The Children at Happy House - and Sequels

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
'OLD CLEAR ORF'
Favourite book/series: Mystery Of The Burnt Cottage / The Secret Island
Favourite character: Theophilus Goon

The Children at Happy House - and Sequels

Post by 'OLD CLEAR ORF' »

Split from another topic.

Not often you see all 3 of these beauties.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/752523418974261791/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: What Enid Blyton book have you recently bought?

Post by Rob Houghton »

And I love the covers on these - so much nicer than the original covers in my opinion.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
'OLD CLEAR ORF'

I so agree Rob, so vibrant and the only means of obtaining Benjy And The Others in book form, even if you have to sacrifice some of the story line in the other two. I wonder if when they chose to reissue the Happy House books, Enid saw an opportunity to add another title to the series? As I believe they were all reissued in 55.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Those wraparound covers by Dorothy Brook look stunning. I can't seem to bring up a large image using the Pinterest link (I always find Pinterest hard to use for some reason), but there are scans in the Cave:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... happyhouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
'OLD CLEAR ORF'

I think clicking on the picture initially then brings up a + zoom image. Well usually it does..lol. There are 4 pictures in total of the books on site.
'OLD CLEAR ORF'

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/73/ae ... 33086b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/52/9e ... ee2310.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0d/cd/97 ... a134c1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/5b/69 ... 912b37.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, OLD CLEAR ORF - I can see your images properly now.

Beautiful books! I'd love to have them one of these days. I only have the Collins 2-in-1 version of the first two Happy House books, plus the Dean & Son Sunshine Book and Happy Hours Story Book which include most of the chapters. I was lucky enough to collect a run of Sunny Stories containing the serialisation of Benjy and the Others so I've been able to read it, although I don't have it in book form.

Society Member
'OLD CLEAR ORF'

You are most welcome Anita, I think they are all pretty difficult to get, especially Benjy. Nice little set and very expensive. I am surprised Benjy was not included in the Collins edition.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: The Children at Happy House - and Sequels

The first two Happy House books are positive and fun, with lots of lovely little observations and family togetherness (there are arguments, lost tempers and misunderstandings, e.g. concerning the doll in the waste-paper basket and the toy monkey in the stream, but they're soon resolved).

Benjy and the Others focuses very much on Benjy rather than "the Others" and is really rather sad, as his family don't appear to have much time for him and he has a lot of problems getting ready to start school. It lacks the feel-good atmosphere and camaraderie of the preceding titles, and "Happy House" seems like a misnomer at times.

I don't know whether that's why Collins ignored the third book but it does feel different from the previous two.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Benjy and the Others focuses very much on Benjy rather than "the Others" and is really rather sad, as his family don't appear to have much time for him and he has a lot of problems getting ready to start school. It lacks the feel-good atmosphere and camaraderie of the preceding titles, and "Happy House" seems like a misnomer at times.

I don't know whether that's why Collins ignored the third book but it does feel different from the previous two.
The first two volumes of 'Happy House' are so observant, such good fun, but also really eye-opening as to the way Enid could so easily and accurately get into the minds of her child characters. The chapter about the doll in the waste paper basket, and monkey in the stream. and brilliantly observant and ring absolutely true. There's also a chapter where Benjy is in bed with a cold and feels sorry for himself, and this is so spot-on that its amazing! Enid definitely knew how the minds of children worked and quite a lot about child psychology! Nowhere is this demonstrated better than in the first two Happy House books, in my opinion. I've never read Benjy and the Others - but from what I've heard about it, I'm not really desperate to do so!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
'OLD CLEAR ORF'

Ah thanks Anita, wondered where my post went, didn't think to subject it under a heading of the title of the books.
Much easier to find now.
Yes Anita and Rob, I agree with you both in that the first two books were more family orientated, and certainly had a more feel good factor about them, especially with those wonderful coloured illustrations in the Shakespeare Head Press editions. Wonder what those Latimer House books fetch nowadays, the former are expensive enough.
tix

Post by tix »

'Happy House Children' has been mentioned recently and here are a few snippets about the series which typify once again Enid Blyton's skill at creating tales about English family life that allow readers to join her characters and take part in their day-to-day activities. One factor to be considered is the author's descriptions of conflicts or problems. These add interest because I think we all like to read about such experiences without having to face any of the consequences.

I have only the second and third of the original series but the first is reprinted in one of those 'Collins' books together with 'Happy House Children Again,' and the pictures look as if they're by Hilda McGavin.

Just like the family who occupied Red-Roofs, Jack, Jane and Benjy move into 'Happy house' and confront various situations ..... good and not so good. A farm girl presents them with a puppy in their early days which they name 'Patter' - so 'Now we are Six.' The children have their own special jobs of course and we're introduced to Monkey' who plays a fairly large part in the overall setup. He's been handed down from Jack to Jane, and then to Benjy (the youngest) and the little boy is very fond of him.

It doesn't take long for Benjy and Jane to have an argument due to a slight misunderstanding but it's soon sorted out. There's a next-door neighbour named' Miss Plum' on whom they call and who owns an entrancing cuckoo-clock. She also has a little nodding-man on her mantlepiece - and where might we have seen one of those before? I'm sure at least one other EB tale has a 'little nodding man' - besides the one and only 'Noddy' of course. In Chapter Eight Patter gets 'kidnapped' by a bus but luckily Jane manages to retrieve him after an adventure. 'Adventures' in these books are 'little' ones and certainly not on par with those such as the Trents and the Mannerings have confronted in their day. Finally there's a bout of sickness for Benjy followed by a birthday for Mummy.

In 'Happy House Children Again' the family returns with a regular Blyton artist - Kathleen Gell. Naturally an EB reference to females has to occur -

"My Daddy says that boys should look after girls and carry things for them and help them," says Benjy.

"Girls are silly. Let them wait on us, that's what I say," states Tommy (Miss Plum's nephew).

Well, I think he makes a good point. Anything to make our lives a little easier, but I don't think the idea would get all that much house room these days. The relationship with Miss Plum's nephew sours somewhat when they're playing Red Indians because Tommy shoots poor Patter with an arrow. Later a broken cucumber-frame gets Jack into trouble despite his innocence and then, after a cacophonous thunderstorm, a friendship is forged with Tommy and his sister Betty prior to their departure from Miss Plum's residence where they'd been holidaying.

When Jane rescues a tormented kitten, 'Jumpy' joins the family and it can be noted that Benjy's the 'George' or 'Dinah' in this series - amply demonstrating his temper at one stage when Monkey inadvertently experiences a ducking. The chapters ends with a picnic on Breezy Hill - a location that may also have been used more than once by the author.

In volume three featuring the same artist, Benjy actually has his name mentioned in the title. Perhaps it's because he stands out a little more than Jack and Jane despite being only about six or seven years old. He certainly shows plenty of courage when rescuing Monkey from a tall tree although his jersey is ripped in the process. Then when trying to mend it himself, he sticks the needle into his finger and howls the place down. Mummy informs him -

"Sewing isn't a boy's job."

So there you are, now we know. Benjy's attempt at playing games in Chapter Four doesn't go too well especially when he's ribbed by an older boy called Michael; however they later become firm friends. One day their cook and bottle-washer (Hannah) falls down the stairs and ends up in bed, which is a pity because it means the children can't visit the Zoo. Not to worry though. They all chip in to make life less miserable for the invalid by bringing her a jigsaw to while away the time. Jane donates some flowers and Benjy even lets Hannah borrow Monkey for a while which is very kind of him. They take on the shopping and even fetch in some washing so we can deduce that a reward just has to be in the offing and there is ...... courtesy of Miss Plum. An accompanying picture of the London Underground escalators may represent the Holborn line.

At one stage Jane starts up a 'school' to teach her dolls, teddies, and little Benjy a few items of importance such as the A B C, and our lad ends up as top scholar. Bravo for him! The tales end with another birthday and also 'A Dreadful Upset.'

'Dreadful' is a well-used Enid Blyton word but despite it's presence, everything comes right.

It says so.
'OLD CLEAR ORF'

Wow! Like a bus you wait for one, and two turn up at once?????
2 Copies of Benjy for sale on ebay, one from Australia and one from the UK.....one has gone already, pity I can't upload a picture for you all to see when both were up. Never rains it pours hey? Both are / were for sale at around the £75 mark.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I had no idea that the first two Happy House books were re-issued in a similar format to 'Benjy' which of course makes perfect sense. What a lovely set they make.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

The UK one must be the one I bought Old Clear Orf :D. I'm very happy indeed to have got it, it looks like there's more story to it somehow than the other two in their original editions. Also, as beautiful and unusual as the original illustrations are, I do like the covers on the reprints more.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶