The River of Adventure

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
jstevens1

The River of Adventure

Post by jstevens1 »

Hi everyone!

I have just been reading about the River of Adventure, the last of the Adventure Series. It was an exciting book which had a similar plot to the Ship of Adventure in the sense that there were treasures involved and in both cases, villains (such as Mr Eppy in the Ship of Adventure and Raya Uma in The River of Adventure) were trying to loot them. In both books there were children who attached themselves to the Cunningham family to escape from physical and mental abuse - Lucian from abusive uncle Mr Eppy in the Ship and Oola from his abusive snake charmer uncle (who was not involved with Raya Uma) in River of Adventure. Luckily Lucian was initially taken in by some family friends and then later on another set of relatives (Mr Eppy's wife stood by him) and Oola was taken on by Tala to assist him in his hotel guide work.

There was one potential life-threatening situation in River and that was when the River turned into an underground waterfall at the gorge were the treasures were kept. If it had not been for Tala's skill, the party could have easily been thrown off the boat and dashed onto the rocks.

It was really sad to read the last sentence starting with "Goodbye Kiki you always have the last word" as this really meant the end of the Cunningham family adventure books. Really, though, due to plots being rehashed with variations, Enid was starting to run out of ideas and decided to halt the series at this point as we would have probably found subsequent books tedious. However, I would have liked Enid to have mentioned in River of Adventure that the boys would have been starting Sixth Form on their return to school - this would have been an excellent round off as it would have told us that the Cunningham children were getting too old for adventures and were soon to be going their separate ways - either attending University or getting a job. That would then put an end to these family holidays where the family would collectively fall into adventures, particularly due to the nature of Bill's job. Unfortunately the academic year that the kids are/were in was never mentioned. At least, as other readers have said, there is a promise to Oola that the Cunningham family will revisit the temple once it has been fully excavated six years down the line and Oola will be their guide - so at least this gives a little insight into that family's longer-term future.

It would have also been nice to have known that the Cunningham family were keeping in touch with Gussy from Circus of Adventure and had planned to revisit Tauria Hessia, but then I suppose Bill and Allie would not have wanted the kids to have got caught up in another revolutionary coup.

Your thoughts on River?

I would be delighted to hear them.

With kind regards,

Joanne
Last edited by jstevens1 on 22 Jun 2019, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The River of Adventure

Post by Rob Houghton »

For me, as with all the Adventure books, the setting is the star. Many people consider the plot of 'River' to be one of the weakest -- but forget the plot - the RIVER is the star - sometimes vast and wide, sometimes narrow and rushing along down deep gorges, sometimes smooth and calm, other times bubbling and frothing. I really enjoy the feeling of a journey in this book - and in a way its fitting that this is the last book in the series. The characters are all together - they embark on their journey - travel along the river to its destination, and the flow of the river provides the book with its pace - rather like a fairground ride - we jump on, and then have no choice but to stay on board until the end - and the end of the journey is inevitable as the book speeds towards it.

The adventure is very much secondary, but then I often prefer the descriptions, settings, how the characters interact, etc, to the 'Adventure' or 'Mystery' part f any Blyton book. Its not my favourite book in the series, but it is a strong ending to a series that doesn't really have any weak books. Enid stopped while she was still at the peak of her powers, and so there's no real 'dropping off' as their is with the Fatty books, or Secret Seven, or Famous Five.
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 22 Jun 2019, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I always have mixed feeling about River. I find it quite an exciting book. Like Rob I love the boat journey as they all travel down the river waking up in new places each day with the plot gradually unfurling as they go. The scenes after Bill and Allie are kidnapped are quite suspenseful as the boat careers faster and faster down the ever narrowing river. And as always Enid gives us a wonderful description of the underground treasure caves and the passages and tunnels leading to them.

On the other hand I think Raya Uma is a fairly weak "baddie". He is by no means as scary as earlier villains of the series like Jo-Jo, Scarface, or the faceless "enemy" from Sea.

And then there's the fact that it's the end of the series. The first two books I ever read were the Sea and Valley of Adventure and these four kids plus Bill and Allie are possibly my all time favourite literary characters. Therefore I always dread the end of River as it means I have to say goodbye to them; at least till the next re-read. :lol: I'm not sure that telling us about their school status would have made much difference to that feeling. The knowledge that they are growing up and maybe soon separating would actually have made it worse in my opinion. To me they remain forever children, there between the covers just waiting to restart their adventures anytime I pick them off the shelf.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote: The knowledge that they are growing up and maybe soon separating would actually have made it worse in my opinion. To me they remain forever children, there between the covers just waiting to restart their adventures anytime I pick them off the shelf.
Yes I agree - River has that feeling of 'inevitability' about it, as I called it - growing up - being dragged into the future as surely as a river drags us along. Its sort of unstoppable - like growing up and growing older - that's why I think its fitting that this is the last book in the series. The River pulls us towards the end of the series, and we really get that feeling - almost of resentment - that the river is forcing us to the end of the very last book! As you say - the great thing is we can start all over again when we open up the earlier volumes once more! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, being "on the move" and not knowing what you're going to encounter next is part of what makes The River of Adventure so alluring and exhilarating, yet the feeling of being pulled inexorably towards the end of the series certainly does lend the story a melancholy air. As a child I first read the book right at the end of the summer holidays when I was nine. Although I didn't read all the titles in the intended order, I did happen to read River last of all and I felt really sad when I reached the final page and knew that there were no further adventures involving Jack, Lucy-Ann, Philip and Dinah. The fact that the summer holidays were also about to finish made me feel even more depressed!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well I've finished River of Adventure, and still wouldn't rate it as highly as some of the others.

There is a silly mistake in the book when Bill is startled by Kiki's impression of a police whistle which he says he hasn't heard before, and yet only a couple of pages into the story, Bill returns home to Kiki whistling and calling for the police!

I've made several other comments in the 'what book are you reading' thread, but have a couple more to add.

The finding of the treasure and the race to stop a 'bad man' finding it first seems too similar to Ship of Adventure, and the children's wonder at the waterfall seems a little strange as they'd already encountered one in the Valley of Adventure.

However, plot weakness aside, some of Enid's writing is brilliant. Just little phrases like 'those broken rainbows" to describe the light shining on the spray is simple but lovely. And for those critics of Enid who have accused her of using simplistic language obviously haven't read this book, with words such as 'fathomless' and 'tumultuous'.

While I think the plot is rather weak, especially the ending, I do think the idea of Mr Uma being convinced he was in agony from snake poison quite amusing.

Generally I feel Enid Blyton ends off her books well, but this one seems to fizzle out a bit - while I wouldn't have expected Oola to be adopted by the family and taken home, there is no mention of what will happen to him, other than he will 'keep clean and go to school'. In my head I would like to think that Tala has become fond enough of him to give him a home, and maybe the Cunningham's sponsor him by sending money for his keep, but other than a comment about returning to visit the excavations one day for Oola to show them round and that they will never forget him, they seem happy to jump on a ship and leave him behind.

Elitism at its worst. :(
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Good catch about the police whistle, Katharine!

I agree that Enid Blyton's vocabulary is not as simple as some people claim. At the age of nine I learnt the word "cataract" (meaning "large waterfall") from The River of Adventure. Up until then, I'd only heard about cataracts on the eyes.

I'm not sure I'd call the Cunninghams/Mannerings/Trents (sorry - I've no idea whether they all took Bill's surname!) elitist in their attitude to Oola. Enid Blyton writes that the boy was "as astonishing a find as any of the treasures in the temple. Would they ever see him again? Yes, of course!" The emphatic "Yes, of course!" suggests that they'll continue to take an interest in Oola's welfare, though it would have been reassuring to know for definite. Mrs. Mannering has a good heart and has taken two extra children into her family so I'm sure she'd want to know that Oola was settled somewhere.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 17:23
I'm not sure I'd call the Cunninghams/Mannerings/Trents (sorry - I've no idea whether they all took Bill's surname!) elitist in their attitude to Oola. Enid Blyton writes that the boy was "as astonishing a find as any of the treasures in the temple. Would they ever see him again? Yes, of course!" The emphatic "Yes, of course!" suggests that they'll continue to take an interest in Oola's welfare, though it would have been reassuring to know for definite. Mrs. Mannering has a good heart and has taken two extra children into her family so I'm sure she'd want to know that Oola was settled somewhere.
I haven't got the book to hand at the moment, but I felt there were several examples of 'snobbery' throughout. I seem to recall Bill was one example. I can understand his concerns at finding Oola on the boat, but I think that when he agrees to him staying he says something along the lines that Tala must wash him because he smells. While that was probably a fair request, it was the way that Bill said it that I didn't like - the poor lad probably couldn't help it if he didn't smell very fragrant. Also, why should Tala have to wash Oola? Tala didn't have any involvement in Oola joining the boat, if anything he probably would have turfed him off if it had been up to him.

I know Tala was employed by the family, but I don't recall any 'please' or 'thank yous' when they asked for food etc - more that orders were barked out. Similarly at the end of the book the children are barking orders out to the natives about who is going to drive which vehicle etc.

I'm probably not explaining it very well. :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Oh, you are, and you may well have a point. However, although I remember the ending of the book pretty clearly, and certain scenes and events, I don't recall all the details of how Oola, Tala and other local people are spoken to and treated. It's something to look out for on my next reading!

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I never noticed those details so will have to read the book again! What I do remember is that Tala resented the fact that Oola was allowed to join them on the trip and treated him rather harshly.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

The passage in question:

Dinah was sitting as far away from Philip as she could, trying not to think of the snake he had somewhere about his person. She still felt very upset but she was doing her best to be sensible. Bill felt pleased with her. He turned to her. ‘You agree too, Dinah?’
She nodded. ‘Yes. I wish he was cleaner and not so smelly, but I like him.’
‘Oh, well - we can soon get rid of the dirt and the smell,’ said Bill. ‘I’ll give him a trial, and tell Tala to see that Oola washes himself, and has a clean bit of cloth to wind round his middle. I’ll call Oola. OOLA! OOLA!’
Oola dropped the piece of wire he had been holding while Tala tinkered with the engine and ran forward immediately, his heart thumping. Was he to be turned away?
He stood before Bill, eyes downcast. ‘Oola,’ said Bill, ‘we are going to give you a chance and let you stay with us while we are on this ship. You will do everything that Tala tells you. I am Big Master, he is Little Master. Understand?’
‘Big Master kind, Big Master good!’ said Oola, his eyes shining. ‘Oola glad. Oola be good worker!’ He looked at Philip, his face one big smile. ‘I be with my lord!’ he said to him. ‘Oola lord’s servant! Oola work for him!’
Bill called Tala. ‘Tala! Come here a minute!’ Tala came so quickly that it was quite obvious he had been listening. He bowed and stood waiting, his face rather sulky.
‘Tala - Oola is to stay with us while we are on the ship. See that he washes himself and becomes clean. See that he does not steal. Give him work to do. Tell me if he is good or bad.’
Tala bowed again but said nothing. He sent a quick look at Oola, who was now standing as close to Philip as possible, his head bowed, listening.
‘That’s all, Tala,’ said Bill. ‘Today we go on down the river, and I will tell you where to stop.’
‘Very good, Master,’ said Tala, and went off, still looking rather grim. He heard his name called again.
‘Tala! Tala, Tala, Tala!’ He went running back at once. But this time the caller was Kiki, who felt that she could not keep silent any longer! ‘Tala! Wipe your feet! One, two, four, seven, three, quick march! PHEEEEEEEEEEE!’
The police-whistle ending startled everybody, especially Oola, who almost threw himself overboard in his fright. Tala forgot his sulks and burst into one of his enormous guffaws, staggering about the deck in delight at the parrot’s ridiculous talk.
‘Stop that whistling, Kiki,’ ordered Mrs. Cunningham. ‘It goes right through my head. What a din!’
‘Din-din-din-dinner!’ chanted Kiki, enjoying the interest she had created. Din-din-din...’
But a sharp tap on her beak from Jack silenced her, and she flew to a corner and muttered rude things all to herself.
‘Tala, take Oola with you and deal with him,’ said Bill. ‘See that he gets clean from top to toe first of all. He smells.’
This was news to Tala. He hadn’t even realized that Oola had an unpleasant smell. But he sniffed in his direction at once and pretended that he could smell something horrid. He wrinkled up his nose in disdain.
‘Bad,’ he said, scornfully. ‘Bad smell. Pooh!’
‘Pooh!’ repeated Kiki in delight, waddling out of her corner. ‘Pooh! Boo! Bad smell, pooh!’
Tala roared, grabbed Oola by the hand, and went off with him, Oola protesting all the way.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

When Philip had his non dangerous Bargua snake, how could they be sure if it was always the same one and not another one trying to snuggle up to him.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I know what you mean Katharine about the hint of elitism in the book. There is definitely a faint sense of colonialism about it. However that was entirely natural and normal at the time it was written and I am a firm believer in using such scenes as windows into the past and guides as to how people thought and acted in those days rather than excoriating them for not living up to 21st century norms. I have always found a great deal of similarity between the characters and situations of Oola and Mafumu from The Secret Mountain. I remember that when I first heard that the latter was to go out of print due to concerns about it's portrayal of Africans I felt a cold tremor that River might suffer the same fate due to Oola and his worship of "his lord".

I do like the book a lot. There is a fabulous dreamlike quality to the early scenes of them travelling down the river and Blyton very skillfully sketches in a feeling of the exotic with their initial hotel stay and especially with the scenes in "Sinny Town". I am sure it gave me a love of travel. Many years later I took a two day boat ride down the River Nile in Egypt and had a wonderful time observing scenes along the riverbank which seemed not to have changed from biblical times. It's a pity, as Anita said, that Enid was not a bit more specific about the river's location. I suppose she felt it best to be vague as she probably didn't know that part of the world well enough to describe any particular country with accuracy.

Raya Uma is indeed the book's biggest letdown. Possibly the wettest villain in the Adventure series. And the end always leaves me melancholy as this is to be the last time we hear of my all time favourite characters. I usually promise myself a speedy re-read of the series as a consolation. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the passage, Wolfgang, though I'd have to reread the book as a whole to get the complete picture.

John (Lucky Star), I feel the same about reading older books. The historical aspects add an extra layer of interest and it's fascinating to see how attitudes have evolved over time.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wolfgang, thanks for the above passage, obviously my memory was a bit selective and it doesn't appear to be quite so bad as I thought it was.

John, although I felt uncomfortable with some aspects of the book, I agree that I certainly don't want them rewritten or edited out. I can accept that Enid was just reflecting some attitudes from the time the book was written. I must admit I don't remember much about Mafumu either, so don't know how similar (or not) his treatment was.

It's interesting that reading those books influenced some people to want to travel, as I mentioned above, if anything it put me off ever wanting to visit such countries! :)
Society Member