until my twenties or perhaps even early thirties (it just hadn't appealed to me before) - but one of my earliest memories of Top of the Pops was when I'd have been about 5 and seeing John Travolta and his mates apparently walking over rows of benches singing 'Summer Nights'!
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Stalagmites and stalactites, in one of the Famous Five books, and also the way to tell the difference between them! (The stalactites hold tight to the roof of a cave, and the stalagmites might be able to reach them some day.)

Also, I only ever saw the word "beastly" used in a Blyton book, so I guess it's fair to say I learned that term from her as well.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

RDMorrell wrote:Stalagmites and stalactites, in one of the Famous Five books, and also the way to tell the difference between them! (The stalactites hold tight to the roof of a cave, and the stalagmites might be able to reach them some day.)
It's possible they are the only two words that I can recall learning from an EB Book. I don't remember which book but I do remember the 'difference' explanation. Thinking about it, I'd have thought it was one of the Adventure books, but I'm probably wrong.

edit: The reference is made in Billycock Hill and is on this page:
http://onlinereadfreenovel.com/enid-bly ... _hill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a reference in 'The Valley of Adventure' on this page, but there is no mnemonic.
https://bookfrom.net/enid-blyton/page,1 ... nture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Red Tower wrote:Patrins were the signpostings that gypsies left for each other. I have only come across that word in EB books.
     It's real - see here, for example:

http://www.tmg-uk.org/tmg-arts/patrin-gypsy-project/

I'm sure there are many words I first learned about in Enid Blyton - but I think most of the ones I can think of have already been mentioned: "ingots", "stentorian", "stolid", "lolloping" (quite expressive, really) - and probably others too.
     And people say her books have a very limited, simplistic vocabulary! I suspect most of Enid Blyton's critics have never read her books, but just heard what others said about them.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
RDMorrell

Post by RDMorrell »

Many thanks indeed for the additional information, Boatbuilder and pete9012S. Very much appreciated. It's funny, Billycock Hill was one of my least liked Famous Five books, yet it still taught me the difference between stalactites and stalagmites. And just like Anne, I have never forgotten! :D
Last edited by RDMorrell on 15 Aug 2020, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Rowan. I remember it coming up as a question in junior school and being the only one who knew - thanks to Billycock Hill!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Fix (getting into a). This seems to have recurring use among at least two series. I’ve never used this term in everyday language in this context. It’s very Blytonesque to me!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I just remembered another one — "civil war", which I first heard of when Enid describes it simply and memorably in The Treasure Hunters:
"Well," said Granny, "this treasure was in the Greyling family for some years, and then civil war broke out. You know what civil war is, don't you?"
"It's a war when a country fights against itself," said Jeffery. "Families against families. Daddy says it's the worst of all wars."
"It is," said Granny....
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

‘horrid’ is another one. Only and and still do, use horrible, not horrid. Although.. I have heard it used by others more recently.. is it becoming mainstream or making a comeback.. it’s probably the globalisation and the Internet eh.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

"Horrid" does still get used occasionally here in Britain, I've noticed since moving here — maybe more by older people, or when someone's being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's still around.

Have I mentioned "mackintosh" and "galoshes" as two more words I definitely first heard from Enid? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

'Galoshes' is a word I first head of in a Beatrix Potter book not an EB, when Jeremy Fisher gets half eaten by a pike. They sounded quite odd and exciting and I was disappointed to find they were only shoes! :lol:
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

We didn't have Jeremy Fisher when I was little, but I certainly learned quite a few new words from Beatrix Potter as well — like "tam o'shanter" and "soporific"!! :wink:
Society Member

RDMorrell

Post by RDMorrell »

Beatrix Potter taught me the words "impertinent" (used to describe the character of Squirrel Nutkin) and "affronted" (which is what Tabitha Twitchit was with her kittens' behaviour in The Tale of Tom Kitten). In fact, I'm pretty sure I learned the word "simpleton" (in reference to Jemima Puddle-Duck) from her as well. For books aimed at very young children, her works certainly had a sophisticated vocabulary, but were anything but soporific! :D
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Piehead wrote:Is there any words that you first saw in a book of Enid Blyton's that you had to look up and then remembered or used?(for me this was looking in the shorter Oxford of my Dad's - i.e pre internet days)
Anyone else got any examples?
Yes, it was the word "ingots" in FOATI. I've read the book some time in the late fall or winter of 1965/1966.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Reading the Mystery of the Spiteful Letters reminded me that there are 3 words I learnt - capacious as in Fatty's capacious pockets containing a clothes peg, lots of keys, a live white rat and cowed (Mr Goon to Fatty) and abounds (mystery abounding with strange clues.)
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !