Reality on The Secret Island

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Reality on The Secret Island

Post by Courtenay »

We were always taught at school that burn creams aren't good and you should definitely always just stick a burn under cold water. Fire safety is a big thing in Australia (because of the danger of bushfires) and we're all taught from a young age how to evacuate safely, what to do if someone's clothing catches fire, how to treat burns and so on. Another thing I don't think Enid's characters ever had to deal with!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks, Daisy. I have bought myself a special cushion for at work and that helps a lot. Unfortunately there are few treatments for a damaged / dislocated coccyx short of having it removed (which is a huge undertaking and can actually be more painful than the injury!) but the hope is that it will heal in time. At ten months it's a lot better than it was.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:We were always taught at school that burn creams aren't good and you should definitely always just stick a burn under cold water. Fire safety is a big thing in Australia (because of the danger of bushfires) and we're all taught from a young age how to evacuate safely, what to do if someone's clothing catches fire, how to treat burns and so on. Another thing I don't think Enid's characters ever had to deal with!
I know in the old days, it was always suggested you cover burns with butter! I can't imagine how that would have helped, and indeed, I'm sure it would have made things worse! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I really must get on and actually read the book (The Secret Island itself, I mean) now that I've got a copy and have finished all the other books I was reading first and have therefore run out of excuses!! I'll begin it today after lunch and before my work shift (I've got something else to do this morning and am just procrastinating now). And may "reality" NOT intrude on it. :mrgreen: :P
Can't wait to read your review of "Secret Island", Courtenay!
I think it's one of EB's best.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, I'll be getting to it shortly! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

Joking aside, The Secret Island really is a good book with a wonderful atmosphere. I enjoy reading how the children solve their problems. Some of it's pure luck, like how well the crops grow; but Jack, Nora, Peggy and Mike really are quite creative.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I just hope everyone doesn't build it up so much that Courtenay ends up disappointed! I know that can often happen with books and films!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I was thinking that too. Hope you do enjoy it Courtenay. It was my first Blyton novel, although I had "I'll Tell you a Story" a bit earlier. It is still one of my favourites.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Hope you will enjoy it, Courtenay. :D
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Courtenay wrote:We were always taught at school that burn creams aren't good and you should definitely always just stick a burn under cold water. Fire safety is a big thing in Australia (because of the danger of bushfires) and we're all taught from a young age how to evacuate safely, what to do if someone's clothing catches fire, how to treat burns and so on. Another thing I don't think Enid's characters ever had to deal with!
Sounds like very good advice, Courtenay. Perhaps the best advice is that if you can 'reasonably' do without tablets/painkillers you are better off doing so- as your body will ultimately have to filter out and dispose of the toxin - i.e. the painkiller that you have ingested.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

If I didn't imagine it someone was asking when the need to go to the toilet was a plot item. Then today I watched "Jumanji"- the latest version- and a woman that selected **spoiler alert** a male character needed the toilet - and wanted a male character to show her how(!). While I consider the original Jumanji to be little short of brilliant i can't say the same of the 'follow-on/ rip off.
I also read in the mid/ the late 70s a book called " A Chance To Kill"- sorry I can't remember the author's name. That mentioned the toilet. ("can") too.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

mynameisdumbnuts wrote:Joking aside, The Secret Island really is a good book with a wonderful atmosphere. I enjoy reading how the children solve their problems. Some of it's pure luck, like how well the crops grow; but Jack, Nora, Peggy and Mike really are quite creative.
When I feel down, then I love to read "Secret Island". It's as if I'm diving into another world.
Works for me each time. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Jack400 wrote:If I didn't imagine it someone was asking when the need to go to the toilet was a plot item. Then today I watched "Jumanji"- the latest version- and a woman that selected **spoiler alert** a male character needed the toilet - and wanted a male character to show her how(!).
And there's one plot twist you REALLY wouldn't find in Enid Blyton... the mind boggles. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I just hope everyone doesn't build it up so much that Courtenay ends up disappointed! I know that can often happen with books and films!
Well, you’ll all be pleased to know I’ve started it and I’m certainly not disappointed yet... it’s just a gorgeous story so far! :D
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

That's good to hear! Its actually not one of my top favourites (unlike many on here) but I think its a very good read, and I've read it several times. Each time I think I appreciate it more, as its so different from her later books in many ways. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member