Bullying

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Bullying

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:I was called Big Ears, but it never upset me. We used to say, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Not totally true, of course.
I think nicknames like that are just amusing - like me being called 'skinny' and my friend being called 'goofy' - they are used with affection.

The things that hurt me were usually things that kids said about my parents (most of whom had never even met them) such as calling my mom a 'slag' and a 'prostitute' etc. That used to upset me far more than being called stupid names myself. When kids suggested that they hoped my mom would die of cancer, that was also upsetting.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I was never bullied at school, junior or secondary, but we used to have fun names for each other, which was all harmless of course. I wonder if the kids back then when I was at school, weren't quite as nasty as some of the things I've just read on here!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I was never bullied at school, junior or secondary, but we used to have fun names for each other, which was all harmless of course.
I agree - its harmless good fun, and for the most part that was what I experienced, except for that awful first year of Secondary school.

Its funny how things affect us or change our perceptions of what is 'normal', as when I hear people say 'I was never bullied at school' - although I know that is true for most children (thankfully) I tend to think 'school without bullying? Is there such a thing?' Sadly bullying was rife in my secondary school - and it usually involved half the class ganging up on one child. :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Bullying may have gone on in both my schools, Rob, I don't know, but I was never bullied, nor really witnessed anything either. Maybe as kids back in the 50's we were all just happy to play together, I don't really know. But the subject never really came up with the teachers or parents. And in those days, if you were misbehaving the teacher would give you a clout, and you'd get one when you got home if your parents found out too!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very true Julie - the good old days,when teachers were respected.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: And in those days, if you were misbehaving the teacher would give you a clout, and you'd get one when you got home if your parents found out too!!
Very true even when I was young. Most parents back then were like that.
Last edited by sixret on 13 Mar 2018, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Are there bullies in Enid Blyton’s books?
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:Very true Julie - the good old days,when teachers were respected.
We used to get a heavy text book thudded down on our heads if we so much as looked around in our maths class! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

In my dad's primary school when the bell for recess would ring all the kids would take pens and rulers and books and whatnot and just play some sort of war game the whole recess. They stopped after someone lost an eye. :|

In my school the only physical punishment the girls would get was from this cranky old maths teacher in 5th grade who'd rap on our hands with a wooden duster if we misbehaved, talked, or gave the wrong answer. He also told the best stories about Siberia to the entire class though, so we didn't complain, though it hurt like a b. :lol:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't think anyone who has lived in Britain all their lives who is under 40 would really remember corporal punishment at all, which is amazing. Makes me feel very old!

I remember in junior school Mr Martin, who was very 'old school' with grey flannels, blue blazer, army tie, doling out 'the ruler' during play times. I went in from the playground to take a teacher's cup to the staff room once and saw him with three boys, all standing on the corner squares of the games pitch in the assembly hall, awaiting their fate. He gave them several whacks with a ruler while the others watched, lol! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Gosh I thought I'd had a bad time with bullying until I read some of the replies here :( .

I got picked on for behaving, I was 'teacher's pet' because I wouldn't rebel, misbehave, be a nuisance, answer back, or get into trouble. I obeyed the school rules and respected them, never yelled down the corridors or outside, didn't smoke, swear, drink, take things to class which weren't allowed or get caught behind the bike sheds as the rest of the class did so I was seen as Miss Goody Two Shoes, and due to this most of the other kids either poked fun at me, teased me, wouldn't speak to me as I wasn't 'cool' enough or tried to get me into trouble as I was so against doing so myself. I didn't mind not being spoken to, infact I used to try and stay silent at the back in the hope of not being noticed as it was better than being relentlessly teased.

The boys I found quite horrendous, they knew I was shy and extremely upstanding and principled so deliberately acted indecorous and crude to try and get a reaction and the girls weren't much better as they encouraged them. They seemed to see being respectable as scornful and stupid. I remember one day while the class was waiting for the teacher to arrive to the after break lesson, a boy who'd been sort of fixated on me for weeks grabbed me and pinned me against him and the wall. All the other boys egged him on which was sadly no surprise, but I was shocked to realise that the other girls, my so called classmates, were doing the same, not one of them told him to stop it or tried to help me as I struggled to get him to let me go, all they did was tell him to 'get it done quick before the teacher comes', which thankfully she did, but I've always wondered what would have happened if she hadn't. I couldn't even tell her as I knew none of them would have backed me up and they'd have only been worse with me then for being a tell-tale. I did make sure never to stand alone outside the classrooms with them again though, instead I would stand around a corner out of sight until the teacher arrived.

I've always been taught never to let someone see how they've affected you as they'll know the chink in your armour, instead smile and laugh to hide it, but I found a lot of the time I just couldn't fake a laugh. I hated my school years because of most of my classmates, I dreaded going in most days, and avoided school outings and trips as I couldn't stand the thought of being trapped in the bus on the way there with them. I pretended I didn't want to go - to the point the teacher offered to pay thinking we were short of money! - I didn't mind missing out the yearly end of term trip but I secretly did want to go to the plays and art gallery visits I turned down. There was only 4 or 5 of us left in the whole school on end of term trip day though so I really enjoyed those days as I could relax. I used to think often how I wished it had been different or that I'd had other classmates because I did love the teachers along with most lessons, and some classmates were ok, just a shame others weren't. I don't think anti-bullying policies really work either, our school had them, didn't mean you wouldn't be picked on as soon as a teacher was out of sight.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's shocking to think of the bullying that goes on. Life can be tough enough without people going out of their way to make others feel miserable. If only everyone could live and let live!
sixret wrote:Are there bullies in Enid Blyton’s books?
Yes - especially in the Naughtiest Girl series and the Mr. Pink-Whistle stories.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote:When kids suggested that they hoped my mom would die of cancer, that was also upsetting.
Crikey! What sort of school did you go to. I have never witnessed that at any of my schools
Sadly bullying was rife in my secondary school - and it usually involved half the class ganging up on one child.
Thankfully, in spite of my attendance of a secondary modern school, I never witnessed anything like that, either.
Pete wrote:Very true Julie - the good old days,when teachers were respected.
And kids were abused by teachers with canings and beatings. I think teachers were feared more than respected.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:When kids suggested that they hoped my mom would die of cancer, that was also upsetting.
Crikey! What sort of school did you go to. I have never witnessed that at any of my schools
lol - yeah quite! That was just a normal retort at my secondary school. 'Hope your mom/sister/dad/brother dies of cancer was pretty standard stuff. :(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Charming.

Social media is the place for bullies. I have read tweets to Teresa May hoping she dies soon. I even read on Facebook that people were being bullied into subscribing to the Journal...
Society Member