Pip, Larry and Daisy

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: Pip, Larry and Daisy

Post by Jack400 »

Thanks also to Nair.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Jack400 wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 18:20 Thanks, Bertie and Barnard.
As regards the query about Daisy, I think Barnard gave a very good answer - I'd forgotten about it being Daisy who first thought of Mrs Hicks being the one leaving the messages around Goon's property and then often 'finding' them herself. That led Fatty to follow her to a house and find the cut up newspapers and really put him on the right trail. So that was definitely Daisy's best contribution to a mystery.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Bertie, thanks, I need to review my thoughts!
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

There are a whole lot of supporting characters in FF--too-- Nobby, Jock, Edgar , Sooty, his sister ( forgot her name) Toby, Aily, the twins in Fiiniston farm,.Jo -the ragamuffin is indeed a great supporting character , Tinker, Henrietta, Sniffer, Richard Kent, -In.Kirrin island.again.-- there's that artist boy, tjen.the.twins in.On a secret trail-- I often.wonder why Enid Blyton did not bring up any of her supporting characters again -- I would love to have known what they all were doing -- are they friendly with the Five? Its kind of nostalgic
Tin Tin

Post by Tin Tin »

Regarding Pip and The Invisible Thief. His contribution was purely accidental. Though he was stomping about in large shoes as a joke on Fatty, it did not occur to him that that eas the way it might have been done.
A bit of an air head as we might say today. Coupled with his constant dread of his parents seeing his latest School Report each holiday, I think we can take it that he wasn't the brightest of boys. Spotting a button seems to have been his entire contribution to a fifteen book series. Oh and climbing a tree.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Tin Tin wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 18:42 Regarding Pip... Spotting a button seems to have been his entire contribution to a fifteen book series. Oh and climbing a tree.
I always think that was such a poor premise for 'finding the next mystery'. Had the furnished room been clean of dust, and clearly regularly used in a supposedly empty house, then it would be hugely significant. But the room looking full of dust and like it's never been used for ages hardly screams 'mystery'.
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I agree. Or telling them it's a "room out of time" or some reason why they want to go and see and then they see things moved. Much more suspicious.
It also irritates me that the one day Fatty goes in is when they decide to meet there. I'd have thought after suspicions were raised one person would have gone to check and then they'd have steered clear.

I do like the story, it really begins the beginning of the FF with their tricks and games within the mysteries, but the mystery could have been better thought out.
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

I never liked Pip. Always seemed a bit of a git.

Larry was ... ok, but just kinda there. Daisy was a bit forgettable. Really, Enid should have scrapped Pip or Larry and made Ern a permanent Find-Outer because he had more personality.
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

Nair Snehalatha wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 10:51 There are a whole lot of supporting characters in FF--too-- Nobby, Jock, Edgar , Sooty, his sister ( forgot her name) Toby, Aily, the twins in Fiiniston farm,.Jo -the ragamuffin is indeed a great supporting character , Tinker, Henrietta, Sniffer, Richard Kent, -In.Kirrin island.again.-- there's that artist boy, tjen.the.twins in.On a secret trail-- I often.wonder why Enid Blyton did not bring up any of her supporting characters again -- I would love to have known what they all were doing -- are they friendly with the Five? Its kind of nostalgic

Jo was my fav supporting character. I would have loved a Jo series.

Sooty was a lot of fun, too--him biting Block was one of the funniest Famous Five chapters lol.

I imagine Nobby still works for the circus with the elephant and chimp
Sooty became a children's entertainer
Toby retired from the RAF with a high rank
Aily still lives on the mountain with sheep
The twins run Finniston Farm, with Old Granddad prowling the fields with his massive Claymore
Jo travels from town to town solving mysteries
Tinker was finally thrown from the top of the lighthouse after surprising Professor Hailing by impersonating a ship blowing its fog horn
Henrietta now runs the horse place
Sniffer became Jo's side kick. His hanky is still in pristine condition
Richard Kent inherited his land from his dad and is still a prick
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

:D :D excellent Angry Pixie.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Of the supporting FF characters, I always liked Jock and Sooty the best. Jock feels the kind of solid, all round character - with a mix of likeability, bravery and humour - that would have made a good, main character in any of the series.

Jo was a good character as well, but I'm put off her a little just by the fact that she seems to be another factor of the 'put down the original George' mindset that Enid developed. I liked the original defiant George, who loved solitude and her pet more than anything in the world. But Enid seems to add more and more layers to prove how 'wrong and silly' that attitude was - including the likes of Berta, Jo, and Henrietta making more 'realistic' boys.
Society Member
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

Who was Jock again? I'm not remembering him.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Jock was the boy on the farm in Five Go Off To Camp. He went down to watch the 'spook trains' with them, dressed up as a Red Indian to scare the awful sounding Cecil Dearlove, and had a lovely dog called Biddy.
Last edited by Bertie on 25 Nov 2023, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
TheAngryPixie

Post by TheAngryPixie »

Can't believe I forgot about him. Yeah, he was a fun one.

Cecil Dearlove is a cracking name. I can imagine him being Softy Walters from the Beano's friend.
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Pip was - well as his father said, 'a bit of a pipsqueak.' He did not seem to really grow (physically or mentally) or improve at all during the series. Bets was much more intelligent, interesting and brave.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;