Five Fall Into Adventure: the best FF book?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Five Fall Into Adventure: the best FF book?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Some years ago I noticed that Gypsy Creams (the biscuits) had been renamed Romany Creams.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Five Get into trouble is as good as Five fall into adventure.-- especially the moonlight ride they go on to reach Owls Dene. The part where.they (with Richard-) sit under the pine shadows munching.sandwiches late at night--.and the black Bentley.racing.down but stopping very close.to the Five-- to take Weston-- the escaped convict. They were off to find Dick at Owls Dene-.who was kidnapped by mistake.by Rooky's men.It makes wonderful reading
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

"Five run away together" and "Five on Kirrin island again" are easily as good as "Five fall into Adventure".
Lots of atmosphere on the island, underground passages, a cave.
Great stuff!!! :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I really like Five go to Mystery Moor.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

"Five run away together" is one of my favourites too, but I also like "Five go to Mystery Moor". I have never been very keen on "Billycock Hill" for some reason (can't really explain why!) and consider it one of the weaker books in the series.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I never liked "Billycock Hill", "...go off in a Caravan", "...go off to Camp" or "Finniston Farm".
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

Rather than opining that Five Fall Into Adventure is the best of the FF series, I rate it as the second of the excellent run of FF books that started with Get Into Trouble in 1949, and concluded with Mystery Moor in 1954. Enid was definitely at her creative peak during this period, also writing her best Secret Seven books, FFO books, the first four Barney books, and many others. All six FF books in this period, Get Into Trouble, Fall Into Adventure, On A Hike Together, Have a Wonderful Time, Go Down To The Sea, and my favourite, Mystery Moor, were top notch, in my view. Better than the first seven books, and certainly better than Secret Trail, and all the other books that followed it, with the notable exception of Get Into A Fix.

With Get Into Trouble, Enid really cranked up the quality of the FF books, and Fall Into Adventure, continued that trend. The introduction of Ragamuffin Jo, was a masterstroke, and I rate Jo as Enid's best supporting character, even better than Ern Goon. It's a pity that we only saw her for three books.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Funny, for me "Secret Trail" is among the best six FF books.

Yes, I would have enjoyed more FF sequels with Jo.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Five fall into adventure is the book where they first meet Ragamuffin Jo-- who later proves to be a very loyal friend. Ragamuffin Jo has many good traits to her character- which makes her endearable.It's a very lovely book-- and we love reading and re reading it at home.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

StephenC wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 14:31 Rather than opining that Five Fall Into Adventure is the best of the FF series, I rate it as the second of the excellent run of FF books that started with Get Into Trouble in 1949, and concluded with Mystery Moor in 1954. Enid was definitely at her creative peak during this period, also writing her best Secret Seven books, FFO books, the first four Barney books, and many others. All six FF books in this period, Get Into Trouble, Fall Into Adventure, On A Hike Together, Have a Wonderful Time, Go Down To The Sea, and my favourite, Mystery Moor, were top notch, in my view. Better than the first seven books, and certainly better than Secret Trail, and all the other books that followed it, with the notable exception of Get Into A Fix.
The stand-out books for me are Five Run Away Together, Five Go to Smuggler's Top, Five Go Off in a Caravan, Five on Kirrin Island Again, Five Fall Into Adventure and Five on a Hike Together. That means the "peak" (as far as the Famous Five books are concerned) starts and finishes a little earlier for me.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I agree with Stephen in the best famous five books but I would add to that list - Famous Five to Smugglers Top, which is probably my all time favourite. The evocative mysterious location with the sinister marshlands, number of secret passages and the way Timmy really saves the day - twice in fact - combine to make this a super book. The characters were interesting too - I had guessed that Block was baddy but I remember I was genuinely surprised that Lenoir was a goodie ! That is interesting - that this period 1949 to 1954 also saw EB create many of her best books - she was definitely at her peak then. I presume that by then she had happily remarried - the famous Kenneth Darrell Waters and this coincided with a very happy period in her life.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !